mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2010-05-11, 22:25   #133
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

7×1,447 Posts

Max,

It looks like Lennart brought a fair-sized number of cores to port 9000 in the last day. Can you load n=796K-800K in PRPnet port 9000 sometime today? It will probably need to be today. Thanks.

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 22:55   #134
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Max,

It looks like Lennart brought a fair-sized number of cores to port 9000 in the last day. Can you load n=796K-800K in PRPnet port 9000 sometime today? It will probably need to be today. Thanks.

Gary
I think what you're seeing is a somewhat normal fluctuation of how many cores he has on G9000 at any given moment: from what it looks like, I'm guessing he's got his clients set to split their time between NPLB and some other server (possibly a PrimeGrid or personal server), which means that clients are moving on and off throughout the day.

As I've watched the hourly output numbers, I've noticed a pattern of ebbs and flows; sometimes Lennart's output can go all the way up to 80/hour, other times it's down to 5/hour. He seems to be moving the server forward at a rate of about .3-.4K per day.

Lennart, are you by chance planning to sustain your current rate of processing on the server? If so, I'll load in 796K-800K as Gary suggested; otherwise, I'll just keep refilling it 1K at a time as per standard operating plan.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 23:01   #135
Lennart

"Lennart"
Jun 2007

25·5·7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Lennart, are you by chance planning to sustain your current rate of processing on the server? If so, I'll load in 796K-800K as Gary suggested; otherwise, I'll just keep refilling it 1K at a time as per standard operating plan.

No I do some work on small n. I have NPLB as a fallback when i clean up and reload my servers. :)

Lennart

Last fiddled with by Lennart on 2010-05-11 at 23:01
Lennart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 00:18   #136
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

7·1,447 Posts

Oh, OK. Makes sense. I had also seen the fluctuations but I was looking at more of an average daily processing the last 3 days of > 1000 pairs a day. Even with the large hourly fluctuations, the daily fluctuations were far less on a percentage basis, i.e. ~1100, 800, and 1150 the last 3 days including today GMT. (Tues. is now done GMT.) The average # of pairs in an n=1K range is only ~3800.

Max, I might suggest an n=2K range since it can fluctuate quite a bit. We don't want to be caught off guard and the server to dry. If it's in his server list, we would just lose his processing altogether if it dried.

Thinking of it mathwise and to avoid too large of gaps for extended periods: If Lennart would be close to completing n=796K-800K at approximately the same time that the LLRnet server completes n=786K-796K, then loading n=796K-800K would be the way to go. But since we don't know what those fluctuations will be right now, a 4K range is probably a little large.

Thanks for keeping us in your fallback server list Lennart.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-05-12 at 00:25
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 01:05   #137
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Oh, OK. Makes sense. I had also seen the fluctuations but I was looking at more of an average daily processing the last 3 days of > 1000 pairs a day. Even with the large hourly fluctuations, the daily fluctuations were far less on a percentage basis, i.e. ~1100, 800, and 1150 the last 3 days including today GMT. (Tues. is now done GMT.) The average # of pairs in an n=1K range is only ~3800.

Max, I might suggest an n=2K range since it can fluctuate quite a bit. We don't want to be caught off guard and the server to dry. If it's in his server list, we would just lose his processing altogether if it dried.

Thinking of it mathwise and to avoid too large of gaps for extended periods: If Lennart would be close to completing n=796K-800K at approximately the same time that the LLRnet server completes n=786K-796K, then loading n=796K-800K would be the way to go. But since we don't know what those fluctuations will be right now, a 4K range is probably a little large.

Thanks for keeping us in your fallback server list Lennart.
All right, 2K it is then. I'll probably load in 796K-798K later today; then I'll continue to keep an eye on it and load in 798K-800K as we get close to 798K.
Old 2010-05-23, 06:32   #138
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Karsten,

As you know, there's currently no easy way to determine the lowest untested n remaining in PRPnet port 9000 without direct access to the DB. I'm planning to add some code to the http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/prpnet/ page to make it query this information and display it, but in the meantime, I remembered that you'll probably need this information to determine which ranges are ready for you to process. So, I just wanted to let you know: the current lowest outstanding pair in G9000 is 453*2^810127-1. You should therefore be able to process all ranges from that server below that.

Hope this helps,
Max
Old 2010-05-23, 11:51   #139
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

24·52·7 Posts

Quote:
As you know, there's currently no easy way to determine the lowest untested n remaining in PRPnet port 9000 without direct access to the DB. I'm planning to add some code to the http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/prpnet/ page to make it query this information and display it, but in the meantime, I remembered that you'll probably need this information to determine which ranges are ready for you to process. So, I just wanted to let you know: the current lowest outstanding pair in G9000 is 453*2^810127-1. You should therefore be able to process all ranges from that server below that.
I don't really need that information: I download the result-files and process them by counting the done pairs in a special n-range by scripts.
If there're no pairs remaining, I compare them with the original sieve-file: If any pair is missing or doubled, I'm aware of it.

The information I need more for the PRPnet-stats page is the sum of all remaining pairs.
For now only a copy of the table of k-values in a spreadsheet and adding them there will do this!
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 15:15   #140
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
I don't really need that information: I download the result-files and process them by counting the done pairs in a special n-range by scripts.
If there're no pairs remaining, I compare them with the original sieve-file: If any pair is missing or doubled, I'm aware of it.

The information I need more for the PRPnet-stats page is the sum of all remaining pairs.
For now only a copy of the table of k-values in a spreadsheet and adding them there will do this!
Ah, okay. Yes, the total number of remaining pairs will definitely be on the status page once I'm done rewriting it; in the meantime, I suppose pulling the information out of a spreadsheet as you're doing is the easiest way.
Old 2010-05-23, 16:21   #141
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3·11·173 Posts

Quote:
Ah, okay. Yes, the total number of remaining pairs will definitely be on the status page once I'm done rewriting it; in the meantime, I suppose pulling the information out of a spreadsheet as you're doing is the easiest way.
If you have an enhancement to the code base, please send it on to me for potential inclusion in the next release.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 16:43   #142
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
If you have an enhancement to the code base, please send it on to me for potential inclusion in the next release.
Well, I wasn't planning to integrate this into the PRPnet code base (I don't know C++, so that would be a little hard); rather, I was planning to integrate it into my Perl script that I use to generate the status page at http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/prpnet/. Currently that page doesn't display too much info, but the idea is to get it somewhere closer to what http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/llrnet/ displays (that's the original script, designed for LLRnet, which pulls all its information from the various text files).
Old 2010-05-23, 18:58   #143
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

3·11·173 Posts

Quote:
Well, I wasn't planning to integrate this into the PRPnet code base (I don't know C++, so that would be a little hard); rather, I was planning to integrate it into my Perl script that I use to generate the status page at http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/prpnet/. Currently that page doesn't display too much info, but the idea is to get it somewhere closer to what http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/llrnet/ displays (that's the original script, designed for LLRnet, which pulls all its information from the various text files).
Let me know what stats you want to see and I can look into the effort to display them.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote