mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-07-12, 18:13   #34
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

204778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
As with Stalin, Hitler, Kim Il Sung, Mao tse-Tung, et al, the cult figure s unworthy of the idolatry.
Are you implying that there are cult leaders worthy of being idolized?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-12, 18:28   #35
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

11,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post

Rameses II perhaps?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-12, 22:46   #36
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

2,333 Posts

Quote:

Not idolized, just never forgotten.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-12, 22:49   #37
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

22108 Posts

Quote:
Why should a cult leader be deemed evil by default? Of course excluding a lot of already metioned persons here.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-12, 22:53   #38
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

23·5·29 Posts

For a lot of native American cults, I would assert that their leadership was much more fitting than the extinction of them caused by the Europeans.
Old 2022-07-14, 20:28   #39
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

851110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
For a lot of native American cults, I would assert that their leadership was much more fitting than the extinction of them caused by the Europeans.
We call those tribes. Were they cults?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-15, 00:22   #40
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

100100010002 Posts

Certainly I must apologize if I understand you correctly. I now assert I misused the term.

Last fiddled with by kruoli on 2022-07-15 at 00:22 Reason: Missing word.
Old 2022-07-15, 00:49   #41
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhรคuser Gate

17×47 Posts

Quote:
We call those tribes. Were they cults?

Actually, the noun they prefer is "nation". Example: the Navajo Nation or the Sioux nation, etc.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-09, 14:30   #42
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×7×107 Posts

Quote:

No. I was merely observing that all the political despots with personality cults in recent history I could think of offhand were not worthy of the idolatry they demanded.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-09, 14:34   #43
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

176816 Posts

It seems that on Monday, August 8, 2022 the FBI executed a search warrant at Mar-a-Lago, and seized boxes of documents.

The property owner's son indicated it had to do with the National Archives.

By way of review, some time ago it was discovered that 15 boxes of documents which should have been left in the White House by the last occupant, had somehow found their way to Mar-a-Lago. Some of the documents were classified Top Secret, some for "special handling." The National Archives asked that the documents be returned. News accounts indicated that at least some of the material had been handed back. Also that a number of documents had been ripped up.

In February 2022 the National Archives also referred the matter to the Department of Justice for investigation.

Now, the FBI has seized boxes of documents from Mar-a-Lago, apparently in connection with the National Archives' request.

It seems there is a policy or rule against doing searches of high-profile political figures within 90 days of the next election, and this was just outside that limit. (I know, this person is not running in the mid-terms, but has been actively involved in the campaign.)

My guess is that during the last 6 months it was found that there were documents that should have been returned which had not been, the person in possession was playing games about giving them back, and the DOJ lost patience and determined that he was acting in bad faith.

Of course, cult followers are parroting the line that this was somehow politically motivated persecution, the DOJ needs to be investigated, and blah, blah, blah.

You can bet the farm that the FBI dotted every "i," crossed every "t," and ran the application for this warrant by the higher-ups in the DOJ, including the Attorney General (who has been very cautious in matters pertaining to the last occupant of the White House), before taking it to a judge. And that the judge scrutinized it carefully before approving it.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-09, 14:46   #44
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

1074410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Also that a number of documents had been ripped up.
And it turns out the fiber content of said documents was not good for the regularity of the WH commodes.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote