mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2004-03-30, 04:26   #1
crash893

Sep 2002

23×37 Posts
Default prime95 on mac?

i just got a "new" g4 mac for work

and since its going to be basicly a giant paperwight for the remainder of my days here ( except the 5 min a day i need it) it would seem perfect for prime95

so is there software for it?

if not are there plans?
crash893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 06:02   #2
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

3·11·17 Posts

From what it looks like, Prime95 is targeted at the mainstream computer. This is smart, because you can make very specialized code for a set of chips that will be in over 75% of the computers on the GIMPS project. For Example, Prime95 could run faster on AMD Athlon XP processors, but programming time would be better spend optimizing for P4s.

You can still participate in the GIMPS project with a different piece of software called Glucas. Download the version for your machine below. Glucas does the same stuff Prime95 does, but is coded in a more, "general" fashion.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=24518
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote