mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2009-12-16, 22:38   #1288
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

22×709 Posts

It's still sending and receiving work so the stats ain't that big a deal. I thought that maybe someone forget to turn them on after fixing the email stuff.
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 23:19   #1289
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
It's still sending and receiving work so the stats ain't that big a deal. I thought that maybe someone forget to turn them on after fixing the email stuff.
Actually, that's because the servers have amazingly still managed to keep running, but they can't write to disk so any work done on them right now is useless. I highly recommend everyone move to David's servers for now.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 08:34   #1290
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111100011112 Posts

I had Sherri go over and shut down the machine, turn it back on, log in, and do the "start VNC server" thing, which is all that I had done before to get it not locked up. I then could easily restart the servers.

Alas. No luck. I can't connect remotely. Before asking for a password, most of the time, it says "Failed to connect to server (blah-blah IP address) in a small Windows box. Other times it says in the DOS box "failed to connect". And further...I can't connect remotely to ANY of my machines because Dumpford is the gateway machine.

...par for the course.

Consider the GB servers out of commission until next Tuesday.

Max thinks it's a hard drive problem. Why oh why, after picking by far my most stable Intel machine does this happen on the 2nd day of a 7 day trip?

I personally think it's a virus and that a reload of the O.S. would take care of it.

No one really knows for sure. I've only seen symptoms like this when a virus has taken over one of my Window's machines. Of course this is a Linux machine so I'm only going by my Windows experience. For me, when a hard drive goes, it's usually toast; the machine won't boot at all or major directories are analiated. There's none of this "sometimes it works for a while", "sometimes it doesn't" stuff.

Max, if you can figure out how to connect to any of my machines, go for it. If so, perhaps you can get the servers restarted. If you do, I'm wondering if everyone connects for a few minutes if it will correctly write out the results that it has failed to do for over a day.

One more thing: Even if it can't correctly write out the results to the correct file, I wonder if they can be extracted from the file that contains all of the "transactions" of the server, so to speak.

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 18:04   #1291
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
I had Sherri go over and shut down the machine, turn it back on, log in, and do the "start VNC server" thing, which is all that I had done before to get it not locked up. I then could easily restart the servers.

Alas. No luck. I can't connect remotely. Before asking for a password, most of the time, it says "Failed to connect to server (blah-blah IP address) in a small Windows box. Other times it says in the DOS box "failed to connect". And further...I can't connect remotely to ANY of my machines because Dumpford is the gateway machine.

...par for the course.

Consider the GB servers out of commission until next Tuesday.

Max thinks it's a hard drive problem. Why oh why, after picking by far my most stable Intel machine does this happen on the 2nd day of a 7 day trip?

I personally think it's a virus and that a reload of the O.S. would take care of it.

No one really knows for sure. I've only seen symptoms like this when a virus has taken over one of my Window's machines. Of course this is a Linux machine so I'm only going by my Windows experience. For me, when a hard drive goes, it's usually toast; the machine won't boot at all or major directories are analiated. There's none of this "sometimes it works for a while", "sometimes it doesn't" stuff.

Max, if you can figure out how to connect to any of my machines, go for it. If so, perhaps you can get the servers restarted. If you do, I'm wondering if everyone connects for a few minutes if it will correctly write out the results that it has failed to do for over a day.
I just tried connecting and it didn't work either. So, looks like the GB servers are out until Tuesday as Gary said.

As for a virus: I'll admit, it is possible. I'm not exactly sure how it would have managed to get on the system and do its damange, but it is possible. Maybe I can get an antivirus program installed (yes, they do have those for Linux) after we've got dumpford online again and scan it to see if it turns up anything.

Quote:
One more thing: Even if it can't correctly write out the results to the correct file, I wonder if they can be extracted from the file that contains all of the "transactions" of the server, so to speak.
Uh, that wouldn't do us any good. It wasn't able to write to anything which includes the joblist.txt and prpserver.candidates files (i.e. the "transactions" files).
Old 2009-12-17, 21:48   #1292
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

I would doubt that is a virus, most likely a hardware issue. the unfortunate part is no one will know until someone can get their hot sweaty little hands and fingers physically onto the system.
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 08:49   #1293
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

13·19·41 Posts

Max,

Is there any reason that PRPnet ports 3000 and 5000 aren't showing up on the hourly stats pages here? I have had the equivalent of one client each on them for over a day.

Is it for the same reason that we can't see the related no-IP web pages?

Gary
Old 2009-12-29, 19:11   #1294
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Max,

Is there any reason that PRPnet ports 3000 and 5000 aren't showing up on the hourly stats pages here? I have had the equivalent of one client each on them for over a day.

Is it for the same reason that we can't see the related no-IP web pages?

Gary
Sorry, I still haven't solved the problem of the "403 Forbidden" error that's happening on all the web pages. I'll try to look into that today; after that's all set, the DB pages should get all caught up, and the http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/prpnet/ and /llrnet/ pages should become visible.
Old 2010-01-11, 10:19   #1295
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

13×19×41 Posts

Just a note for everyone: We are in the process of drying out David's LLRnet port IB2000 for the 11th drive. It won't happen for just over 2 days just yet. In the mean time, we will be setting up LLRNet port GB6000 on my machine sometime late Monday or early Tuesday for ranges n>525K.

The bottom line is that the 11th drive will continue on LLRnet port GB6000 once IB2000 has dried.

Gary
Old 2010-01-12, 04:07   #1296
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Hi all,

LLRnet G6000 is now online, to replace IB2000 (which is close to drying now) on the 11th Drive. It is currently loaded with n=525.2K-530K.

Max
Old 2010-01-12, 05:39   #1297
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

13×19×41 Posts

Thanks for taking care of that Max.
Old 2010-01-13, 09:10   #1298
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

13·19·41 Posts

Ironbits port 2000 should dry out sometime late Weds. or early Thurs. Everyone be sure and switch your matchines to the following port to continue with the 11th drive:

server = "nplb-gb1.no-ip.org"
port = 6000

I'll put 1-2 quads on the above but will move most of my machines to Ironbits port 8000 to dry that one out as quickly as possible so that we can complete the migration of the servers to my machine.

Gary