henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2×2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I have a small issue with the 32-bit version of the 30.3b6, is that still supported?

I have an old machine which still runs winxp32 (albeit the cpu is a 64bit i5-3470, but I can not change the OS) and till now it was doing ECM using an older version of P95. As I wanted to switch to PRPCF and PRPCFDC, I downloaded and installed the new one over the old one. Now, I am getting "access denied" every time I try to start it, and then it crashes (the program, not the computer). It was/is in own folder (not "program files"), it had/has all the rights, and it doesn't seem that it tries to access anything (files, libraries, etc, as well as I can monitor). It just crashing with the "access denied" error without opening any window.

Libraries issues? Any other known issue? If yes, is it fixed in 30.4?
A compiler upgrade means that XP is no longer supported.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-04, 12:38   #497
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
A compiler upgrade means that XP is no longer supported.
However, the Win32 version is offered for download on the main site (which I did download). What is it for? (I still assume that I have a library issue, which I don't know how to solve, any "debug" or "verbose" options?)
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-04, 13:02   #498
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×23×137 Posts

Quote:
However, the Win32 version is offered for download on the main site (which I did download). What is it for? (I still assume that I have a library issue, which I don't know how to solve, any "debug" or "verbose" options?)
Win7 also has 32-bit mode.

As for the removal of support, you will likely find that the start-up code in the exe file uses an API that XP doesn't have, so you will have no chance to fix it without modifying your OS, or neutering the errant API calls.

Note that MS deliberately uses newer API calls in VS so that programs will fail on older OSes. There are compiler settings and/or options to disable that, but MS make them difficult to find, so very few people ever discover how to do it.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-05, 08:56   #499
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

23×97 Posts

Quote:
I have an old machine which still runs winxp32 (albeit the cpu is a 64bit i5-3470, but I can not change the OS) [,,,]
Is Linux (either a VM or a dual-boot) an option? I'll admit I'm unsure if you can run a 64-bit guest OS in a 32-bit host.
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-05, 09:46   #500
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
Is Linux (either a VM or a dual-boot) an option? I'll admit I'm unsure if you can run a 64-bit guest OS in a 32-bit host.
This machine has a dual boot and it is sometimes booted in Linux to build binaries (like compile device trees and stuff which are arm-linux related), but it runs windows 99% of the time for other things. And I suck at linux.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-06, 16:54   #501
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

242410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
I'll admit I'm unsure if you can run a 64-bit guest OS in a 32-bit host.
You can as long as you have a 64-bit processor: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...32-bit-machine
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 23:58   #502
ssybesma

"Steve Sybesma"
May 2012
Brighton, CO USA

89 Posts
Default how to stop PRP checks

Hello,

I was pointed to this thread for this issue.

I'm trying to discover out how to stop PRP checks using mprime.

I'm using the version of mprime that was the latest as of November last year.

I understand the proof file PRPs use is large. The disk space I have on these devices is at a premium but they run LL's just fine without ever crashing mprime like PRPs do.

Thanks,

Steve
ssybesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-18, 00:31   #503
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

DCA16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssybesma View Post
I'm trying to discover out how to stop PRP checks using mprime.
All new first-time checks will be run with PRP.
There is a large number of LL double-checks that need to be run on exponents in the 50M-100M range, this should solve your problem nicely.
In mprime -m (menu) choose (2) Test/Worker threads, however many workers you want to run, then select worktype 151 - Double-check prime tests and those should all be LL.

Last fiddled with by James Heinrich on 2021-01-18 at 00:31
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-18, 01:06   #504
ssybesma

"Steve Sybesma"
May 2012
Brighton, CO USA

89 Posts

Hello James Heinrich,

That suddenly just made 13 devices I have unable to run first time checks forever. Everything was going fine until I upgraded to a certain version.

So what version would I need to go back to in order for PRP checks to stop?

Thanks,

Steve

Last fiddled with by ssybesma on 2021-01-18 at 01:08
ssybesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-18, 01:25   #505
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

11×461 Posts

You should not downgrade- an LL test requires a double-check, while a PRP with a proof certificate does not. That's why all first-time checks are now PRP.

If you do manage to downgrade and run first-time LLs, your net contribution to the project drops to near zero, because the effort required to double-check your work is very nearly equal to doing the PRP-with-proof; in fact, since a non-matching double check would require a 3rd check, it's cheaper to ignore your LL result and PRP as a "double check".

If you can't find 150MB or so of disk for your PRP-proof data, please do the LL double checks rather than downgrading.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-18, 01:27   #506
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

29·349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssybesma View Post
So what version would I need to go back to in order for PRP checks to stop?
The commands/menu choices will be the same for all recent (current version and the past 5 years or so) major versions. There is no need to revert the machines to a previous version.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote