mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2009-04-18, 12:50   #78
AMDave

Jan 2006
deep in a while-loop

10100100102 Posts
Default Acronym

The Acronym 'NPLB' has been submitted to Acronym Finder.

The AF entry is 'pending'.
AMDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 14:31   #79
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

22·709 Posts

Quote:

The Acronym 'NPLB' has been submitted to Acronym Finder.

The AF entry is 'pending'.
Cool
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 03:34   #80
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

34·53 Posts

I have sent a couple of questions to Chris Caldwell at the top-5000 site about changing the ProjectID from PrimeSearch to No Prime Left Behind. I can do it easily enough and it lets me do so but I'm unsure of the impact that it will have on existing and future new prover accounts.

If there is no impact and a prover account can be set up with the initials of "NPLB" for a project name, look for the ProjectID to be changed either on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 03:35   #81
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3·7·53 Posts

That will be a great help! Nice work.

Everything is coming together nicely
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 05:06   #82
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

54248 Posts

Quote:
I have sent a couple of questions to Chris Caldwell at the top-5000 site about changing the ProjectID from PrimeSearch to No Prime Left Behind.
Yea? Another piece of the puzzle being solved.
Old 2009-04-21, 05:55   #83
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

34×53 Posts

Chris has questioned our intent in changing the project name since former PrimeSearch project primes are still in the top-5000...49 to be exact.

I will be following up with Michael Hartley on it. It may be a little while yet.

Politics that I love so much...

Gary
Old 2009-04-21, 05:57   #84
PCZ

Jun 2006
Chertsey Surrey UK

2×179 Posts

Changing the project name to NPLB would be great.

If however that was to impact on the existing prover accounts there would be tears alll round.
PCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 07:27   #85
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

22·5·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Chris has questioned our intent in changing the project name since former PrimeSearch project primes are still in the top-5000...49 to be exact.

I will be following up with Michael Hartley on it. It may be a little while yet.

Politics that I love so much...

Gary
Is Chris able to split those primes back to Primesearch?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 07:38   #86
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

34·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCZ View Post
Changing the project name to NPLB would be great.

If however that was to impact on the existing prover accounts there would be tears alll round.
There would be no impact other than the project name within the prover account would change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Is Chris able to split those primes back to Primesearch?
I would have to ask him. I believe it would be possible but I think it would be a huge undertaking both on my part and his. I'd have to send him a huge list of primes that either: (1) PrimeSearch previously found -or- (2) We have found since starting this effort. I think then a whole new set of proof codes would be needed, which I or someone here would have to do. Then Prof. Caldwell would have to take a lot of time to move them all over. I think it would be time-consuming no matter how it is done.

I'm composing an Email to Michael Hartley now. I think he'll go along with the simple name change. I am offering to continue respecting his contribution to our effort by continuing to show how PrimeSearch started in the description of our project as it is now. I would do that anyway because he deserves that respect. The original PrimeSearch site was very state of the art when it was created around 2000 or 2001. I'm sure he spent a lot of time at it.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-04-21 at 07:40
Old 2009-04-22, 05:39   #87
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

34·53 Posts

The turn around was much faster on the top-5000 project name change than I expected. Here is the status:

Shortly before getting the approval from Michael Hartley to change the name, Prof. Caldwell had suggested that it be called "No Prime Left Behind (formally PrimeSearch)" when the project is displayed in the list of top 20 projects. I thought this was an excellent idea and Michael seemed happy that we decided to do that.

Then we get down to the nitty-gritty:

1. I have changed the "Username" from "Primesearch" to "NPLB". This is only a 16-character field so that is the only reasonable abbreviation that I could put in there.

2. Prof. Caldwell needs to change a "Surname" or something else so that it shows "No Prime Left Behind (formally PrimeSearch)" in the list of projects.

3. Prof. Caldwell needs to change a "Surname" or something else so that it shows "NPLB" within the proof codes.

There must be 3 different fields but I don't know what they all are. For RPS, their Username is RPS, their project name in the top-20 list is "Riesel Prime Search", and their project name within each proof code is "RieselPrime"...all different.

My hope is this: When people enter new proof codes, they only have to enter "NPLB" for the project name. I don't know what that keys off of. I had thought it would key off of the Username but clearly that is not the case with RPS since theirs are different nor us because none of our proof codes changed when I changed the Username from PrimeSearch to NPLB.

Another admin duty (mostly) done.

Gary
Old 2009-04-22, 06:09   #88
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

22·709 Posts

Nice job Gary.