Old 2010-09-21, 18:51   #111
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
edit: I see that the url above Max goes to the PG thread. The two linux ppsieve(cuda) at the top are the early initial testing source for linux. Farther down in the thread they are talking about XP. Is there any precompiled binaries for XP for the cuda card, and if so, which cuda release is it running under... 3.1??
Yes, Windows binaries are available. If you download the ppsieve-cuda.zip linked in the PrimeGrid thread (available directly at https://sites.google.com/site/kenscode/prime-programs), you'll find Windows and Linux binaries included.

Note that there are two copies each of the Windows and Linux binaries, one for manual sieving only and one for BOINC. The one they use in all the example command lines in the PrimeGrid thread is the BOINC version; it actually works for manual sieving just as well as the "regular" one. The only difference is that it writes stderr output to stderr.txt and produces a few BOINC status files (a .xml file as well as one called "boinc_lockfile") which are needed when running under BOINC. Depending on your setup, these could come in handy if you want to save some of the console output (speed info, etc.) that might otherwise scroll off the screen.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 01:04   #112
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Sigh................................. :-( Learning curves suck! :-(
Round one went down in flames. I sucked down the 3.2 cuda driver and installed it. Well ldd showed a bunch of missing dependencies. the CL version at least started, and detected 480 multiprocessors & 2400 spu's on device 0, but that was about the extent of things as then it errored out with a problem with the clBuildProgram.

So when I get back in Dodge Sunday evening I will go do a fresh install of ubuntu, and load in the earlier sdk stuff stuff and give that a go.
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 01:39   #113
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Sigh................................. :-( Learning curves suck! :-(
Round one went down in flames. I sucked down the 3.2 cuda driver and installed it. Well ldd showed a bunch of missing dependencies. the CL version at least started, and detected 480 multiprocessors & 2400 spu's on device 0, but that was about the extent of things as then it errored out with a problem with the clBuildProgram.

So when I get back in Dodge Sunday evening I will go do a fresh install of ubuntu, and load in the earlier sdk stuff stuff and give that a go.
I used the 3.1 CUDA driver, but I expect the basic idea is the same. Did you by chance get an "API mismatch" error? That was the same one I got.

For Ubuntu, you have to be sure to disable the restricted drivers manager before installing the drivers from the nVidia website--otherwise they will collide with the drivers Ubuntu is trying to run and you'll get an "API mismatch" error. If you've already tried to install the nVidia drivers without first removing the restricted drivers manager, then it's too late--the only way to clean things up is a reinstall (which it sounds like you're going to do anyway).

To install nVidia's drivers the "proper" way:
-Remove the jockey-common and jockey-gtx packages.
-Follow the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual. (These were written for an older version of Ubuntu, hence why they didn't include the first step of getting rid of jockey; otherwise they're complete though.)
-Download the drivers and CUDA toolkit from nVidia at http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda_archive.html. (3.1 is what I used, but 3.2 beta should work OK as well.) Note that these are special CUDA "developer drivers", not the regular ones; AFAIK, those don't work with CUDA.
-Install the drivers, then the CUDA toolkit.
-Reboot (duh).
-Profit! (er, sieve)
Old 2010-09-22, 11:57   #114
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5178 Posts

I can put some cuda capable cards to good use doing some sieving for NPLB. Today Brucifer reminded me about the pps sieve subproject over at Primegrid. I have a 9800GTX on that; it takes 21 minutes a task and earns about 6 cobblestones ie 18 / hour. That's not brilliant pay compared to Dnetc, GPUGrid and Collatz BOINC.
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 16:45   #115
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
I can put some cuda capable cards to good use doing some sieving for NPLB. Today Brucifer reminded me about the pps sieve subproject over at Primegrid. I have a 9800GTX on that; it takes 21 minutes a task and earns about 6 cobblestones ie 18 / hour. That's not brilliant pay compared to Dnetc, GPUGrid and Collatz BOINC.
As I mentioned to Bruce via PM, since yesterday I've been working on getting the sieve started to p=4.5G (ppsieve-CUDA can't go much lower than that). That finished about an hour ago, so I'll move the sieve to Gary's GPU and get it up to something in the vicnity of 100G (depending on how fast the GPU goes on this sieve) so that the file will be small enough for easy distribution.

You can expect a formal sieving drive to be ready by the end of the week.

Edit (slightly off topic): you're saying your GPU only gets 18 cobblestones/hour on PrimeGrid's PPS Sieve subproject? That doesn't sound right...one core of my CPU gets 50/hour (130 or so per WU, each of which takes 2.5 hours).

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2010-09-22 at 16:47
Old 2010-09-22, 16:46   #116
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

22·709 Posts

I have BOINC running on 2 machines. Windows 64 both. They are running Collatz GPU app using the appropriate Nvidia drivers. Running well.

I downloaded the Windows executable of PPsieve (the binary) and tried executing it.
I get the following message. CudaSetDeviceFlags could not be located in Dynamic Line Library cudart.dll

Any ideas.

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2010-09-22 at 18:22
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 16:50   #117
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
I have BOINC running on 2 machines. Windows 64 both. They are running Collatz GPU app using the appropriate Nvidia drivers. Running well.

I downloaded the Windows executable of PPsieve (the binary) and tried executing it.
I get the following message. CudaSetDeviceFlags could not be located in Dynamic Line Library cudart.dll

Any ideas.
I've heard that in situations like this it can sometimes help to find the cudart.dll file (wherever the nVidia drivers put it) and copy it to the ppsieve folder. I'd give that a try.
Old 2010-09-22, 16:56   #118
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

22×709 Posts

Quote:
I've heard that in situations like this it can sometimes help to find the cudart.dll file (wherever the nVidia drivers put it) and copy it to the ppsieve folder. I'd give that a try.
What I did was put the PPSieve executable into the Boinc account with cudart.dll. That should have worked.

Edit: Okay, Fixed. I had the wrong cudart,dll. It at least executes now.

Edit2: Got it working with the test case from PrimeGrid. Looks good. Seems rather speedy.

Edit3: Looks like ppsieve only handles base 2

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2010-09-22 at 18:40 Reason: Running banter
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 07:15   #119
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
You can expect a formal sieving drive to be ready by the end of the week.
Excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Edit (slightly off topic): you're saying your GPU only gets 18 cobblestones/hour on PrimeGrid's PPS Sieve subproject? That doesn't sound right...one core of my CPU gets 50/hour (130 or so per WU, each of which takes 2.5 hours).
Update: that was the Pending result, the actual cobblestones Credit awarded was a rather more generous 134.87 per task. Still well below Collatz, GPUGrid, DNetc and MilkyWay.
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 07:33   #120
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
Excellent.

Update: that was the Pending result, the actual cobblestones Credit awarded was a rather more generous 134.87 per task. Still well below Collatz, GPUGrid, DNetc and MilkyWay.
Ah, I see. That makes sense now. In that case, you're getting about 400 credits/hour on the GPU, which seems right given its speed relative to my CPU core.

Meanwhile, an update on the upcoming sieve: It turns out that in addition to the p=2^32 lower bound, ppsieve-CUDA also has another limit (possibly different for different sieves) such that we must actually sieve to p=135G on a CPU before moving to the GPU. (This time, yes, I've verified that ppsieve-CUDA does work starting at 135G. ) So we currently have the sieve running on one of Gary's quads up to that level; it should be done sometime on Saturday if ppsieve's ETA (er, that's ETC...a strangely common miswriting) is correct.
Old 2010-09-23, 17:02   #121
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31·67 Posts

Is there a reason that there are no [known] primes for 2293*2^n-1?
It's a low weight but so is e.g. k=2279, which has 4 known primes.
Just primes being strange again?

Last fiddled with by kar_bon on 2010-09-23 at 17:31
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote