mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-09-06, 20:26   #694
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×5×739 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
Good news! Using the custom mprime build with hwloc 2.8.0, HWLOC_CPUKINDS_RANKING=coretype gave the correct architecture. HWLOC_CPUKINDS_MAXFREQ=adjust=0 still showed wrong results.
Please forgive me for this, but there is something to be said for experimentation. Useful to have multiple ways of measuring things. And, never implicitly trust your instruments.

I call it "Making friends with the Kit". 8^)

Two claim they are Jesus; one of them must be wrong. (Clearly Knopfler was not deep into cats...)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-06, 22:38   #695
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2B4D16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
(Clearly Knopfler was not deep into cats...)
A better recording.

Knopfler blows my mind. But then, that's not a difficult thing to do.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-07, 00:03   #696
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

32×907 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
Good news! Using the custom mprime build with hwloc 2.8.0, HWLOC_CPUKINDS_RANKING=coretype gave the correct architecture. HWLOC_CPUKINDS_MAXFREQ=adjust=0 still showed wrong results.
Is there C code to set the environment variable such that hwloc uses HWLOC_CPUKINDS_RANKING=coretype?
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-07, 07:37   #697
kruoli
 
kruoli's Avatar
 
"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

24578 Posts
Default

Have you had a look at this? I would assume this has to be called before HWLOC get initialised.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 12:59   #698
congsz
 
congsz's Avatar
 
"Cong Shengzhuo"
Sep 2021
Nanjing, China

32·5 Posts
Default Can p95v30.8b15 do P-1 stage 1 only

One question: Is there any method that can let me to do P-1 stage 1 only, using v30.8b15? I want to perform stage 1 and stage 2 with the same exponent on different machines, so I wish there could be a "Stage 1 only" setup.

Last fiddled with by congsz on 2022-09-09 at 13:04
congsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 15:08   #699
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

409510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by congsz View Post
One question: Is there any method that can let me to do P-1 stage 1 only
You can manually specify bounds with Pminus1 worktodo lines instead of Pfactor:
Pminus1=1,2,<EXPONENT>,-1,<B1>,<B2>,<TF>

Or a lazy way would be in local.txt to set the Memory setting to low for most of the time and high for one minute, I haven't tried this but if you set the one-minute memory to the high amount of your Stage-2 machine then the bounds should be selected for the high-memory amount, but your stage-1 machine should (almost) never get to run it:
Memory=40960 during 0:00-0:01 else 128 (40GB for stage 2, but limit this stage1 machine to 128GB most of the day so it almost-never gets to run stage2).

Probably even better would be to set high memory limits on the stage1 machine (so the bounds get selected correctly) but then put LowMemWhileRunning=explorer in prime.txt so that the machine is always forced into low-memory mode (since explorer.exe is always running on Windows machines).
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 20:24   #700
lycorn
 
lycorn's Avatar
 
"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

1,571 Posts
Default

I /think/ that using the Pminus1= syntax and choosing B1 = B2 will do.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 20:56   #701
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

32·5·7·13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
I /think/ that using the Pminus1= syntax and choosing B1 = B2 will do.
It will, but that assumes you know what B1 should be. PFactor conveniently auto-selects appropriate bounds for the exponent and available RAM. You can use that to see what bounds are auto-selected for a representative exponent and then use the same B1 bounds for similar exponents on the stage-1 machine. The stage2 machine can continue to use PFactor to auto-select bounds.
Naturally you'll need to copy the savefiles over from the stage1 machine to the stage2 machine before attempting stage2.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-10, 00:12   #702
congsz
 
congsz's Avatar
 
"Cong Shengzhuo"
Sep 2021
Nanjing, China

32·5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
You can manually specify bounds with Pminus1 worktodo lines instead of Pfactor:
Pminus1=1,2,<EXPONENT>,-1,<B1>,<B2>,<TF>
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
I /think/ that using the Pminus1= syntax and choosing B1 = B2 will do.
This does not work. If I entered Pminus1 worktodo type with B1=B2, it would still say that B2=TBD at the beginning of Stage 1, instead of B2=B1.
I have been using Pminus1 with manually specified B1 and no Pfactor for 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Naturally you'll need to copy the savefiles over from the stage1 machine to the stage2 machine before attempting stage2.
Yes, this is exactly what I will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Or a lazy way would be in local.txt to set the Memory setting to low for most of the time and high for one minute, I haven't tried this but if you set the one-minute memory to the high amount of your Stage-2 machine then the bounds should be selected for the high-memory amount, but your stage-1 machine should (almost) never get to run it:
Memory=40960 during 0:00-0:01 else 128 (40GB for stage 2, but limit this stage1 machine to 128GB most of the day so it almost-never gets to run stage2).

Probably even better would be to set high memory limits on the stage1 machine (so the bounds get selected correctly) but then put LowMemWhileRunning=explorer in prime.txt so that the machine is always forced into low-memory mode (since explorer.exe is always running on Windows machines).
Thanks for advice, I will try it.
congsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-10, 02:04   #703
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

2×2,719 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by congsz View Post
This does not work. If I entered Pminus1 worktodo type with B1=B2, it would still say that B2=TBD at the beginning of Stage 1, instead of B2=B1.
I have been using Pminus1 with manually specified B1 and no Pfactor for 2 months.
Get rid of the TF parameter.
For example Pminus1=1,2,947917,-1,50000000,50000000 is a current entry in my workodo and it does only the stage 1
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-10, 02:47   #704
congsz
 
congsz's Avatar
 
"Cong Shengzhuo"
Sep 2021
Nanjing, China

32×5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Get rid of the TF parameter.
For example Pminus1=1,2,947917,-1,50000000,50000000 is a current entry in my workodo and it does only the stage 1
Done successfully. Thanks!
congsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do not post your results here! kar_bon Prime Wiki 40 2022-04-03 19:05
what should I post ? science_man_88 science_man_88 24 2018-10-19 23:00
Where to post job ad? xilman Linux 2 2010-12-15 16:39
Moderated Post kar_bon Forum Feedback 3 2010-09-28 08:01
Something that I just had to post/buy dave_0273 Lounge 1 2005-02-27 18:36

All times are UTC. The time now is 16:18.


Sat Feb 4 16:18:27 UTC 2023 up 170 days, 13:47, 1 user, load averages: 0.58, 0.84, 0.81

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