mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2012-03-16, 18:25   #56
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

@chalsall: My guess is that he's read that, because he is aware of the operation of the GPU programs. He's just asking what's the most optimal use of his resources, of which we have had many (many) discussions amongst ourselves, though yes, in the GPU subforum.

@Svenie25:
In general, we prefer to use CUDALucas at the DC level, because it does not implement the bit shift as in Prime95, and thus PrimeNet will not accept more than one LL result from CUDALucas for a given exponent. DCs have already had one check with Prime95, so they are ideal for CUDALucas. (Some users, including George himself, do use CUDALucas for first time expos, so if you want to do that, go ahead.)

So you'll be able to get two LLs on two CPU cores plus one instance of CUDALucas, or one LL plus one mfaktc. In order to make your decision, I would figure out how long it takes for you to complete an LL exponent on your GPU and on your CPU, and then compare that to how long it takes to TF one exponent. Based on this, you can see that we average roughly one factor per 100 exponents TFd; if you can TF 100 exponents with mfaktc faster than you can complete the LLs on CUDALucas and the one CPU core, then go with mfaktc. Otherwise, go with CUDALucas/Prime95.

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2012-03-16 at 18:25
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 16:37   #57
Svenie25

Aug 2008
Good old Germany

3·47 Posts

Hi guys.

At first, thanks a lot for the tipps. I decided to do mostly DC with GPU and CPU.
A few minutes ago, I got my first DC assignment and there are tow or three question.

At the assignmentprocess there are a lot of tipps for using worktodo.txt. But if I use CUDALucas there is no. Shuold I simply let it run and report the result manually via Primenet when it´s done? Or is there another way to get the factor linked to my account over there?
Svenie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 16:58   #58
bcp19

Oct 2011

2A716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenie25 View Post
Hi guys.

At first, thanks a lot for the tipps. I decided to do mostly DC with GPU and CPU.
A few minutes ago, I got my first DC assignment and there are tow or three question.

At the assignmentprocess there are a lot of tipps for using worktodo.txt. But if I use CUDALucas there is no. Shuold I simply let it run and report the result manually via Primenet when it´s done? Or is there another way to get the factor linked to my account over there?
I don't believe you can currently use worktodo.txt with CUDALucas, which means you have to start the assignment via a command line. There are 2 ways to report results, either manually or by picking up the submission spider from the GPU72 site.
bcp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:13   #59
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

29·311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp19 View Post
There are 2 ways to report results, either manually or by picking up the submission spider from the GPU72 site.
Actually, the submission spider is only for mfakt*. Thus, the only way to submit results to PrimeNet is through the Manual Submission page.

@Svenie25... Thanks very much for joining.

However, one additional bit of advice for you... When using CUDALucas it is still a good idea to use Prime95 / mprime to claim your assignment into your PrimeNet account. Simply add the assignment to your worktodo.txt file, and have Prime95 report the estimated completion date. Then remove it and process with CUDALucas.

In this way you take ownership of the candidate from the GPU72 system, and are then able to manually extend the assignment on PrimeNet if you're going to take more than 60 days to complete. Please know that if PrimeNet doesn't hear from you within 60 days it will reassign the candidate to another worker.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:37   #60
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

19×521 Posts

Quote:
.....At the assignmentprocess there are a lot of tipps for using worktodo.txt. But if I use CUDALucas there is no......
From the GPU Computing section:
Code:
cudalucas.1.66$ ./CUDALucas
Usage: ./CUDALucas [-d device_number] [-threads 32|64|128|256|512|1024] [-c checkpoint_iteration] [-f fft_length] [-s folder] [-t] [-aggressive] -r|exponent|input_filename
                       -threads set threads number(default=256)
                       -f set fft length
                       -s save all checkpoint files
                       -t check round off error all iterations
Note the -r switch. I have yet to use this one, so I'm not positive about the syntax. I believe this is saying that -r can be used as either:
Code:
CUDALucas -r [exponent] or 
CUDALucas -r [name of file containing list of exponents]
In the latter situation I think you could use any filename you choose, including "worktodo.txt". Whatever the name, it should be plain text with one exponent per line.

I would appreciate if someone knows better, and will offer corrections to the above.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 17:55   #61
Svenie25

Aug 2008
Good old Germany

2158 Posts

Made a bit of confusion here. Sorry for that.

