Old 2018-08-05, 20:43   #1
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

22·32·179 Posts
Default Different Career Discussion Thread

Hello all,

I have a PhD in computational maths and about fifteen years of software engineering experience in the government, commercial and scientific sectors. I read voraciously across multiple disciplines; I've found that I seem to work much more happily on projects with month-scale than multi-year-scale deadlines, and much better in small teams than alone or as part of a giant shambling inchoate project.

Which sounds as if contracting is probably for me. What I don't know is how on Earth you go about getting started in contracting. I suspect I'm in the right part of the world - half the giant computer companies have Cambridge offices; I guess that it's wisest initially to work for a contracting company rather than trying to hang out my shingle on my own from the start.

Am I making sense?

(But first I am travelling around the world, so I won't be looking for interviews before mid-October)
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 21:16   #2
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×1,663 Posts

Not sure if this will help you but the following website has a list of recruitment companies which sometimes have some interesting documentation about careers. Please take a look.

https://www.safer-jobs.com/articles.cfm?id=7
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 22:52   #3
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

3·52·29 Posts

FYI In my neck of the woods, having a PhD is licence for printing money. The way it works is that government grants to research companies are only awarded if they have a PhD on the payroll and on the research project. It is very much bureaucratic nonsense. But that's just the way the system works. You might consider eliminating the middleman and apply for the grants yourself.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2018-08-05 at 22:55
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-06, 08:37   #4
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

6E116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
I guess that it's wisest initially to work for a contracting company rather than trying to hang out my shingle on my own from the start.
If you're likely to move on to starting your own business, be careful not to sign any contract with a non-compete clause that you later regret!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-06, 11:13   #5
Camacho

Jul 2018

18 Posts

You're making a lot of sense, Fivemack. Just do a lot more research about it than just a couple of forum posts here and there and you'll be fine. Enjoy the traveling bro!
Camacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-06, 21:55   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11×17×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
Which sounds as if contracting is probably for me. What I don't know is how on Earth you go about getting started in contracting. I suspect I'm in the right part of the world - half the giant computer companies have Cambridge offices; I guess that it's wisest initially to work for a contracting company rather than trying to hang out my shingle on my own from the start.
I got into contracting by being head-hunted by a long-time acquaintance active in SIGINT and crypto communities,

That was roughly the time my LinkedIn account was set up. I still get random job offers from LinkedIn every week and direct personal contacts every 4-8 weeks on average. YMMV.

You are making sense and I've already suggested privately that consulting is probably your best way forward.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 10:20   #7
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×1,663 Posts

For a foreign like me is it very hard to be a consultant (energy)? What are the legal obligations/arrangements towards U.K. laws?
Tomorrow I’ll have an interview with one of the biggest energy solutions company providers here in the U.K. where the main office is located in London and the second one in Cambridge where on the latter the chosen one will have to work there at least once per week. The interview call was held last week.

PS( I’m also always being head hunted for roles which I need to commute more than an hour or move to a new place, sometimes I get the feeling that these energy consultant head hunters don’t care about the environment, greenhouse effects, they are stupid, they don’t understand the environmental implications of driving 1-2 hours, risks, insurance, every thing goes up, etc etc)

PS2( Also I’m tired when they ask me a bunch of questions or to fill some tables where all the info is on my CV. Maybe I’ll apply to be a recruitment consultant or work on the rent house, I’ll have no worries and win a lot of money, not sure if I’ll be happy though)

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2018-08-07 at 10:28
Old 2018-08-07, 10:23   #8
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

3·587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Tomorrow I’ll have an interview with one of the biggest energy solutions company providers here in the U.K.
Good luck!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 13:57   #9
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

22×32×179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
For a foreign like me is it very hard to be a consultant (energy)? What are the legal obligations/arrangements towards U.K. laws?
Tomorrow I’ll have an interview with one of the biggest energy solutions company providers here in the U.K. where the main office is located in London and the second one in Cambridge where on the latter the chosen one will have to work there at least once per week. The interview call was held last week.
Good luck!
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 19:26   #10
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

B6B16 Posts

One tip: don't bid yourself too low. Take your salary and at least double it to account for vacations, sick pay, equipment, time to find the next gig, etc.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-08, 21:13   #11
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

115758 Posts

Thank you all. I had a fantastic interview and since I left it that I've been working out a proposal for my salary package since the role is to work in London on a daily basis with a visit once per week to the Cambridge office. May see more often Paul and Tom and get to know David. As a matter of fact I own you guys a party here. Let me sort my life again and lets hope the heatwave stays up to October to make some barbecue.

Since I've been doing energy surveys and energy audits that I've been very busy traveling throughout UK and worldwide and I think it's time to settle down, stop rushing my life, stop being stuck on M1, M4, M6, M40, M25, M f***. I'll be dealing with the background calculations of the Measurement and Verification projects for the energy savings.

Finally this is an advice for all, don't accept a role in a familiar company, you will have a lots of roadblocks, better a international company.

Tom, I will help you in any kind and give you any reference.

To Silverman, thank you for offering to be my reference.

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2018-08-08 at 21:24