mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5

Old 2006-08-20, 19:20   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default sieving speeds for Intels

I've started a new thread in the hopes of convincing people with Intels that it's worthwhile to sieve. I have a dual-core 2.8GHz Pentium-D and I can sieve at about 11.9 kp/s per core, which sounds slow, but I'm knocking down candidates at about 2m30s a candidate, which is significantly faster than even the slowest test.

I would implore people with Intels to consider sieving a small, 5G range, to help the project. I feel it would speed up the overall project, and make the primes per test ratio a lot denser. We'll also probably find the actual primes a lot faster if people would favor sieving over PRPing for a while.

Just my opinion.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 19:48   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3×1,327 Posts

Interesting. Would a 64-bit sieve with a 64-bit operating system on one core a 64-bit Pentium "D" out perform a sieve running on a 32-bit Athlon?

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2006-08-20 at 19:49
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 20:08   #3
Citrix

Jun 2003

3·232 Posts

May be some one could set up an exchange, where someone with an athlon would donate time sieving and inexchange you, with a p4, would PRP numbers for him. Credit for all PRP work goes to the athlon owner and factors belong to the P4 owner.

What do you think?
Citrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 20:21   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3×7×311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Interesting. Would a 64-bit sieve with a 64-bit operating system on one core a 64-bit Pentium "D" out perform a sieve running on a 32-bit Athlon?
I'm tempted to get one of the new Mac Pros (in addition to my G5, not to replace it) so I could find out. Unfortunately, I doubt I could convince my wife to spend the money on one.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 20:38   #5
axn

Jun 2003

2×5×17×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I'm tempted to get one of the new Mac Pros (in addition to my G5, not to replace it) so I could find out. Unfortunately, I doubt I could convince my wife to spend the money on one.
The apple site shows that Mac Pro uses Intel Xeon "Woodcrest". If so they are based on the Core 2 architecture rather than Net Burst.

Net Burst (P4) is pretty bad in sieving. Core 2 generally rocks -- being comparable to Athlon 64s clock-for-clock (maybe even better). Of course, they're even better at PRP than P4!!
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 21:34   #6
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

11001100000112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn1 View Post
The apple site shows that Mac Pro uses Intel Xeon "Woodcrest". If so they are based on the Core 2 architecture rather than Net Burst.

Net Burst (P4) is pretty bad in sieving. Core 2 generally rocks -- being comparable to Athlon 64s clock-for-clock (maybe even better). Of course, they're even better at PRP than P4!!
I'm more or less interested in the 64-bit capabilities of it. That it can be both great at sieving and PRPing is nice, but I can do PRP tests for other projects (PIES and GFN) on my G5. What I haven't seen yet is a 64-bit Intel ASM manual.
Old 2006-08-20, 21:51   #7
axn

Jun 2003

2×5×17×31 Posts

Quote:
I'm more or less interested in the 64-bit capabilities of it. That it can be both great at sieving and PRPing is nice, but I can do PRP tests for other projects (PIES and GFN) on my G5. What I haven't seen yet is a 64-bit Intel ASM manual.
Aah! My bad. Are you looking for instruction timings/latency etc., or just a reference? If it is the latter, AMD64 reference can be obtained from AMD's site.
Old 2006-08-21, 12:38   #8
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

198316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn1 View Post
Aah! My bad. Are you looking for instruction timings/latency etc., or just a reference? If it is the latter, AMD64 reference can be obtained from AMD's site.
Timings and latencies are nice, but the reference is more useful. The NASM manual is a start, but it doesn't have 64-bit instructions. Do Intel and AMD use the same 64-bit instructions?
Old 2006-08-21, 13:44   #9
axn

Jun 2003

2×5×17×31 Posts

Quote:
Timings and latencies are nice, but the reference is more useful. The NASM manual is a start, but it doesn't have 64-bit instructions. Do Intel and AMD use the same 64-bit instructions?
More or less. Here are a bunch of differences
Old 2006-08-23, 00:06   #10
geoff

Mar 2003
New Zealand

22058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I've started a new thread in the hopes of convincing people with Intels that it's worthwhile to sieve. I have a dual-core 2.8GHz Pentium-D and I can sieve at about 11.9 kp/s per core, which sounds slow, but I'm knocking down candidates at about 2m30s a candidate, which is significantly faster than even the slowest test.
So a 1GHz P3 is as fast as a 2.8GHz P4 :-(

Finding a single prime eliminates roughly 25,000 candidates at the moment. It would take your P4 something like a month to eliminate this many candidates by sieving. I can only guess, but I think if you spent a solid month PRP testing the smallest candidates you would be unlucky not to find a prime.

There are other ways to look at it.
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 23:05   #11
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
So a 1GHz P3 is as fast as a 2.8GHz P4 :-(

Finding a single prime eliminates roughly 25,000 candidates at the moment. It would take your P4 something like a month to eliminate this many candidates by sieving. I can only guess, but I think if you spent a solid month PRP testing the smallest candidates you would be unlucky not to find a prime.

There are other ways to look at it.
You may be right.

A while back, I used an odds figuring program to calculate the odds of a random number, of the form k*2^n-1, being prime, and came up with a simple formula which I felt Riesel Sievers could use to figure out where each computer would best help the project, statistically. Unfortunately, there isn't a base-5 version of the program, so I've been forced to guess at what would be best.

Btw, the program is called pr_prob, and it's on a yahoo group which has to do with prime numbers. Unfortunately, I forget the precise name of the group.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote