mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2009-07-16, 00:24   #1
muzher

4,049 Posts
Default Problem after upgrading PC from v4

Hello!

I had been using Prime95 on my computer (desktop) for a while, since before 10/20/2008. No problems at all. Earlier this year I decided to also install the program on another machine (laptop) under the same account. As this was post 10/20/2008, I followed the instructions and created a new v5 account and then linked the old v4 account.

This meant I had two computers under the account, the laptop (v25.8) and "V4 Computers" (the desktop - v24). At this point I was fine. Then, just recently, I decided it was time to upgrade the desktop to v25. So I uninstalled Prime95, then installed the new version, making sure to set up the program with my correct account details.

However my account now shows 3 computers on it:

1 V4 Computers
1 Latptop
1 Desktop

I was expecting the entry for the desktop to now replace "V4 Computers." But GIMPS does not know that these are the same computer. Is it possible to correct this problem, so that "V4 Computers" no longer appears on my account and so my desktop can continue from where it left off prior to the upgrade?

I have a feeling a made a mistake by uninstalling v24 before installing v25, as opposed to simply installing over the old version. Any help would really be appreciated!
Old 2009-07-16, 01:26   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzher View Post
However my account now shows 3 computers on it:

1 V4 Computers
1 Latptop
1 Desktop
... which is perfectly normal, but not well-explained in the documentation.

Because there was a sudden hardware failure of the v4 server last year, the v5 server and v25 client (prime95) were rushed into service without having been as fully developed as had been planned. It had been planned that the v4->v5 server transition would be "seamless" and invisible ... but that part hadn't been completed when rushed into service, so the "seams" show. "V4 Computers" is one of those "seams".

Quote:
I was expecting the entry for the desktop to now replace "V4 Computers." But GIMPS does not know that these are the same computer. Is it possible to correct this problem, so that "V4 Computers" no longer appears on my account and so my desktop can continue from where it left off prior to the upgrade?
Update: I thought so, but I may be wrong. Someone else needs to answer that question.

Quote:
I have a feeling a made a mistake by uninstalling v24 before installing v25, as opposed to simply installing over the old version.
No, you made no mistake at all.

- - -
Update:

When I transferred my "V4 Computers" credit to a current designation, a small portion remained untransferred under "V4 Computers". (I had forgotten that.) I don't know why, and don't know whether that would happen to your account.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-07-16 at 02:15
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote