Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Closed Thread

Old 2005-11-19, 00:42   #1
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts
Default Feature Request

For work on lmh and other projects could you add a setting were writeing to results will be done once a cache file has reached a curtain size so that insted of constantly writeing to the hard disk it will hold data in memory.
Old 2005-11-19, 02:10   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

231558 Posts

Wow - that sentence (and I use the term very loosely) is worthy of some kind of bad-spell-check poetry award.

Guess I'd better translate this into Moovian, as well:

begin{moovian}
w00t - that cent tense (and eye yews the term very lose lea) is were thee of sum kind of bald-spill-chick paltry a word?
end{moovian}
Old 2005-11-19, 13:53   #3
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

23·3·52 Posts

Interesting study Ewmayer. Have you noted that your posts of late have a marked sarcastic component? Some of them could even be called caustic. Life is frustrating, but we get more from it if we have an upbeat attitude. We are better company to others. We also reap what we sow.

Let me ask this. In spite of the poor grammar, is there a benefit to the underlying suggestion above? One of the things I found irritating about Prime95 was its habit of writing to the disk too often. Fortunately, there was a setting that reduced it to a minor background nuisance. I use a laptop so disk writes are a major factor in power use.

Fusion

Last fiddled with by Fusion_power on 2005-11-19 at 13:55
Old 2005-11-19, 16:26   #4
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

I genuinely think this is one of Moo's best attempts at writing so far. And he did use a full stop at the end.

If you read through it in order it does actually parse quite easily.

Some other examples of his writing convey ideas but however punctuated would not parse correctly.

So, we should be thankful.

It was also concise in that he got all his request into ONE sentence.

Moo you could throw in a comma or too to help us read.

Also please note the word "writing" has no E in it. "Certain" is not the same as the things you hang on your windows, and the grammatical purists will suggest that if you ask a question you should end it with ?

Nonetheless it was crystal clear to me what you were requesting.

Last fiddled with by Peter Nelson on 2005-11-19 at 16:28
Old 2005-11-19, 16:44   #5
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

Insecurity is shown though ones actions, pointing out another’s mistakes is a way to make ones self fell secure.
Old 2005-11-19, 17:09   #6
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Cool Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
Insecurity is shown though ones actions, pointing out another’s mistakes is a way to make ones self fell secure.
I agree with you for most of the posts I read and Sigmund Freud says so and also Karl Yung (spot the missspelling?) or the hyphen missing?
A comma makes a difference in Bible reading and sometimes a 'full stop'. But does the same apply to a technial question?. And if you are happy Peter I've also added a full stop at the end!!!
moo 'Go on and faith will come to you.' J d' Alembert
Mally
Old 2005-11-19, 18:49   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2×5,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
Perhaps.

However, communication is a process that happens between two parties.

If you wish to be understood, I suggest that you should put some effort into making yourself understandable.

If you do not wish to be understood, why did you post?

Paul
Old 2005-11-19, 19:05   #8
JHagerson

May 2005
Naperville, IL, USA

22·72 Posts

(Insert elided "bad quality of US public education" rant here.)
An escapee from the US public education system.
Old 2005-11-19, 19:26   #9
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

24·5·29 Posts

There's no need to pick on someone just because he may be using bad English. English might not be his first language after all.
Old 2005-11-19, 20:01   #10
Numbers

Jun 2005
Near Beetlegeuse

22×97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
For work on lmh and other projects could you add a setting were writeing to results will be done once a cache file has reached a curtain size so that insted of constantly writeing to the hard disk it will hold data in memory.
To actually try and answer the question: If you click on Options, Preferences, the third item on the list is Minutes Between Disk-writes.

I believe that you can (within reason) change that to anything you want.

Does that answer your question?
Old 2005-11-19, 20:18   #11
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

237268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64
There's no need to pick on someone just because he may be using bad English. English might not be his first language after all.
We are not picking on him just because of his bad English.

He has already demonstrated in this forum that he is entirely capable of producing good quality, highly understandable English.

If we are picking on him at all, it's because he seems to be too lazy to produce comprehensible text more of the time.

Paul
Closed Thread