mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-09-23, 17:31   #122
kar_bon
 
kar_bon's Avatar
 
Mar 2006
Germany

24×52×7 Posts
Default

Yep, no special reason.

It's the smallest of the 64 k-values of the Riesel Problem without any prime found for n<3.3M so far.

This k-value (and two others) were done upto n=5M! For more details see here.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 18:28   #123
Flatlander
I quite division it
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

207710 Posts
Default

Ahh yes. The Riesel Problem. It's all coming back to me.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 20:24   #124
Flatlander
I quite division it
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31×67 Posts
Default GPU sieving

Now that GPU sieving has started, will some of the n<1m stuff be further sieved?
I'm guessing there is no hurry with the sieving k400-1000 n>1m, and there is still a ton of LLRing for n<1m that could benefit from a deeper sieve.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 20:43   #125
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Now that GPU sieving has started, will some of the n<1m stuff be further sieved?
I'm guessing there is no hurry with the sieving k400-1000 n>1m, and there is still a ton of LLRing for n<1m that could benefit from a deeper sieve.
Possibly. The n<1M stuff is already at CPU-optimal depth; while it could be useful to get it to GPU-optimal depth, the n>1M range is more of a priority since we've already used up much of the n<1M sieve file. In the case of k=400-600 (the 5th Drive), we'll be up to 1M probably within a few months.

One range that could possibly benefit from being extended to GPU-optimal depth is k=2000-3400 for n<1M. However, it's still up in the air whether we'll be doing much work on that past the end of the 11th Drive at n=650K (depending on how NPLB's combined firepower looks when we get to that point), so it may or may not be worthwhile.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 10:50   #126
Flatlander
I quite division it
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31×67 Posts
Default

Do you think one more week-long rally will be sufficient to get the 5th drive to 1m by year end? It's getting a bit tight to squeeze two in.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 12:14   #127
kar_bon
 
kar_bon's Avatar
 
Mar 2006
Germany

AF016 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Do you think one more week-long rally will be sufficient to get the 5th drive to 1m by year end? It's getting a bit tight to squeeze two in.
There're ~320,000 candidates left for n<1M on drive #5 and only 84 days left until end of year.

So ~3800 candidates per day to test but only ~500 tests/day currently done.

Assumption (~130,000 paris done in last rally):
One week rally with 100,000 pairs done -> 220,000 pairs left for 77 days -> ~2900 pairs/day left
Two week rally with 200,000 pairs done -> 120,000 pairs left for 70 days -> ~1700 pairs/day left

Both left much more pairs/day than done currently.

It's a hard way to reach this goal!

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2010-10-06 at 12:18
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 13:38   #128
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted
 
Mini-Geek's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts
Default

We could hold a different sort of rally: an extended-length, "finish drive 5 before 2011" drive. It would start as soon as it's set up, and only stop when drive 5 is finished or Jan 1, 2011 comes without finishing it. I wouldn't expect quite as much attention as a normal drive (e.g. not ~14286 per day, but ~3800? perhaps ), but it still might be successful. It would be a rally with a specific goal, instead of just a rally to get some crunching done quickly. Something like this rally. It's an idea.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2010-10-06 at 13:39
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 16:01   #129
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
We could hold a different sort of rally: an extended-length, "finish drive 5 before 2011" drive. It would start as soon as it's set up, and only stop when drive 5 is finished or Jan 1, 2011 comes without finishing it. I wouldn't expect quite as much attention as a normal drive (e.g. not ~14286 per day, but ~3800? perhaps ), but it still might be successful. It would be a rally with a specific goal, instead of just a rally to get some crunching done quickly. Something like this rally. It's an idea.
Indeed, interesting idea.

However, I think the first thing we need to do is get going with another "regular" weeklong rally. It's high time for that, what with 2 months or so having elapsed since the last one. Gary, what do you say we do one the week of October 22-29? That gives us the usual 2 weeks to advertise the rally. If you're available then, we should definitely do it.

Then, if the drive is not finished by December 1, I think we should launch right into a "finish the drive by year end or bust" rally as Mini-Geek suggests. Even if the deadline on the drive looks OK at that point, it would still be fun to have it come to a roaring finish in a rally (rather than just quietly fizzling out under normal crunching load).

If we get the 5th Drive done early enough, we might have time to squeeze in another quick goal...say, getting Doublecheck Drive #1 done by year's end. We were supposed to finish that one last year but it kind of got delayed since nobody's been working on it.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 08:25   #130
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

7·1,447 Posts
Default

Yes definitely, time for a weeklong rally again.

I'll be out of town from approximately Oct. 18th thru 26th but that shouldn't be a problem unless there is a power blip right before the rally starts. I'll have a friend on call in case that happens. Alternatively we could do one from Oct. 27th to Nov. 3rd.

Yes, I agree and like the idea of a "finish the drive" rally in Dec.

Max, please check with Lennart and Primegrid to make sure that we don't overlap one of their rallies.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 17:40   #131
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Yes definitely, time for a weeklong rally again.

I'll be out of town from approximately Oct. 18th thru 26th but that shouldn't be a problem unless there is a power blip right before the rally starts. I'll have a friend on call in case that happens. Alternatively we could do one from Oct. 27th to Nov. 3rd.

Yes, I agree and like the idea of a "finish the drive" rally in Dec.

Max, please check with Lennart and Primegrid to make sure that we don't overlap one of their rallies.
PrimeGrid schedules their rallies ahead of time at the beginning of the year; the list for 2010 can be found at http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/challenge.php.

Either possibility that we've discussed (Oct. 18-26 or Oct. 27-Nov. 3) would be sufficiently far away from the nearest PrimeGrid rally (17 Nov, 24 hours long).
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 21:21   #132
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

1012910 Posts
Default

Let's do one Oct. 27th to Nov. 3rd. Does that work for everyone? :-)
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some old stuff Batalov Miscellaneous Math 1 2017-01-27 04:56
Stuff for sale fivemack Lounge 12 2011-06-12 11:28
useful stuff paulunderwood Linux 3 2005-12-05 22:18
Free stuff... Xyzzy Software 6 2004-10-06 13:35
Extra Stuff... Xyzzy Lounge 11 2003-09-15 23:22

All times are UTC. The time now is 10:54.

Sun May 31 10:54:35 UTC 2020 up 67 days, 8:27, 1 user, load averages: 1.47, 1.70, 1.78

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.