mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2009-05-03, 03:03   #991
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

2·7·47 Posts

Razor_FX_II

If your clients are still generating errors continuously, stop them, then in each folder delete
workfile.txt,
tosend.txt,
results.txt
lresults.txt
and any 'zXXXXX' or 'yXXXXX' files (where the z or y is followed by a series of numbers).

It is possible that a depth setting has got stuck in one of your files that doesn't match the setting on the server port.

After that you should be able to restart the clients cleanly and they will get the fresh copy of settings from the server.

(Tested)

Last fiddled with by AMDave on 2009-05-03 at 03:05
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 03:39   #992
Razor_FX_II

Jan 2009

43 Posts

Thanks for the idea AMDave. Didn't think of doing that this morning.
Razor_FX_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 08:10   #993
pfb

Apr 2009

22×3 Posts
Default Ironbits's NPLB site down?

Anyone else having problems connecting to the ironbits.net site?

All my clients are sleeping as they can't connect and can't connect to the site (or Free-DC either)...

Seems to have happened in the past 45 mins or so :(

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2009-05-05 at 09:01 Reason: Moved from seperate thread to this thread
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 08:24   #994
pfb

Apr 2009

22×3 Posts

Seems to be back now (always the way when you post about a site being down :p); but was unavailable from around 07:00 to 08:00GMT...

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2009-05-05 at 09:01 Reason: Moved from seperate thread to this thread
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 20:50   #995
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

B1416 Posts

LLR Server question. If I start up a Windows LLR Server app , can a Linux LLRNET client on a different machine get work from it?

If thr answer is no, then I need a Linux LLR Server care package along with instructions on how to get it up and running.

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2009-05-05 at 20:52
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 20:57   #996
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×3×7×241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
LLR Server question. If I start up a Windows LLR Server app , can a Linux LLRNET client on a different machine get work from it?

If thr answer is no, then I need a Linux LLR Server care package along with instructions on how to get it up and running.
Funny. I just got the same request from Bruce since a Linux server is on my machine. I referred him to Max. Max, can you help Ian here?

Running a personal LLRnet server is cool but I want to let everyone know that IronBits at a previous time offered to host a personal LLRnet server for anyone who wants one. Many months ago, I used one for a while. I think Max may still use one from time-to-time. David, does that offer still stand?

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 21:13   #997
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Funny. I just got the same request from Bruce since a Linux server is on my machine. I referred him to Max. Max, can you help Ian here?

Running a personal LLRnet server is cool but I want to let everyone know that IronBits at a previous time offered to host a personal LLRnet server for anyone who wants one. Many months ago, I used one for a while. I think Max may still use one from time-to-time. David, does that offer still stand?

Gary
Okay, no problem. I'll send Ian and Bruce both some quick instructions sometime soon.

In Bruce's case, he wants to run a server for some machines without internet access, so one of David's servers wouldn't work. Ian, do the machines you'd be using this server with have internet access?

BTW, I'm not sure any more if David's offer to run personal servers will still work OK with all the database stuff. My personal servers (ports 10000 and 10001) went the way of the dodo bird during the massive server upgrades, which worked OK since I'd already started hosting my personal servers on Gary's machines by then.

David, are personal servers still available? Or would that cause problems with personal work being accidentally imported into the NPLB stats database?
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 21:32   #998
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

I believe that Ian is asking in my behalf as I had been talking offline with him. He has windows stuff he runs. However the issue is I only have linux stuff, and Ian was trying to help me but has no linux experience. So this my request for the linux zip to look at how stuff is set up.
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 21:33   #999
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

45916 Posts

I would prefer to stay out of the personal server business and stay focused on the current project's llrnet servers, and hopefully the new prpnet servers once all the bugs get worked out.

The server version makes no difference to the client versions.

The limitation of the Windows server versions is the amount of sockets available, and the default timing of releasing the ports is too long to be of any good to a large online llrnet server to handle hundreds of cores.

If you have less than 75 cores, mostly on a personal local network where the server resides, then Windows or Linux llrnet servers will do fine.

Word of caution, that can't be said enough...
Do not allow any server versions to connect to the projects main servers to obtain or upload work.

Last fiddled with by IronBits on 2009-05-05 at 21:38
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 21:35   #1000
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
I believe that Ian is asking in my behalf as I had been talking offline with him. He has windows stuff he runs. However the issue is I only have linux stuff, and Ian was trying to help me but has no linux experience. So this my request for the linux zip to look at how stuff is set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
Bruce and I are after the same thing, getting a local server running on either an XP machine or on a Linux machine for Bruce, with Linux clients asking for work. So to save time, lets just solve Bruces' concerns.
Okay, no problem. I'll get a care package for Bruce set up and send it to both of you, along with some instructions for setting up and maintaining it.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 10:43   #1001
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
Razor_FX_II

If your clients are still generating errors continuously, stop them, then in each folder delete
workfile.txt,
tosend.txt,
results.txt
lresults.txt
and any 'zXXXXX' or 'yXXXXX' files (where the z or y is followed by a series of numbers).

It is possible that a depth setting has got stuck in one of your files that doesn't match the setting on the server port.

After that you should be able to restart the clients cleanly and they will get the fresh copy of settings from the server.

(Tested)
I think this needs to be a sticky in a Troubleshooting section. Have had to delete everything and start again on a couple of my machines so far.
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote