mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Proth Prime Search

Old 2020-01-06, 13:36   #1
David703

Oct 2019

17 Posts
Default Question about sieving

Hi, I'm currently using newpgen to sieve a range for proth primes but I suspect the software that primegrid uses (sr2ppsieve, in my case I would use the CUDA version) would be much faster than that. Am I right? If yes, were can I download that program?
David703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 14:02   #2
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

15DF16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David703 View Post
Hi, I'm currently using newpgen to sieve a range for proth primes but I suspect the software that primegrid uses (sr2ppsieve, in my case I would use the CUDA version) would be much faster than that. Am I right? If yes, were can I download that program?
What range are you sieving? Are you sieving fixed k or fixed n? Just want to see if you are using the optimal software for sieving as newpgen is much slower than many other sieveing programs, depending upon what you are sieving.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 14:18   #3
David703

Oct 2019

17 Posts

Hi! I was thinking to get into prime testing outside big projects (GIMPS and PrimeGrid), so I was just experimenting a little bit with random values.

I thought that the only possible sieving was with fixed n so I was doing n=4156789 and Ks between 75000 and 95000 (as I stated, completely random). What ranges should I sieve with which program? I'm completely new to this and had no idea that the optimal program to use for sieving depended on the range.
David703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 21:20   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

11·509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David703 View Post
Hi! I was thinking to get into prime testing outside big projects (GIMPS and PrimeGrid), so I was just experimenting a little bit with random values.

I thought that the only possible sieving was with fixed n so I was doing n=4156789 and Ks between 75000 and 95000 (as I stated, completely random). What ranges should I sieve with which program? I'm completely new to this and had no idea that the optimal program to use for sieving depended on the range.
My recommendation is to get your feet wet with a smaller project, i.e. one with fewer participants. You will have less software to choose from and can communicate directly with the person maintaining that project. The project maintainer might also give you some ideas for small range to test until you are comfortable with the software.

The simplest ones that quickly come to mind are the Generalied Cullen and Generalized Woodall searches. I call these "simplest" because the form of the prime is easy to identify and have no special symbols. The search spaces are also fairly small compared to other projects so one quickly gets into the Top 5000 prime territory.

Next up would be Carol/Kynea or Multifactorial. These forms are a little harder to understand as they have symbols beyond the +, -, ^, and * operators.

From there you find projects with more participants which means you are more at risk for poaching or searching ranges that have already been searched. This would include the Proth Prime Search, the Riesel Prime Search, and CRUS. The Riesel and Sierpinski forms have a lot of searchers and multiple projects, depending upon their focus. The search space is much larger than most other projects.

For most of the smaller projects you are likely to use a program built upon the mtsieve framework. For full disclosure I wrote mtsieve and have assisted more prime searching projects here or at PrimeGrid than most others. I have not participated on GIMPS and my participation of PrimeGrid projects occurred before PrimeGrid grew to its current size.

Once you have spent some time on smaller projects and have hopefully made some contributions, you should have more confidence to contribute to the larger projects without anyone denigrating any of your work.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2020-01-06 at 21:20
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote