mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Science & Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-11-08, 14:49   #12
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

2·3·17·73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Even by the standards of the RDS School of Diplomacy, this post
takes the biscuit

David
Huh? What is it with you people? It is NOT discourteous IN THE LEAST
to tell someone that they lack the math background needed to study
physics (beyond the secondary school level).

I made no judgment about the person's character. I gave no insult.
I simply said that he lacks the math to study relativity and
I gave some elementary examples of the kinds of math that one needs to
know.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 14:49   #13
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Are you referring to two conflicting formulae? If so, quote them.

BTW are you aware that simultanaity is not an absolute feature
of events in different places?

David

PS the CAPS or SHIFT key is on the left.
basically I don't know which one is accurate as i don't see the formula from one in the other so i don't know which is better for me to start at I stopped taking physics on teacher suggestion because i kept on losing my homework/ forgetting to do it. we got as far as d=vit + .5*a*t^2 but I'm willing to learn more.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 15:48   #14
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

647410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Huh? What is it with you people? It is NOT discourteous IN THE LEAST
to tell someone that they lack the math background needed to study
physics (beyond the secondary school level).

I made no judgment about the person's character. I gave no insult.
I simply said that he lacks the math to study relativity and
I gave some elementary examples of the kinds of math that one needs to
know.
I think Einstein needed a tip off about Riemann before he
fully formulated and published GR.
The point is that the "notion" of relativity is a strong incentive
to study the maths you cited.

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 15:51   #15
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

647410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I stopped taking physics on teacher suggestion because i kept on losing my homework/ forgetting to do it.
You should have said "the dog ate it".
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 16:05   #16
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
You should have said "the dog ate it".
not sure if i had a dog at the time and cats don't eat homework they eat hair leading to trichobezoars lol.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 16:38   #17
Chris Card
 
Chris Card's Avatar
 
Aug 2004

3·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
basically I don't know which one is accurate as i don't see the formula from one in the other so i don't know which is better for me to start at I stopped taking physics on teacher suggestion because i kept on losing my homework/ forgetting to do it. we got as far as d=vit + .5*a*t^2 but I'm willing to learn more.
This book: http://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Begin.../dp/0679725105
is a good place to start, but Bob S. is correct that you need a lot of mathematical background to really understand relativity, especially general relativity.

Chris
Chris Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 16:52   #18
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
This book: http://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Begin.../dp/0679725105
is a good place to start, but Bob S. is correct that you need a lot of mathematical background to really understand relativity, especially general relativity.

Chris
I don't own credit cards and strapped for cash I just don't think some days when i post here and as you all know I can use google just don't know the best sources lol.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 17:19   #19
Chris Card
 
Chris Card's Avatar
 
Aug 2004

3·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I don't own credit cards and strapped for cash I just don't think some days when i post here and as you all know I can use google just don't know the best sources lol.
You could always try your local library.

Chris
Chris Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 17:21   #20
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20C016 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
You could always try your local library.

Chris
can you give me a good online source since nobody answered which is accurate ?
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 17:31   #21
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

2·3·17·73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
I think Einstein needed a tip off about Riemann before he
fully formulated and published GR.
Specifically, Einstein needed to learn about metric curvature tensors
(e.g. the Ricci tensor to name one) on Riemann surfaces. This is most
definitely NOT an elementary topic.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 17:37   #22
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Specifically, Einstein needed to learn about metric curvature tensors
(e.g. the Ricci tensor to name one) on Riemann surfaces. This is most
definitely NOT an elementary topic.
okay I want a site on the basics i can try and look up from there.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to refresh math from basics... where to start ? awholenumber Math 9 2017-05-31 13:15
Relativity davieddy Science & Technology 15 2013-06-26 19:30
SNFS basics (ggnfs + factLat) CRGreathouse Factoring 4 2009-05-25 08:05
Experimental confirmation of General Relativity davieddy Science & Technology 17 2007-08-14 21:29
As Math Scores Lag, a New Push for the Basics -- New York Times ewmayer Soap Box 14 2006-11-17 09:40

All times are UTC. The time now is 04:10.

Sat Jul 4 04:10:16 UTC 2020 up 101 days, 1:43, 1 user, load averages: 1.49, 1.60, 1.45

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.