Old 2010-09-21, 17:19   #1
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100000000001012 Posts
Default Recommended GREP for windows?

At work, my machine runs windows (can't change that). I could really benefit from the functionality of grep on a certain project (repetative find and replaces over a group of files) . I don't have admin rights on the PC. I would like to find a free grep for windows that can live outside of ProgramFiles (so that I can try it out.) If it works out ok, I can petition to have it properly installed.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have looked at a few of the top hits on our fav search engine.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 17:52   #2
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

28·11 Posts

The GNU utilities for Win32 cotain command line versions of egrep.exe, fgrep.exe and grep.exe. Try "grep --help" for more info.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 20:34   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7×1,171 Posts

Thanks for that pointer. I think that will now be on my home machine....

I found Notepad++ I have tried it and it seems to work well for one thing that I really wanted, multiline find and replace. I can highlight the text and replace all occurances in whateever file type in a directory. I parked it in a temp folder (it can live on a USB drive).

Free
Does not have to be in Program Files
Does not nee to write to registry
Multiline find and replace √√
Multifile actions
Commandline driven Χ

Overall a big win.
Old 2010-09-21, 23:23   #4
cmd

"(^r'°:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

3E716 Posts

Will, you kindly help us with "regular expressions"
(search and replace) ?

search .
Replace &\t

start
01f
result
0\t1\tf

( \t = tab )

( & | $ ) not working properly

(Thanks)

Last fiddled with by cmd on 2010-09-21 at 23:26 Reason: help
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 02:12   #5
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

22×881 Posts

You an also install MinGW and Msys, which will give you a complete unix environment without touching the registry. If you put the path to the MinGW and Msys binaries in your environment then you can also use a large number of common text utilities from the windows command prompt.

By the way, to do an automated search and replace over multiple files I find 'sed' is more useful.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 08:03   #6
Chris Card

Aug 2004

100000012 Posts

I take it people have a downer on Cygwin for some reason? (perhaps because it writes to the registry?).

Chris
Chris Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 08:26   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

10,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
I take it people have a downer on Cygwin for some reason? (perhaps because it writes to the registry?).

Chris
I have a downer on it because it is GPL licensed. To be able to redistribute binaries their sources must also be redistributed under the GPL. If the source is Free but not GPL (BSD for instance) you can't send anyone a binary.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 10:34   #8
Chris Card

Aug 2004

3×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I have a downer on it because it is GPL licensed. To be able to redistribute binaries their sources must also be redistributed under the GPL. If the source is Free but not GPL (BSD for instance) you can't send anyone a binary.

Paul
I understand, but the original question was about grep.

Chris
Old 2010-09-22, 12:41   #9
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

22·881 Posts

Cygwin reproduces a posix environment much more faithfully than MinGW does, which means its various pieces are integrated together much more tightly than I'd like. At least twice now, I've had to install new versions of packages I've needed, but if the cygwin install is more than a year old then nothing will work unless I throw it all away and get the latest version of everything. Not that something basic like grep would have that problem, but it's a pain to need version of X+1 of something and then put everything on hold while cygwin reinstalls.

Another problem I've noticed is that installing packages in cygwin requires the ability to run cygwin install scripts, which means you have to use their setup utility to run everything and track down dependencies. With MinGW you just unzip the new package into your current install. Using the setup utility means needing network access for it to get all the packages it needs; that sounds like a no-brainer, until you have to install cygwin on a machine with no or restricted network access. What can you do then, put a whole cygwin mirror on a DVD?

Last fiddled with by jasonp on 2010-09-22 at 13:37
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 14:45   #10
Chris Card

Aug 2004

3×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
Cygwin reproduces a posix environment much more faithfully than MinGW does, which means its various pieces are integrated together much more tightly than I'd like. At least twice now, I've had to install new versions of packages I've needed, but if the cygwin install is more than a year old then nothing will work unless I throw it all away and get the latest version of everything. Not that something basic like grep would have that problem, but it's a pain to need version of X+1 of something and then put everything on hold while cygwin reinstalls.

Another problem I've noticed is that installing packages in cygwin requires the ability to run cygwin install scripts, which means you have to use their setup utility to run everything and track down dependencies. With MinGW you just unzip the new package into your current install. Using the setup utility means needing network access for it to get all the packages it needs; that sounds like a no-brainer, until you have to install cygwin on a machine with no or restricted network access. What can you do then, put a whole cygwin mirror on a DVD?
On the other hand, I've found it much easier to set up a development environment with Cygwin (though to be honest I now tend to run Fedora as a VirtualBox guest). I don't remember having to reinstall everything, though the cygwin dlls do change from time-to-time.

Chris
Old 2010-09-22, 15:03   #11
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post

But that is ok. The original need has been filled.