mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2017-06-16, 03:09   #1
preda

"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

1,093 Posts
Default GPU id/name for manual results

Would it be useful to include a GPU name (id) with manual results? If the server would like that, I could add it to gpuOwL result format.

The rationale is that some user can have multiple GPUs. If some results later prove bad, it may be easier to pin-point the "bad GPU" if an id is attached. (Similar to the CPU-name for mprime)
preda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-16, 10:24   #2
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100001011111112 Posts

We like it.

You can PM James with a link to this thread. He is a busy guy and doesn't read all forums, contrarily do kibitzes like ourselves (royal we), but he is the guy who has to make the parser, so if he likes it, it is good to go.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-17, 14:58   #3
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

1011010000012 Posts

I just happened upon this thread by chance.
The manual results parser should already accept user/computer as long as it's in the standard format:
Quote:
UID: <username>(/<compname>),
e.g.:
UID: JamesHeinrich/GTX1080, <result line here as normal>
"UID: " and username are required, slash and gpuname are optional, prepended to your normal result line separated by one comma and one space as shown.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-18, 11:09   #4
preda

"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

44516 Posts

Cool, I'll try this, thanks!
Old 2017-06-18, 18:30   #5
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×23×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preda View Post
Cool, I'll try this, thanks!
As a side note, they'll still be credited to the "manual computing" cpu in the user's account, but the text info will be logged to help in identification later. And maybe at some point the manual result check in will use this info and credit the correct computer for that user.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 00:45   #6
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

100110100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
... And maybe at some point the manual result check in will use this info and credit the correct computer for that user.
I would really like to see this happen. As you know, mfaktc has this option, but CUDALucas does not. Having a bit of programming background myself, I would not think it would be terribly difficult to add the userid/computerid and have it output in the results.txt file.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 12:49   #7
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

32×449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
I just happened upon this thread by chance.
The manual results parser should already accept user/computer as long as it's in the standard format:"UID: " and username are required, slash and gpuname are optional, prepended to your normal result line separated by one comma and one space as shown.
Some gpu model names contain embedded spaces. Examples: GTX1050 Ti; GTX1060 3GB. Those spaces can be stripped if they interfere with parsing. Do they?

Since more than one gpu per model and per system are possible, and being able to trace errors back to an individual gpu card will be useful, I suggest some sort of concatenation of system and gpu allowing unique identification be supported.
Something along the lines of
UID:username/systemname-gpumodelletter so that in the case where one username has multiple GTX1080 for example per box,
UID:JamesHeinrich/systema-GTX1080A
UID:JamesHeinrich/systema-GTX1080B
UID:JamesHeinrich/systema-GTX1080C
UID:JamesHeinrich/systemb-GTX1080D
etc.
(I think that might be more useful than username/GTX1080D for systemb, because it might be the system motherboard memory not the gpu that makes one case unreliable.Moving the gpu to different system hardware is a different configuration that may have different reliability. Maybe best practice is to uniquely label the system and gpu separately)

Being able to get results reports with a selector for a specific system name from PrimeNet, with separate counts for unverified, verified, and known-bad and %bad of total known-status (verified plus known-bad) for each would be very useful.

Are there limits in PrimeNet to the incoming results record length, or individual fields of it, that this might exceed? Any limits on separator choice between system and gpu?

I'm adding UID/systemid-gpuid to the bug and feature lists I'm keeping, beginning with cudalucas and cudapm1. Cudapm1 is derived from cudalucas so doing both should be straightforward.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2017-08-11 at 13:01
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 16:20   #8
GP2

Sep 2003

2·1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Some gpu model names contain embedded spaces. Examples: GTX1050 Ti; GTX1060 3GB. Those spaces can be stripped if they interfere with parsing. Do they?
In the database there are numerous examples of the Computer name field containing embedded spaces, for instance:

https://mersenne.org/report_ll/?exp_...exfactor=1&B1=

Same goes for the User name field.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 22:33   #9
preda

"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

1,093 Posts

gpuOwL now has -uid, which takes a string given by the user that will be put as UID: in results. Thus nothing automatic, the user decides the content.
Old 2017-08-12, 12:21   #10
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

43×67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post

Are there limits in PrimeNet to the incoming results record length, or individual fields of it, that this might exceed? Any limits on separator choice between system and gpu?
UID:<user>/<machine> parsing for all manual results looks like this:
Code:
^(UID: ([a-z0-9_\.\+\- ]+)(/([a-z0-9_\.\+\- @'/]+))?, )?
So you can have alphanumeric plus _ . + - [space] for username, and the same plus @ ' / for machinename.

There is of course a maximum field length for both user and machine names, but I'm not sure what they are. You can ask George or Aaron if it's important.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 17:02   #11
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

32·449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
UID:<user>/<machine> parsing for all manual results looks like this:
Code:
^(UID: ([a-z0-9_\.\+\- ]+)(/([a-z0-9_\.\+\- @'/]+))?, )?
So you can have alphanumeric plus _ . + - [space] for username, and the same plus @ ' / for machinename.

There is of course a maximum field length for both user and machine names, but I'm not sure what they are. You can ask George or Aaron if it's important.
Excellent succinct detailed reply. Thanks! :]
It even answers questions I hadn't thought to ask then, such as "could we wrap a system and gpu id combination in quotes." That would cause what looks like a perl pattern match to fail on the system and gpu id combo. There may be very good reasons for excluding some characters from the permitted pattern.

Will inquire about lengths, since I consider it important not to cause PrimeNet problems, or cause problems with my result submissions, and for any coder to know what the constraints are.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2017-08-12 at 17:03
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote