mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2014-12-24, 17:14   #23
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·72·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
My vote it TF to "optimal ranges" in both and use the "escape hatch" when necessary.
That way many/most/all (if we're lucky) will get optimal TF.
OK, I've updated the Estimated Completion report as per VictordeHolland suggestion.

EC jumps from ~200 to ~400 days.

I'll update the LLTF section of the report later today, going to 75 (it's going to be a BIG delta!).

Quote:
BTW I have a premonition there will be a few more GPUs under the Christmas Tree this year.
Ssssshhh!!!! Don't jinx it!
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-24, 17:20   #24
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2·4,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
in fact we should be going to 75 for many of the LL ranges.

What do people think? Should we aim to go "all the way" in both the DC and LL ranges, and see how we fair? We could always release at "only" 74 if there was a crunch.
Primenet takes this into account and goes to 75 or higher if that is the most "profitable" assignment available. Hope you get better so that we can work together in converting to a new system.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-24, 18:03   #25
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

255028 Posts

Quote:
I'll update the LLTF section of the report later today, going to 75 (it's going to be a BIG delta!).
OK, this section of the report has been updated. If we try to go to 75 starting at 60M, the estimated completion for LLTF'ing to 80M jumps from 603 days to 1,965! (Eeeep!)

This means that we (just) couldn't keep up with Primenet's LL'ing, which will probably only take ~1,466 days. However, the 1,965 day estimate is based on LLTF's 30 day rolling average, which has be rather seriously redirected to DCTF'ing; some firepower could certainly be brought back to LLTF'ing if needed.

Thoughts?
Old 2014-12-24, 18:04   #26
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×72×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Hope you get better so that we can work together in converting to a new system.
Getting there. Under new drugs; my doctor says this is one of the worst cases she's ever seen.

Have PM'ed you and Madpoo to start the discussion on implementation.
Old 2014-12-24, 18:15   #27
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

308910 Posts

Quote:
PS: Does anyone have personal experience to tell me if a 500W PS is enough for a i5-2500 and a GTX-970 GPU? Neither OC'd. Nothing but GIMPS on it.
That will work perfectly fine as long as the power supply has the power connectors for the GTX-970.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-24, 19:11   #28
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3,089 Posts

Quote:
This actually brings up a thought... It would take a while to implement (it's not hard, but not trivial either), but I could add another pulldown menu in the "Get Assignments" form which let's the requester inform GPU72 what class of GPU they have. E.g.: "GeForce GTX 580", etc al.

Thoughts, comments, alternatives?
I would classify the cards by "compute version" and the AMD equivalent. There's a plethora of models. For instance, would my GT 430's be listed? Probably not. But the two of them are giving me a combined 100 GHz-d/d. It might confuse new people. At the least there should be a "Don't know/don't care" option selected by default.
Old 2014-12-24, 19:37   #29
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·72·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
I would classify the cards by "compute version" and the AMD equivalent.
Yeah, that was my thinking. Class rather than model in the calculation for the cross-over points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
At the least there should be a "Don't know/don't care" option selected by default.
Yeah. If the (default) "Don't know/don't care" option is selected the WMS and LGPU72D options will assign work on the "worst case senario" where it is still profitable.
Old 2014-12-24, 20:40   #30
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

1100000100012 Posts

Quote:
OK, I've updated the Estimated Completion report as per VictordeHolland suggestion.

EC jumps from ~200 to ~400 days.
I've noticed that estimated_completion and estimated_completion/primenet have differing end goals for 40+M. Also, some of the cell backgrounds have the wrong colour. It's not critical, but I might as well point it out before someone else does ;)
Old 2014-12-24, 20:47   #31
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

3,089 Posts

Quote:
Getting there. Under new drugs; my doctor says this is one of the worst cases she's ever seen.
Hopefully they work! I'm sorry to hear it's taking a while to get well.
Old 2014-12-24, 21:03   #32
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

Quote:
PS: Does anyone have personal experience to tell me if a 500W PS is enough for a i5-2500 and a GTX-970 GPU? Neither OC'd. Nothing but GIMPS on it.
Oh heavens yes. Modern hardware is so energy efficient at stock clocks. Depending on your ambition, you could underclock and undervolt if possible.

I also think we could consider pushing the optimal levels. Releasing at 74 won't be the end of the world either. Same for 71/72/73 down in the DCTF range, which has way more firepower than it needs considering the "rush" to finish it all.

Hopefully you get better soon, Chris.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-24, 22:17   #33
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

205528 Posts

We have too many video cards and have run out of slots to put them in.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...02G-P4-3753-KR

This particular card does not require the extra power hookups that most cards need. Although it is labeled as part of the 700 series it uses the same ultra-low-power architecture that the 970 and 980 uses.

If someone wants it we would part with it for $100 plus shipping.

It has the optional metal backplate which is a neat addition.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote