Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jvang

Old 2018-06-13, 21:19   #12
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×47×89 Posts

One thing that can help with the Uni's to make them overlook the F's, take Community College courses that either make up for the bad grades, or show that you are earnest. Many have programs that allow HS seniors to take some classes. Lots of CC's have summer and winter intersessions. If you still don't get in in the fall, double down on the CC's classes. Take a full load of general ed courses and starters in your major. You may wind up entering a Uni as a soph. I have heard of some folks taking GE courses in the summer session, in the fall, winter session, and spring (along with some courses in their major) and entering as a junior 1 year out of HS.

If it looks like it will be the CC as a starter, talk to a guidance counselor about which GE's are hard to get in the fall and take them in the summer.

Also, if you go to a CC, the units are cheaper and you can try out some areas of study. In addition to what wound up as my major, I took several CS and DP courses (which were different at this school and I didn't have the right grouping to get a degree in either [Fortran was a CS course and did not count toward DP, yet I dropped the BASIC class that I swapped into late*, that would have allowed me to get the DP degree {BASIC was too basic after the HS course and Fortran}]), an electronics course, a physics course, and some other random courses that fulfilled the GE requirements but were otherwise different (a laser optics math class to fulfill a math requirement.) I also took a 1 unit non-transfer class that helped me with something.

* I signed up for an "Early Education" course. Turned out it was for pre-school folks That was not what I thought it was. I dropped it and signed up for the BASIC course ASAP (to keep a full set of units). Then dropped before it would show on my record, but after I was locked in as full time.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2018-06-13 at 21:29
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-13, 23:33   #13
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

42410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
One thing that can help with the Uni's to make them overlook the F's, take Community College courses that either make up for the bad grades, or show that you are earnest. Many have programs that allow HS seniors to take some classes.
I'm already a bit familiar with taking general classes at a CC and transferring the credits; in Arkansas there's a special standard that mandates something along these lines: any college in the state system has to accept all of your transferred credits as long as the CC or other institution you got the hours at is a part of the standard. Our high school is partnered with the local CC to provide credits as a part of the standard, and the classes I didn't get F's in at ASMSA fulfilled a special agreement with the University of Arkansas.

However, I am making up the classes that I failed during this next year. What are you suggesting regarding the CC classes and my bad grades? To supplement my transcript?

Last fiddled with by jvang on 2018-06-13 at 23:34 Reason: yping is hard
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-14, 06:29   #14
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

836610 Posts

If you are doing classes at a CC that required GE classes while still in HS, the Uni's can see that you are serious and it can raise your standing outside of standardized testing (because it shows that you are earnest in your efforts [while it will also relieve pressure on their GE classes). If the F's are in classes that you are retaking, you may not complete them before applications are due. So they may not fully disappear. But any summer CC courses will be complete by the time that applications are due (and maybe fall classes). They will show that you are ready for college level work.

I live in the general area of 2 of the best CC's around (1 is a top ten national school, the other is the #1 in transfers to the state Uni system.) The stories of the benefit of CC's are all over in this area. There are several well known individuals that went to the CC that I went to. Some of them went on to Uni's and from there to great things. Also, it is close enough to a major institution, such that grad students from there would teach at the CC. We also got visits from Noble laureates that were just down the road at the big school.

TL;DR Use the CC's for all their worth, they are hidden gems of the education system.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-14, 07:03   #15
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

11100001101012 Posts

In fact I am also making use of my local CC to fill in the remaining credits on my degree.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-14, 12:35   #16
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

133468 Posts

Quote:
Take a full load of general ed courses and starters in your major. You may wind up entering a Uni as a soph.
A lot of people do this just as a way to save money -- take basic classes at a community college, then take more advanced classes at the fancy university of your choosing. I can't vouch for the strategy personally but the basic idea is sound, especially in states (like Arkansas apparently) that guarantee transferability.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-14, 16:21   #17
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

1101010002 Posts

Quote:
If you are doing classes at a CC that required GE classes while still in HS, the Uni's can see that you are serious and it can raise your standing outside of standardized testing (because it shows that you are earnest in your efforts [while it will also relieve pressure on their GE classes). If the F's are in classes that you are retaking, you may not complete them before applications are due. So they may not fully disappear. But any summer CC courses will be complete by the time that applications are due (and maybe fall classes). They will show that you are ready for college level work.

I live in the general area of 2 of the best CC's around (1 is a top ten national school, the other is the #1 in transfers to the state Uni system.) The stories of the benefit of CC's are all over in this area. There are several well known individuals that went to the CC that I went to. Some of them went on to Uni's and from there to great things. Also, it is close enough to a major institution, such that grad students from there would teach at the CC. We also got visits from Noble laureates that were just down the road at the big school.
Sounds good enough! Though I wish our local CC was notable in any way, no one visits or anything like that

Just need to figure out what to major in, then I can make a more concrete choice of colleges. Any aerospace engineers, architects, or computer scientists/professional coders around here?
Old 2018-06-14, 18:24   #18
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2×3×977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
Just need to figure out what to major in, then I can make a more concrete choice of colleges. Any aerospace engineers, architects, or computer scientists/professional coders around here?
I was a programmer/analyst for many years.
Old 2018-06-14, 22:50   #19
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

23×53 Posts

Cool! Where'd you work and how did you like it?
Old 2018-06-15, 13:33   #20
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·3·977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
Cool! Where'd you work and how did you like it?
A large research university. It's a fantastic job, although it doesn't pay particularly well compared to software jobs in the private sector.
Old 2018-06-15, 13:47   #21
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

462410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
A large research university. It's a fantastic job, although it doesn't pay particularly well compared to software jobs in the private sector.
Sometimes it’s not all about the money. You need to do something that is not against your nature, something that makes you proud and happy.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 15:29   #22
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

23·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Were you like a tenured professor doing your own research or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Sometimes it’s not all about the money. You need to do something that is not against your nature, something that makes you proud and happy.
Yeah, I'm trying to find what I'll enjoy most. Just about every STEM field pays a decent salary, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Would a gap year program or something similar be in my interests? If I apply to colleges for the 2019 fall semester, the grades from my senior year won't be on my transcript yet and I won't have been able to make up my classes. I also have basically 0 extracurricular activities, so spending a couple months volunteering somewhere would look good on my resume or something. I'm guessing that, by delaying my schooling for a year, I'll have a better shot at better financial aid at better colleges. Any thoughts?

Last fiddled with by jvang on 2018-06-15 at 15:32 Reason: typing is hard