Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2009-01-26, 11:55   #793
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

1012510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
Thanks mate. I think I found a solution. MS Access will also do what I want.

The GB's are still not working for me??????? I can get the status page but I still can't get any work.

Bad machine again. I swapped the hard drive to another but don't know how to restart the server.

CRUS port 3000 seems to be up. All I had to do is hit enter on the "prpserver" executable. Ian, you might try that one to see if you can get pairs.

Going to bed in 30 mins. If I get an answer by then, I'll try to start it. Otherwise, Max is aware of it and will start it when he gets on or it will be 8 hrs. before I'm on.

G

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-01-26 at 12:00
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 12:11   #794
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

1012510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Bad machine again. I swapped the hard drive to another but don't know how to restart the server.

CRUS port 3000 seems to be up. All I had to do is hit enter on the "prpserver" executable. Ian, you might try that one to see if you can get pairs.

Going to bed in 30 mins. If I get an answer by then, I'll try to start it. Otherwise, Max is aware of it and will start it when he gets on or it will be 8 hrs. before I'm on.

G

OMG, I actually got lucky and figured it out after multiple different attempts. Hopefully I didn't jack anything up. Here is the command that I used to restart port G4000 at the command prompt:

./llrnet llrserver.lua

Can someone verify that I executed the correct command?

Knowing absolutely nothing about the syntax of the command or what file to execute other than to execute a program in Linux, you have to start with "./", I'm floored. Right after I did it, it started "proposing", i.e. sending, pairs to Ian and in the system monitor, it showed an occurrence of LLRnet that is sleeping, which is exactly what it always does when the server is up. Now I can sleep better.

When you're good, you're good. lmao (ya right!)

Edit: Now it just shut itself back down after doing some pruning for no particular reason that I can see so I restarted it and it's running again. I suspect that's nothing I've done. I seem to recall others having a problem when a server goes down. Sometimes you have to wait a while or something like that to get it to stay up. Oh well, if it goes down again, Max should bring it back up or I will later today.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-01-26 at 12:26
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 18:05   #795
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
OMG, I actually got lucky and figured it out after multiple different attempts. Hopefully I didn't jack anything up. Here is the command that I used to restart port G4000 at the command prompt:

./llrnet llrserver.lua

Can someone verify that I executed the correct command?

Knowing absolutely nothing about the syntax of the command or what file to execute other than to execute a program in Linux, you have to start with "./", I'm floored. Right after I did it, it started "proposing", i.e. sending, pairs to Ian and in the system monitor, it showed an occurrence of LLRnet that is sleeping, which is exactly what it always does when the server is up. Now I can sleep better.

When you're good, you're good. lmao (ya right!)

Edit: Now it just shut itself back down after doing some pruning for no particular reason that I can see so I restarted it and it's running again. I suspect that's nothing I've done. I seem to recall others having a problem when a server goes down. Sometimes you have to wait a while or something like that to get it to stay up. Oh well, if it goes down again, Max should bring it back up or I will later today.

Gary
Yep, you got it pretty well right--other than G4000 crashing shortly after (which isn't your fault anyway), it sounds like it's all working fine after you started it up.

I've noticed you've sent me a PM about this--I'll read and reply to that shortly with more details.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 00:07   #796
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3·7·53 Posts

Ok, stopped the server and flushed it out, took it to one day, flushed it out, put it back to 3 days and restarted it.

See what you got.

Can anyone confirm/deny
1) That we have to take a server offline before appending more pairs to knpairs.txt ???
2) That the server only reads the llr-serverconfig.txt file ONCE at startup so any changes made to llr-serverconfig.txt after a server is running will be ignored until it is stopped and restarted?

IF the above are both true, then is there anything in a .lua file or something else that can be done so that if it sees a change, it re-reads it?
(thinking dnetc clients...)

Quote:
David,

Please set the JobMaxTime for port 8000 at 1 day. I'll have you set it back to 3 days sometime late Monday night.

We have some low k/n pairs that need to be cleared out.

Thanks,
Gary

Last fiddled with by IronBits on 2009-01-27 at 00:08
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 02:16   #797
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
Can anyone confirm/deny
1) That we have to take a server offline before appending more pairs to knpairs.txt ???
2) That the server only reads the llr-serverconfig.txt file ONCE at startup so any changes made to llr-serverconfig.txt after a server is running will be ignored until it is stopped and restarted?

IF the above are both true, then is there anything in a .lua file or something else that can be done so that if it sees a change, it re-reads it?
(thinking dnetc clients...)
Well, based on what I've seen, neither the client or server reads any of the config or LUA files after it's initially restarted. Though, I guess it would be possible to add some code that makes it automatically re-read the serverconfig file, say, every 5 minutes or so...
Old 2009-01-27, 02:26   #798
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3×7×53 Posts

Once an hour, or better yet, every time it does the prunePeriod would be fine to.
I keep mine at hourly ;)
Adding another batch of pairs to knpairs.txt while the server was running would be a great feature to.

Last fiddled with by IronBits on 2009-01-27 at 02:28
Old 2009-01-27, 04:12   #799
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Okay, I just logged on to Gary's machine and verified that all the servers are fully up and running the way they should be (except for the while-loop thing that I use as a failsafe for server crashes, but which the servers can still function quite well without). All GB-servers are now officially open for business again.
Old 2009-01-28, 18:53   #800
Brucifer

Dec 2005

4718 Posts

In linux it would seem that you should be able to make a change to the configuration file, and then do a "ps- aux" to get the PID number of the running process for the llrnet server. And assuming that it is 2222 for example, do a
kill -HUP 2222
and hit return and it should reread the config file and keep on running without interuption.
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 21:54   #801
vaughan

Jan 2005
Sydney, Australia

5·67 Posts

Are the 8000 and 9000 servers running? Today I'm seeing tasks accumulating in the "unsent result(s)" pane of the GUI.
vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 21:54   #802
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

40358 Posts

Port 8000 is sleeping here. (For over an hour.)

Last fiddled with by Flatlander on 2009-02-01 at 21:57
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 22:39   #803
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

111310 Posts

Damn it!!! /bangs head
I moved the motherboard box out from under the motherboard so it could get cooled off better by having the bottom of the motherboard exposed to cooler air.
ya, about an hour ago... sheesh
Rebooted, all servers back running again.
Sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused anyone.