mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Old 2021-10-13, 14:13   #1
tha

Dec 2002

829 Posts
Default Random text bits get added to forum posts during editing

L.S.,

(i am using an up to date version of the Firefox browser under Ubuntu, don't know if that is relevant, but sometimes current snippets of text held in the copy-paste buffer make it into Terminal and/or other applications while they haven't been touched.)

I copied a piece of text from the Terminal application in which mprime is running. (./mprime -m) and add that to a new forum post. Works well. As I then edit the text, for example deleting pieces of text or adding items like " ... " than random pieces of text get added spontaneously. These pieces of text are always snippets of the complete text added in the first ^c ^v copy paste.

This makes it impossible to create a reliable text. I now copy to the text editor first and make my edits over there and than copy verbatim to the forum.

Could it be that the forum code has a wrong pointer somewhere? Can anyone reproduce this?

You could try copying the text from https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...5&postcount=61 and carefully looking how it is handled when making edits to it using the preview button each time.

Last fiddled with by tha on 2021-10-13 at 14:24
tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 14:34   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

75468 Posts

I use hightlight then ctrl+shift+c to copy from a terminal. Finally pasting with ctrl+v. To paste into a terminal use ctrl+shift+v. HTH
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 14:36   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

11·17·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha View Post
L.S.,

(i am using an up to date version of the Firefox browser under Ubuntu, don't know if that is relevant, but sometimes current snippets of text held in the copy-paste buffer make it into Terminal and/or other applications while they haven't been touched.)

I copied a piece of text from the Terminal application in which mprime is running. (./mprime -m) and add that to a new forum post. Works well. As I then edit the text, for example deleting pieces of text or adding items like " ... " than random pieces of text get added spontaneously. These pieces of text are always snippets of the complete text added in the first ^c ^v copy paste.

This makes it impossible to create a reliable text. I now copy to the text editor first and make my edits over there and than copy verbatim to the forum.

Could it be that the forum code has a wrong pointer somewhere? Can anyone reproduce this?

You could try copying the text from https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...5&postcount=61 and carefully looking how it is handled when making edits to it using the preview button each time.
Curious!

I've been using Ubuntu for many years, and Firefux for the last two, and have never come across this one. Might it be a window manager or desktop environment misfeature? XFCE here.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 16:29   #4
axn

Jun 2003

7·743 Posts

Might be a broken keyboard. Might be that something like Ctrl is getting stuck and causing simple typing of a V to be registered as a paste

Can you try using a different keyboard?
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 16:39   #5
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

134508 Posts

Have not seen that random-fragment-paste. I get seemingly random relocation of the text cursor. Turns out that it takes a curiously long time to retrain, from keeping thumbs hovering over the space bar as taught in typing class 50+ years ago mostly on manual typewriters, to keeping thumbs well away from the touch pad, which responds within ~1 vertical cm, relocating the text cursor to wherever the mouse cursor gets moved to by a false touch read. Those manual typewriters or the rare IBM selectric had nothing resembling a touch pad or mouse.

Something you might want to check, is whether you have hot keys or key macros defined, or an overeager touch pad or touch screen. On one laptop I have (Dell Inspiron 15 5567), it was necessary to disable the touch screen, because as it aged, it began detecting its own bezel as a touch at increasing rates, to the point of unusability by the keyboard or touch screen or mouse. On a different system, I have a keyboard ~2.5 years old that for certain keys gives usually no result, but sometimes 2-5 (same, correct) characters per press. Extended warranty claim in the near future for that one.
AXN's keyboard question is good. Manually testing a keyboard is straightforward in a text editor. From top left, row by row, without and then with shift, do you get the proper pattern in a visual display of entered text? Reliably? Press & release Ctrl. Repeat.

Firefox past a certain version on Windows at least inserts extra lines per carriage return.

Good luck sorting it out. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-10-13 at 16:46
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 16:44   #6
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

11000000002 Posts

Remember that simply selecting text and then pressing the middle mouse button will copy text in a lot of cases, so without keyboard interaction or context menus etc.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 18:27   #7
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23×3×13×19 Posts

If a sticky-keyboard-key issue, a utility to show the state of Alt, shift, Ctrl, etc could help diagnose quickly.
For Windows there are several at least to choose from.
Or software to make them sticky.
Further searching yielded this for Ubuntu.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-14, 12:27   #8
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

2×37×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Firefox past a certain version on Windows at least inserts extra lines per carriage return.
We have been trying to solve this bug for a long time.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-15, 20:30   #9
tha

Dec 2002

829 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I will dive deeper into it.
tha is offline   Reply With Quote