mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-08-23, 15:23   #1398
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

37×139 Posts

Some folks who have been "vaccine hesitant" have used "It's experimental! I don't want to be a guinea pig!" as their reason excuse. I'm sure that excuses for disregarding the full approval of the Pfizer vaccine are already out there, and were probably invented beforehand.

I am bemused by the fact that some of these same people happily rely on unproven "COVID remedies" like colloidal silver, vitamin and mineral supplements, hydroxychloroquine, and ivermectin.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-23, 22:53   #1399
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×1,483 Posts

AMA &/or big-pharma conspiracy theorists abound.
I know someone who's a big fan of "natural remedies" and chiropractors. College educated.
One would do well to remember that among the "all-natural" things one could ingest or be subjected to are deadly nightshade, hemlock, ergot & other black mold, death-cap mushrooms, and various venoms. Even water can kill in a variety of ways.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-08-23 at 23:35
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-23, 23:01   #1400
tuckerkao

"Tucker Kao"
Jan 2020
Head Base M168202123

2×283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Some folks who have been "vaccine hesitant" have used "It's experimental! I don't want to be a guinea pig!" as their reason excuse. I'm sure that excuses for disregarding the full approval of the Pfizer vaccine are already out there, and were probably invented beforehand.
I believe if Nancy Pelosi cooks a table of the dinner dishes to serve them, those people will doubt about the health integrity and the side effects of the recipes and perhaps even think they are poisonous.

American politics are becoming BaseD and BaseR:

EconomyD
Health CareD
ImmigrationD

EconomyR
Health CareR
ImmigrationR

The worst reality is that what's legal in one maybe illegal in another. Both sides believe they are correct and spontaneously feel the other party is wrong.

Last fiddled with by tuckerkao on 2021-08-23 at 23:08
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-23, 23:10   #1401
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22·7·359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
The worst reality is that what's legal in one maybe illegal in another.
SNR approaching 0.

No problem. We're used to this. This is the new "now".
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-24, 07:21   #1402
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

231208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
One would do well to remember that among the "all-natural" things one could ingest or be subjected to are deadly nightshade, hemlock, ergot & other black mold, death-cap mushrooms, and various venoms. Even water can kill in a variety of ways.
True.
"The difference between medicine and poison is only the quantity." (this is a famous quote, but I don't remember whose).
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, hihi...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-24, 08:08   #1403
axn

Jun 2003

112·43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
True.
"The difference between medicine and poison is only the quantity." (this is a famous quote, but I don't remember whose).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison ?
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-24, 12:15   #1404
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

37×139 Posts

How long until the Moderna COVID vaccine gets full approval? I don't know, but Moderna put in its application about a month after Pfizer did, so my best guess would be about a month.

The delta variant has inspired the phrase "Younger, sicker, quicker."

One of the things I've heard COVID denialists say is, "Well, nobody I know has died of it."

From the "tales of yesteryear" department:

The fiasco of the 1976 'swine flu affair'
Quote:
<snip>
It began at a US Army training base in New Jersey. In February 1976, several soldiers at Fort Dix fell ill with a previously unrecognised swine flu. None had been in contact with pigs, so human transmission was assumed. Testing revealed that the virus had spread to more than 200 recruits.

The pandemics of 1957 and 1968 were still fresh in the memory, and fears soon escalated of another 1918-like influenza pandemic, which had killed tens of millions. Further investigation found that people under 50 years old had no antibodies to this new strain.

Urgent decisions were needed. Public health officials realised it might be possible to get a vaccine to the public by the end of the year if they acted fast. The pharmaceutical industry had just finished manufacturing vaccines for the normal flu seasons. They also had an animal advantage: roosters. Back then, influenza vaccine was produced in fertilised hen's eggs. That season's roosters were due for slaughter, so a slow decision would add a delay of several months to vaccine manufacture.

In March, President Ford announced a $137m (£67.5m in 1976) effort to produce a vaccine by the autumn. "Its goal was to immunise every man, woman and child in the US, and thus was the largest and most ambitious immunisation program ever undertaken in the United States," wrote [1976 Deputy NYC Health Commissioner] Imperato in a 2015 paper reflecting on the events.

With hindsight, it's easy to see that the fears of the time were unfounded. The swine flu strain spotted at Fort Dix was not dangerous, and there would be no pandemic. Later, researchers discovered that benign swine flu strains had been circulating in the US population long before this one was identified at the military base. And scientists who feared another Spanish flu did not know that the 1918 influenza was avian, not swine. Researchers at the time also suffered from a form of recency bias: based on experience from the 1950s and 60s, they assumed major influenza pandemics happened on an 11-year cycle, when they are actually more irregular.
<snip>
Old 2021-08-24, 12:51   #1405
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

23×5×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
True.
Just ask anyone who has experienced chemotherapy for cancer. Reading how these drugs work, they usually try to interrupt some cellular basic process such as metabolism. This sometimes works since cancer cells have a higher metabolism than healthy cells; hence their rapid growth rate. There are many other pathways that are targets. However, these drugs will also work on healthy cells, killing or damaging them. that's why so many people go bald during this therapy. The dosages must be exact.
Interestingly, an old drug whose name was synonymous with horror is experiencing a comeback for cancer treatment since it inhibits cancer cell growth. That drug is Thalidomide.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-24, 12:53   #1406
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

120278 Posts

I'd volunteer for a booster shot NOW just to keep vaccines from going to waste.

Alabama Just Tossed 65,000 Vaccines. Turns Out It's Not Easy To Donate Unused Doses
Quote:
<snip>
State health officials warn the current demand for the vaccine may not be enough to get much of the supply into arms before they reach their expiration dates.
<snip>
How many shots are ultimately at risk of going to waste? The answer is hard to come by given how decentralized the systems are. Jenny Ottenhoff, senior policy director for global health and education at the ONE Campaign, says her best guess is that the total number of expired vaccines combined with those about to spoil in the coming weeks and months, is in the millions in the United States.
<snip>
Old 2021-08-24, 20:10   #1407
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

13×37 Posts

Health advice from New Zealand...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inisters-gaffe
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-25, 12:03   #1408
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

37·139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till View Post
I've always heard it was "as long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses!"