mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > greenskull

Old 2021-10-24, 21:08   #12
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

141B16 Posts

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) (loosely) based on the short story Farewell to the Master by Harry Bates

A couple about the possible consequences of nukes:

On the Beach (1959) Based on the novel On the Beach by Alex Garland

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)

One SF classic I haven't seen but have heard a lot about

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-24, 23:07   #13
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

25510 Posts

The Thing (1982) based on the novella Who Goes There by John W. Cambell Jr.
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 00:19   #14
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5,147 Posts

A couple of SF spoofs or satires worthy of note are

Hardware Wars (1978) In the form of a 13-minute "trailer" of an imagined Star Wars parody.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (1978)

Then there are SF movies which are so dreadful, you have to see them to believe they were actually made. I saw the following two at a public library as part of a series. The theme for that month was "Bombs Away." Two of the titles come immediately to mind:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964) Santa's laughter in this movie is particularly noteworthy...

Plan Nine from Outer Space (1959) Reputed to be the worst movie ever made.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 15:43   #15
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

2·3·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
...we have no knowledge of movies that you have seen since you haven't posted a complete list...
According to the proposed repertoire everything looks like you and Dr Sardonicus don't go to the cinema since about the 80s :)

By the way, for some reason I am completely indifferent to Star Wars. I absolutely do not understand why many people like this movie so much.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-25 at 15:46
greenskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 16:49   #16
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

11001010001112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
According to the proposed repertoire everything looks like you and Dr Sardonicus don't go to the cinema since about the 80s :)

By the way, for some reason I am completely indifferent to Star Wars. I absolutely do not understand why many people like this movie so much.
I tend to watch more classic movies than new movies. I have probably been to the theatre only once in the past 10 years. One reason is that I don't want to spend $10+ to see a movie. I can get most of them free on cable or thru the library within a few months of their theatrical release.

Notice that I didn't mention any movies in the current Marvel or DC universes. I feel similar to those as I do towards the current Star Wars universe, in other words, complete apathy. Nevertheless I am surprised that nobody has listed any of them here. Some of them are more fantasy (Thor), but others are more sci-fi (Ironman).

I think the bigger challenge is the sheer numbers of movies released today compared to decades ago. The best movies prior to 2000 stand out because there isn't that much to compare them against. There are so many MCU movies in the past decade that one has difficulty stating that any of one of them is better than the rest and saying that "all of them are great" is disingenuous.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 17:19   #17
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·23·137 Posts

I think for recent English SciFi movies "The Martian" and "Gravity" are worth a mention.

Both have technical/physics flaws but it really doesn't matter IMO. There needs to be something to drive the storyline, and getting bogged down in overly precise details would kill the flow of the movie.

If you know French then "Oxygen" should also rate somewhere in there IMO.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 17:44   #18
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

32×719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I think for recent English SciFi movies "The Martian"
Completely forgot that one. Even my wife liked it, although she read the book upon which it was based.

We watched Ad Astra last summer. My kids (both going into engineering) and I could not stop poking holes in it. Some of the sci-fi was good, but some of it was just terrible.

I actually enjoyed John Carter, although that is more fantasy than science fiction. Apparently it wasn't "Disney enough" for those who didn't like it.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2021-10-25 at 17:52
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 22:25   #19
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

2·3·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I think for recent English SciFi movies "The Martian" and "Gravity" are worth a mention.

Both have technical/physics flaws but it really doesn't matter IMO. There needs to be something to drive the storyline, and getting bogged down in overly precise details would kill the flow of the movie.

If you know French then "Oxygen" should also rate somewhere in there IMO.
I have seen both ones. Not bad really.
Oxygen -- I heard it for the first time now, but the plot looks interesting. Thank you, I'll watch it.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-25 at 22:27
Old 2021-10-25, 22:49   #20
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

33508 Posts

No one has mentioned A.I. Artificial Intelligence. It disappointed many upon release, but I've heard recent appraisals have been more favorable.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 23:01   #21
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·23·137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
No one has mentioned A.I. Artificial Intelligence. It disappointed many upon release, but I've heard recent appraisals have been more favorable.
It is a terrible movie. Sappy nonsense.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-25, 23:11   #22
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

43810 Posts

I have one nice track with name A.I. in my playlist. The track features Peter Gabriel, whom I adore.

And some time ago I watched the movie Her.
I do not recommend reading the entire Wikipedia plot in order to avoid a spoiler.

It is about A. I. My recommendations.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-25 at 23:26