I simply start CUDALucas with "CUDALucas1.66.cuda4.1.sm_21.x64.exe -c 10000 26xxxxxx" and it works.
My questions were more about reporting the finished result and linking the assignment with my account.
@chalsall
I tried the trick to report the assignement and it worked to link it. Then it is done, I should simply report the result via "Manual Testing" -> "Results", right?
Svenie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 18:20   #62
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

29·311 Posts

Quote:
I tried the trick to report the assignement and it worked to link it. Then it is done, I should simply report the result via "Manual Testing" -> "Results", right?
That's right.

And if you don't finish it (or any other assignments you decide to take) within 60 days be sure to "Manual Testing -> Extensions" on PrimeNet. Probably every month would be a good idea.
Old 2012-03-19, 04:00   #63
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

217F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Note the -r switch. I have yet to use this one, so I'm not positive about the syntax. I believe this is saying that -r can be used as either:
<snip>
I would appreciate if someone knows better, and will offer corrections to the above.
Not that I know better, but I believe -r is only the "selftest" of cudalucas. You can NOT use -r switch with an exponent or a file. You have to use either -r, OR (exclusive or) exponent, OR (exclusive) file.

• Using exponent is exactly as you said, one exponent only is tested.
  • Using file name - all exponents from file are tested, there must be one exponent per line, text file
  • using -r will do a selftest of CL for different FFT sizes and exponents, and compare the residues with known values. This is good as a hardware check, and you MUST USE IT AT LEAST ONCE after installing CudaLucas, before you start doing serious things!!.
  • using any combination (as "-r exponent" or "-r file" or "exponent file", etc) will result in an error.
so:

>cudalucas -d 0 -r
or
>cudalucas -d 0 -c 250000 -s backupdir -t 26545373
or
>cudalucas -d 0 -c 1000000 -s backupdir -t filewithexpos.txt

but not

>cudalucas -d 0 -c 10000 -r

The last one will result in an error, note the fact that except -d, all the other switches makes no sense to be used with -r.

You can use either

>cudalucas -r
or
>cudalucas -d <cardnumber> -r

No other switches, no exponent, he knows how many iterations to do, compare the residues with known values, he know the exponents for which he has stored residues to compare. Other switches make no sense with -r, so better you don't use them combined together.

To test a series of exponents, put them in a file and use the filename.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-03-19 at 04:12
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 04:10   #64
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

19·521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Not that I know better, but I believe -r is the "selftest" of cudalucas. You can NOT use -r with an exponent or a file. You have to use either -r, OR (exclusive or) exponent, OR (exclusive) file.

• Using exponent is exactly as you said, one exponent only is tested.
  • Using file name - all exponents from file are tested, there must be one exponent per line, text file
  • using -r will do a selftest of CL for different FFT sizes and exponents, and compare the residues with known values. This is good a a hardware check before you start to do serious things.'
  • using any combination (as "-r exponent" or "-r file" or "exponent file", etc) will result in an error.

Sooner or later, I (or someone) will test these hypotheses. I suspect that your interpretations are more in line with the "|" usage. I will post back if I verify anything.

EDIT: I see that you have expanded your response. I am not up to investigation at this hour. What you say makes sense, however.
Thanks!

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2012-03-19 at 04:13
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 14:49   #65
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

23×72×11 Posts
Default Might want to drop this one ... if not in progress

25838951 No factors below 2^67
P-1 B1=245000, B2=1163750
Verified LL A02DDB1E1625B27F by "Fabrice Bellet"
Verified LL A02DDB1E1625B27F by "Eric Christenson" on 2011-11-01
Assigned Double-checking to "GPU Factoring" on 2011-10-18
History a02ddb1e1625b2__ by "Eric Christenson" on 2011-11-01
petrw1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-29, 15:05   #66
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

29×311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Assigned Double-checking to "GPU Factoring" on 2011-10-18
Hmmm... That's odd -- Spidy has no record of ever seeing that candidate. It has definitely not been assigned to anyone to TF, let alone DC.

The reservation date is right around when I first started writing "Spidy", so perhaps it was reserved without being entered into the database. But I find it odd that PrimeNet hasn't retired it itself, since Spidy has not been "reminding" PrimeNet that it is still being worked.

Perhaps PrimeNet doesn't retire assignments for candidates which no longer require work?