henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

32·631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Hey, I just had a thought: what if we got a few subforums under the main NPLB one here are mersenneforum to lighten the sticky load? We could add two in addition to the existing ROLP subforum: one for "Drives and Primes", and one for "Project Administration", like we currently have at the "new" forum. That would leave the main subforum free for general discussion, which is largely sticky-free.

Thoughts on this, anyone?
that sounds like the best option mentioned
just keep them all visible i like reading discussions about problems
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 10:26   #13
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2·52·7·29 Posts

That sounds like an excellent idea. I think we should wait until we have all of the servers off of David's machines and get the manual stats import done as well as the needed clean up there. In other words, I think we should get the server and stats situation stabilized before embarking on any forum changes.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 15:12   #14
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Okay, sounds like a plan.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 16:59   #15
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm so we still don't have the offline work into the stats system??? If not then by all means that should take priority over working on other stuff. Seems like I remember things were ready to go on that back when the big flare up came up during that "one" long rally and was just held off until that rally was over with. ????
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 17:06   #16
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

32×631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm so we still don't have the offline work into the stats system??? If not then by all means that should take priority over working on other stuff. Seems like I remember things were ready to go on that back when the big flare up came up during that "one" long rally and was just held off until that rally was over with. ????
BTW what happened to rallies?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 19:44   #17
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111101001102 Posts

A few of our regulars didn't like them so much so we stopped. I'd like a few here and there after we get all of the servers transferred to my machines.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-12-13 at 19:45
Old 2009-12-13, 23:53   #18
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
As for manual stats importing, I'm still waiting on the DB end of that. I think Dave is still kinda busy on his end so it might not be quite yet.

As for rallies: as Gary said, yes, we'd like to do some more of those after we get the new server. Possibly one to commemorate the coming-online of the new server would be a good way to get them kicked off again.
Old 2009-12-15, 19:17   #19
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Hi all,

Phil (aka Bok, the Free-DC forum guy who helped set up the noprimeleftbehind.net forum) has sent me the forum's database and files, which I've saved off in case they're ever needed again. I've also moved the k=300-400 sieve from there to a new thread here; it's the only public thread of much substance there that wasn't essentially duplicated here.

Now all that's left before we can shut it down is the matter of the "Issues" and "CLOSED issues" forums under "Project Administration" at the noprimeleftbehind.net forum. The admins have used those to keep track of bugs and issues with the stats DB and website, and there's a bunch of valuable discussion in there about various improvements to the DB which we're planning (manual stats import, doublecheck stats, etc.) We'll need to set those up as subforums under a "Project Administration" subforum here at mersenneforum. I've asked Phil to write up instructions for Xyzzy on how to import the data from those into the new subforums when we get them.

Once that's all done, we can go ahead and take the noprimeleftbehind.net forum offline.
Old 2009-12-15, 21:38   #20
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×52×7×29 Posts

Oh, per the discussion here, I thought we were going to keep the noprimeleftbehind site for a while. No matter. I'm indifferent on what to do.

Max, thanks for moving the sieving effort here. After finishing the building of the next machines, I'll be moving at least a couple of quads to it.

I think having an n=1M-2M effort going will attract some more folks to the project.
Old 2009-12-15, 23:56   #21
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Oh, per the discussion here, I thought we were going to keep the noprimeleftbehind site for a while. No matter. I'm indifferent on what to do.
No, the plan is to shut down the noprimeleftbehind.net forum (but of course still keep the rest of the noprimeleftbehind.net website--stats, etc.), and instead solve the problem of too many stickies (one of the biggest reasons for creating our own forum) by having a couple subforums under NPLB's here at mersenneforum. We've currently just got the one for ROLP, but it should be easy enough to add one for "Drives and Primes" and one for "Project Administration". That should serve to alleveiate the sticky load on the main forum, and also to absorb all the admin discussion from the noprimeleftbehind.net forum.
Old 2009-12-16, 13:10   #22
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2·7·47 Posts

Currently the nplb stats site is nested within the forum.
Terminating the forum at this time would likely have a devastating effect on the stats pages.
I will takes steps to separate them again and advise.
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote