mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-04-06, 21:08   #529
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7×547 Posts
Default WI governor attempts to singlehandedly delay a statewide election on <20 hour notice

Drove by the local town hall after seeing this news elsewhere. The parking lot was nearly full with vehicles of people setting up for tomorrow's election, and building otherwise closed. https://www.channel3000.com/gov-evers-suspends-in-person-v…/ Trying to reschedule a statewide election less than 24 hours before the polls are to open and without the legal authority to do so unilaterally is some kind of crazy.
He's already been rebuffed by a Federal judge and the state legislature, so now the state supreme court will get the third strike. There are over 1000 townships in WI (~65500 square miles / ~36 square miles per township, excluding those that have been completely annexed into cities or villages; area per township varies at state boundaries; ~1264 listed at http://www.govtdomains.com/lists/loc..._townships.htm), each setting up for tomorrow's election today.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-04-06 at 21:10
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-06, 21:30   #530
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×72×67 Posts

I know I should not wish ill upon anyone, However, BoJo, like Trump, took a relaxed and dismissive approach to Coronavirus. It would be equally poetically just if our Prez met the consequences attendant on his obstruction of a rational response to the pandemic.
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-06, 23:26   #531
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7×547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
took a relaxed and dismissive approach to Coronavirus
That standard would substantially thin the ranks of political leaders and candidates worldwide.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 00:49   #532
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
BoJo now in intensive care unit.

When you come to Tommy's the holiday's forever!
It seems Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab is "designated survivor," which seems to mean he's acting PM, but I'm not sure of that. And what about making decisions when cabinet ministers and/or MP's can't agree? I doubt an "Acting" PM has quite the authority an elected one does.

So, what happens with governance in the UK while the PM is unable to perform official duties? Or suddenly becomes "was PM for life?"
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 02:01   #533
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×72×67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
That standard would substantially thin the ranks of political leaders and candidates worldwide.
That would not necessarily be a cause for lamentations!
kladner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 06:39   #534
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

5×1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
It seems Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab is "designated survivor," which seems to mean he's acting PM, but I'm not sure of that. And what about making decisions when cabinet ministers and/or MP's can't agree? I doubt an "Acting" PM has quite the authority an elected one does.

So, what happens with governance in the UK while the PM is unable to perform official duties? Or suddenly becomes "was PM for life?"
Temporary incapacity: pretty much the same as in the US. The designated stand-by takes over for a while. That happened when Reagan was shot, for instance.

Permanent incapacity is where it differs between the two countries. If one party has a working majority (true at present) that party picks another candidate for PM and gets the Queen to OK the decision. This process is essentially how BoJo became PM following the resignation of Theresa May.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 13:17   #535
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

5·1,999 Posts

Here is a nice video by a doctor at Queens Hospital on how to breathe properly. The technique could well reduce your chances of developing pneumonia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLzAdriec0
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 14:17   #536
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

107318 Posts

Have just received the letter from PM but considering he caught Covid not sure if I shall follow his recommendations.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 14:23   #537
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Here is a nice video by a doctor at Queens Hospital on how to breathe properly. The technique could well reduce your chances of developing pneumonia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLzAdriec0
Don’t think that would work at least for people with asthma, my wife can’t do it, she starts coughing after second breathe.
Old 2020-04-07, 14:36   #538
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Don’t think that would work at least for people with asthma, my wife can’t do it, she starts coughing after second breathe.
It depends on the person. I have asthma, and have no problem doing this.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 14:45   #539
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3·1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
It depends on the person. I have asthma, and have no problem doing this.
Glad you managed.