mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2008-08-10, 18:40   #1
nuggetprime

Mar 2007
Austria

2×151 Posts
Default Looking for ECPP software

Don't know if this is the right forum,but I'm looking for an opensource ECPP implementation. As you know, Morain's ECPP is properitary, and Primo is also properitary and for Windows only.

Regards,
nugget
nuggetprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 20:19   #2
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×2,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetprime View Post
Don't know if this is the right forum,but I'm looking for an opensource ECPP implementation. As you know, Morain's ECPP is properitary, and Primo is also properitary and for Windows only.

Regards,
nugget
I'm not aware of any, but I agree that it would be nice if there were an open source implementation of ECPP.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 21:24   #3
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3×1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I'm not aware of any, but I agree that it would be nice if there were an open source implementation of ECPP.
Apparently Primo started off as sharware (and open source?) but the author had to change that because he indavertently infringed on a company's US patents. See here for more details.

Unfortunately, building elliptic curve code requires traversing a more-dangerous-than-usual intellectual property minefield.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 00:55   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×2,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
Apparently Primo started off as sharware (and open source?) but the author had to change that because he indavertently infringed on a company's US patents. See here for more details.

Unfortunately, building elliptic curve code requires traversing a more-dangerous-than-usual intellectual property minefield.
Ah yes, I had forgotten about that, although I don't recall it being open source.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 04:19   #5
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

22·32·5·13 Posts

I think Primo is no longer restricted. The only reference I could find is this one:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/p.../message/18405
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 10:00   #6
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

3·769 Posts

Is the ECPP algorithm patented or something?
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 10:30   #7
nuggetprime

Mar 2007
Austria

12E16 Posts

Aren't mp3-audio,mpeg-video and so also patented?
Why then there exists some open source software like lame or ffmpeg doing the job?

--nugget
nuggetprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 11:05   #8
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetprime View Post

Regards,
nugget

Why not write your own? It isn't that difficult. ECPP is a lot easier than
APR-CL (aka cyclotomy tests).
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 11:06   #9
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1C4016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post

If it is for research purposes, the patents do not apply.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 11:22   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

22×32×281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Now that is interesting. That would appear to be another difference between US patent law and that of (at least some of) the rest of the world. The well-known differences are, of course, the "first to file" and "first to invent" and the period for which a patent may still be applied after disclosure of the invention.

In the UK and, I believe, the rest of Europe building a patented invention without license from the patent holder is an offense regardless of intended purpose. At least, that's what I seem to remember MSFT's IP lawyers telling me.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 16:46   #11
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

1101101000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Are you sure? I would have thought that any public work incorporating a patented idea, whether for money or not, would be a violation of the terms of the patent. In the case of (the library used by) Primo, the author apparently came up with a cheap elliptic curve doubling technique that a US company had already patented, and had to stop (rightly or wrongly) in the face of threatened legal action. Distributing the work is what seems to cause trouble.

With the DMCA it's even murkier; there's an exception in the law that allows researchers to break commercial copyright protection schemes, but the exception doesn't let researchers publish their results.

My understanding of the elliptic curve business is that there are a lot of different patents, for different types of curves, curve arithmetic, and curve applications like crypto schemes

PS: further reading on ECC patents

Last fiddled with by jasonp on 2008-08-26 at 17:01
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote