mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2016-11-20, 01:07   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default A possible, though probably unpopular, solution to patent infringement

Everyone has different opinions about copyright infringement, some people think it's a menace, some people think it's the future, and most people are somewhere in between. I've come up with an idea of what they might do to combat the problem. I'm not advocating this approach, I'm just throwing it out there.

Part of the problem with copyright infringement is this whole idea of "unlimited" perfect copies. Obviously, rich rights-holders can stay rich if they can limit the illegal copies. The problem, obviously, is with increased bandwidth and storage space, there's more and more opportunity to download and distribute. There are people benefitting from copyright infringement that don't even own a net connection, and sometimes don't even own a typical computer.

Anyway, back to the problem of limiting copies. It occurs to me that as flash memory gets cheaper, there could come a point where, instead of buying dvds, companies might start encouraging people to buy cheap dongles that are intended to be used similar to dvds, but with a twist.

Picture, instead of a hard drive, a box with a small pass-through. The pass-through exists so the tiny item can tell the "box" how to contact it, and also gives it information on what it contains. So they tiny physical item keeps the information, and you access it through a connection that happens within the box. They could make all entertainment systems made after a certain date prefer this type of connection for any copyrighted data made after another specific date. Maybe there'd be features that could only be accessed if you used approved devices. Obviously, this sort of thing could be spoofed, but it increases the likelyhood of people actually bothering to purchase stuff immediately, rather than "try before you buy."

Anyone see any problems with this idea, from either a torrenters or a rights-holder's point of view?

Oh, and if you want to switch stuff out, you take it to a special machine that acts like an automated Pez dispenser and allows you to switch stuff to new boxes. And you could also have a more organized form where things would exist in a 3d grid. It's just this idea I had.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 01:10   #2
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3·1,993 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ection_schemes
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 01:18   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 2016-11-20, 01:22   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

11000100100112 Posts

The title say patent, but the text talks about copyright. They are not the same thing.

As far the particular DRM you discuss: It will be broken, like all other schemes so far invented and deployed. The laws of physics are working against you here. The unencoded contents must at some point become available (viewable, hear-able, feel-able, and whatever senses are being entertained) else the system cannot work, and thus it can also copied.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-21, 02:52   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
The title say patent, but the text talks about copyright. They are not the same thing.

As far the particular DRM you discuss: It will be broken, like all other schemes so far invented and deployed. The laws of physics are working against you here. The unencoded contents must at some point become available (viewable, hear-able, feel-able, and whatever senses are being entertained) else the system cannot work, and thus it can also copied.
lol, copyright infringement doesn't hurt me, I was just exercising my brain. Honestly I hate the idea of restricting information intended to be public.

I'm a big golden rule type of guy. If everybody followed the golden rule 100% of the time, we wouldn't need things like copyright, there'd just be a way to send money and people would or wouldn't.

I, personally, would probably be paying more money because I wouldn't have a mental picture in my head of rich people putting people in jail for refusing to make them more rich.

(and, yeah, the word patent is wrong. Must've had a brain fart)

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2016-11-21 at 02:53
Old 2016-11-22, 09:17   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

33·233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
lol, copyright infringement doesn't hurt me, I was just exercising my brain. Honestly I hate the idea of restricting information intended to be public.
Then I don't understand why you are suggesting a DRM scheme?

But "restricting information intended to be public" has always been human nature, and still is. Do you really feel that so called "hate speech" should be freely distributed without restriction? CP? Heretic books? Can you truthfully say you really hate the idea of restricting those things?
Old 2016-11-22, 12:02   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

22×2,741 Posts

Quote:
CP?
What have you got against Crandall & Pomerance? Fine book, IMAO.
Quote:
Can you truthfully say you really hate the idea of restricting those things?
Yes, I can.

I know you weren't asking me but ...
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-22, 13:02   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

189316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
What have you got against Crandall & Pomerance?