mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-09-10, 03:31   #23
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

32×557 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebbaj View Post
The problem does not arise on the term of law. because once dead the right we do not care !!
<snip>
Of course, a suicide, being dead, has no legal liability. However, anyone else who may have urged or assisted the suicide could face felony charges. That is an issue dealt with in "medical aid in dying" laws allowing terminally ill patients with a short (6 month) prognosis to obtain lethal prescriptions without the doctor facing prosecution for assisting a suicide.
Quote:
who came to life by his own choice?
........!!
You might be in for a shock if you look up the term antinatalism (or anti-natalism).
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 03:37   #24
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

189316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
So, you are ok with someone offing themselves because of bad medication. What is to stop a "Doctor of Death" from prescribing the one medication (with the highest probability of side effects) from a suite that are all suitable for use for a condition? Would that be right for the Dr. to do (actively attempting to help people unwitting to shuffle off this mortal coil)?
Firstly, I think it is an American thing (or maybe a Western thing, I'm not sure) to think that everything can be solved with some magic chemicals.

Everything they choose leads up to the decision point. If someone is willing to blindly trust some doc to solve whatever problem with drugs then they have to deal with the consequences of their misplaced trust.

I don't see why you keep trying to make arbitrary exceptions to allow you to interfere. Let people make up their own minds. If they make a bad choice and don't bother to check what their meds will do the that is their own concern.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 04:43   #25
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×32×557 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I don't see why you keep trying to make arbitrary exceptions to allow you to interfere. Let people make up their own minds. If they make a bad choice and don't bother to check what their meds will do the that is their own concern.
Does this go for minors that can execute on suicidal thoughts but not give full consent to which medications?

Frequently the choice is medication or death (or other severe outcome.) So opting not to receive treatment is a choice for death. So a person not opting for that is making an affirmative choice (or if they are unable, their medical proxy) to remain alive. So any suicidal side effect of the medication is counter to a rational choice.

Either you enjoy being the devil's advocate, or you have a very bleak outlook (or both).
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 05:15   #26
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

2·32·97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
...
Frequently the choice is medication or death (or other severe outcome.)
...
When doctors prescribe a treatment with severe side-effects, they should ensure that the side-effects are provided for, this is obvious in the case of induced come for instance. Why isn't it also obvious if the effects are psychic ? The medical staff should provide for the temporary delusions induced by the treatment they provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
...
a rational choice.
...
Human beings are not often rational, certainly not when taking "important" decisions. I think there are at least two references cited on this very forum : one about buying a car, the other about trading in what the stock market has to offer. And, after all, rationality is not an absolute : what one person finds rational might be considered irrational by another.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 05:29   #27
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

33×233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Does this go for minors that can execute on suicidal thoughts but not give full consent to which medications?

Frequently the choice is medication or death (or other severe outcome.) So opting not to receive treatment is a choice for death. So a person not opting for that is making an affirmative choice (or if they are unable, their medical proxy) to remain alive. So any suicidal side effect of the medication is counter to a rational choice.
I'll take your word for it that there are meds that if not taken will cause the patient to die, and if taken will cause the patient to want to die. Well so be it, you die one way or the other. If it was me I'd just choose to least painful way, my choice, my outcome. Gotta die of something. Let people make their own choices.

Patient X: Waah, these meds make me want to kill myself
Me: Okay. But why tell me? Just do it and stop whining.
Patient X: I was hoping someone would help me.
Me: I'll call Uncwilly for you, okay? He'll strap you in tight so you can't move.
Patient X: Umm ... not sure if that is better or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Either you enjoy being the devil's advocate, or you have a very bleak outlook (or both).
I certainly enjoy being a devils advocate. But these posts here are my actual thoughts.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 12:00   #28
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

32·557 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
<snip>
If someone is willing to blindly trust some doc to solve whatever problem with drugs then they have to deal with the consequences of their misplaced trust.

I don't see why you keep trying to make arbitrary exceptions to allow you to interfere. Let people make up their own minds. If they make a bad choice and don't bother to check what their meds will do the that is their own concern.
If you dismiss someone consulting an actual physician as "willing to blindly trust some doc" then what source would be more reliable? What source should they blindly trust to "check what their meds will do" -- the company that makes the drug? A Christian Science web site, perhaps? Someone that says you should drink bleach to cure what ails you?

Nowadays, even drug ads here in the good ol' USA mention possible "side effects" -- which "may include" suicidal thoughts or actions, sleepwalking, hallucinations (seeing talking bees with big blue eyes, or animated or anthropomorphized human organs), turning into a golden labrador retriever, etc.

It would be a good idea to check on the doctor -- see if there have been any complaints or lawsuits, that sort of thing. Similar to what you might do if you need to hire a roofer or a plumber.

The OP to this thread mentions those who want to take others with them when they go. Don't worry about a thing! White House weighs controversial plan on mental illness and mass shootings

Quote:
Former NBC chairman Bob Wright, a longtime friend and associate of President Trump’s, has briefed top officials, including the president, the vice president and Ivanka Trump, on a proposal to create a new research arm called the Health Advanced Research Projects Agency (HARPA) to come up with out-of-the-box ways to tackle health problems, much like the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) does for the military, according to several people who have been briefed.

After the recent shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, Ivanka Trump asked those advocating for the new agency whether it could produce new approaches to stopping mass shootings, said one person familiar with the conversations who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss them.

Advisers to Wright quickly pulled together a three-page proposal — called SAFEHOME for Stopping Aberrant Fatal Events by Helping Overcome Mental Extremes — which calls for exploring whether technology including phones and smartwatches can be used to detect when mentally ill people are about to turn violent.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 12:24   #29
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

33·233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
If you dismiss someone consulting an actual physician as "willing to blindly trust some doc" then what source would be more reliable? What source should they blindly trust to "check what their meds will do" -- the company that makes the drug? A Christian Science web site, perhaps? Someone that says you should drink bleach to cure what ails you?
Learn to do some research (not you, the patient) of their own. Most western docs seem to only care about how much money they can make from prescribing expensive drugs. Most Eastern docs seem to only care about treatments that do nothing but make you feel like you are doing something. There are of course exceptions. Find those exceptions and talk to them. Do your own research also. Ask more docs. Do more research. Ask others that have also done their own research. With a search engine and a telephone it shouldn't take more than a few hours, maybe a day, to get a good idea about things.

Have you heard about the ketogenic diets and how it helps cure childhood epilepsy? No. Most people haven't, and most docs also haven't. Most docs are more than happy to prescribe various top-dollar drugs to try and manage the problem. The drugs usually don't solve anything, they just make people feel like they are trying their best. But very few docs even know, let alone recommend, that a simple diet change can solve the problem in about 1/3rd of cases. A success rate much higher than any known drug or combination of drugs. So why don't they recommend the most successful treatment? Money. They can't get kickbacks from telling people to eat differently. And lack of caring. They learned in med school some things, and many won't bother to learn anything more for the rest of their careers.

So, yes, do your own research. Don't blindly trust a doc (or anyone) just because (s)he has some qualifications.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 14:03   #30
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

116258 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Have you heard about the ketogenic diets and how it helps cure childhood epilepsy? No. Most people haven't, and most docs also haven't.
Actually, I have. "Keto" diets are usually touted as weight-loss diets (The Atkins diet fad is a case in point), but I did some digging after seeing some recent promotions, and found that keto diets have long been known to control childhood epilepsy.

So, why are keto diets -- along with pricey prepared keto foods -- heavily promoted for weight loss? I would say money.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-10, 14:17   #31
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

33·233 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
... but I did some digging after seeing some recent promotions, and found that keto diets have long been known to control childhood epilepsy.
Yes, It isn't a secret. But asking most docs you'd think it doesn't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
So, why are keto diets -- along with pricey prepared keto foods -- heavily promoted for weight loss? I would say money.
A good place to get deeply biased advice is places that sell the same stuff they are making claims about. But I wasn't suggesting ketogenic diets for weight loss.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-11, 06:54   #32
Kebbaj
 
Kebbaj's Avatar
 
"Kebbaj Reda"
May 2018
Casablanca, Morocco

2×47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Learn to do some research (not you, the patient) of their own. Most western docs seem to only care about how much money they can make from prescribing expensive drugs. Most Eastern docs seem to only care about treatments that do nothing but make you feel like you are doing something. There are of course exceptions. Find those exceptions and talk to them. Do your own research also. Ask more docs. Do more research. Ask others that have also done their own research. With a search engine and a telephone it shouldn't take more than a few hours, maybe a day, to get a good idea about things.

Have you heard about the ketogenic diets and how it helps cure childhood epilepsy? No. Most people haven't, and most docs also haven't. Most docs are more than happy to prescribe various top-dollar drugs to try and manage the problem. The drugs usually don't solve anything, they just make people feel like they are trying their best. But very few docs even know, let alone recommend, that a simple diet change can solve the problem in about 1/3rd of cases. A success rate much higher than any known drug or combination of drugs. So why don't they recommend the most successful treatment? Money. They can't get kickbacks from telling people to eat differently. And lack of caring. They learned in med school some things, and many won't bother to learn anything more for the rest of their careers.

So, yes, do your own research. Don't blindly trust a doc (or anyone) just because (s)he has some qualifications.
very good advise. The patient must be treated before treating the disease. and the best doctor is either.
Kebbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life changes fivemack Lounge 4 2018-06-21 19:03
What is best in life? Is it PARI/GP? JM Montolio A Lounge 11 2018-03-08 06:26
life in a moment cmd cmd 1 2018-02-06 16:29
end-of-file is the end-of-me-life davar55 Programming 15 2013-02-21 19:00
Life after Death! mfgoode Soap Box 92 2010-12-19 19:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:16.


Thu Oct 28 01:16:12 UTC 2021 up 96 days, 19:45, 0 users, load averages: 3.11, 3.05, 2.92

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.