Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies > Chess

Old 2014-08-10, 16:49   #1
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13×89 Posts
Default interesting site. or something.

being only the most mediocre player of chess I've never been in this corner of the forum before. But I saw this on the interwebs and I thought I would share it where it might find interested parties.

http://www.chesscademy.com/

seems to be based on the Code Academy model.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 20:02   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
being only the most mediocre player of chess I've never been in this corner of the forum before. But I saw this on the interwebs and I thought I would share it where it might find interested parties.

http://www.chesscademy.com/

seems to be based on the Code Academy model.
I'm only mediocre, if that, and I've played on a team here. The problem I have with this is that I hate memorizing something like a line of moves I'll only use to solve the problems given. and I find that's what it feels like. literally except the mating strategies it seems hard coded to only accept one line to the answer.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 20:22   #3
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I'm only mediocre, if that, and I've played on a team here. The problem I have with this is that I hate memorizing something like a line of moves I'll only use to solve the problems given. and I find that's what it feels like. literally except the mating strategies it seems hard coded to only accept one line to the answer.
I understand what you are saying. However the site is only a couple weeks old. And also, given the tradition of chess teaching books, which are completely static in their expected answers at the back of the book, this already seems like a better tool.

Also free.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 22:04   #4
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I understand what you are saying. However the site is only a couple weeks old. And also, given the tradition of chess teaching books, which are completely static in their expected answers at the back of the book, this already seems like a better tool.

Also free.
I'm a bit of a random player so until I watched the video of positional play again I didn't even think of the moves needed. edit: just did a random move on one of the challenges and got that I demonstrated a "high level" of positional understanding.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2014-08-10 at 22:06
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote