mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data > Marin's Mersenne-aries

Closed Thread

Old 2019-03-06, 21:40   #1
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

1011011010112 Posts
Default processed dc and tc posts

You may wish to not delete claims immediately lest they not be completed. It happens from time to time.
Old 2019-03-07, 14:56   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

13×769 Posts
Default processed dc and tc posts

a collection thread for the posted cleared from the DC and TC thread.
Old 2019-05-07, 10:18   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

24×13×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
You are a supermod. Next time you can put it on the list yourself. GP2 and ATH have been editing the lists too.
Which is a bit frown about, in this part of the lake... I would not recommend that all of us who, due to benevolence of the admin, appeared like the mushrooms after the rain, we start now modifying the assignment lists and so on. For many projects we have no much idea what the guyz and galz are doing there... Just my two pence... Job of the mod is to be arbiter, intervene if some sheep happens, but let the projects managers do their job... they know better what to do and what is requested, etc...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-05-07 at 10:19
Old 2019-05-07, 16:10   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

13×769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Which is a bit frown about, in this part of the lake... I would not recommend that all of us who, due to benevolence of the admin, appeared like the mushrooms after the rain, we start now modifying the assignment lists and so on.
Sure, but I think that I am ok with Luigi doing it. George, Alex, and some others I would have no problem with.

You, on other hand, must beg for assignments and pay a steep fee.
Old 2019-05-09, 13:45   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

24·13·47 Posts

Quote:
You, on other hand, must beg for assignments and pay a steep fee.
Haha, ok, ok, you won't see me here, at least, no until this ends (ETA ~20 days, over 90% done, LL+DC in parallel).
Old 2019-05-17, 15:04   #6
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

132248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
You should register them in Primenet as well, everyone might not read this thread.
I would if I could. I checked they are not assigned to anyone else, via exponent details, individually, then tried to manually reserve them, individually, and got error messages.

Edit: these are being run in CUDALucas on two fast gpus. Should be done in a few days. The method I described above usually works with assignments for gpus. The error message that occurs for manual checkout of these is:
Code:
Error code: 40

Error text: No assignment available meeting CPU, program code and work preference requirements
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dc reserve attempt.png
Views:	108
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	20358  

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-05-17 at 15:56
Old 2019-05-17, 15:23   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

13·769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
You should register them in Primenet as well, everyone might not read this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
I would if I could. I checked they are not assigned to anyone else, via exponent details, individually, then tried to manually reserve them, individually, and got error messages.
From the first post in this thread.
Quote:
The easy way to get some assignments (with Prime95):
  • Grab the lines of the exponents that you will do.
  • Stop Prime95.
  • Edit your worktodo.txt, inserting the new lines, save it, and close the editor.
  • Restart Prime95
  • Go to the menu Advanced-> Manual Communication
  • Make sure "Contact PrimeNet server now" and "Send new expected completion dates to server" are checked. Hit OK
  • After Prime95 is done communicating, look and see if any of the new exponents don't have an Assignment ID (because they were already assigned.) If they don't, stop Prime95, reopen the worktodo.txt, remove those lines, save, then restart Prime95
That should do it. mprime probably has a similar technique.
Old 2019-05-17, 16:41   #8
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

169416 Posts

Quote:
From the first post in this thread.

That should do it.
It does indeed. Although for gpu usage, and my crappy slow ISP, there are additional steps:
repeat the manual communication in prime95 as needed until communication completes successfully instead of giving CURL library errors;
stop prime95, cut the doublecheck assignments with new AIDs from the worktodo.txt of the prime95 instance used to reserve them, restart prime95;
stop the CUDALucas session, paste the doublecheck assignments with newly issued AIDs into the gpu worktodo.txt, and restart the CUDALucas session;
update local assignment tracking log.

Effective, though a bit tedious compared to my usual manual checkout method when it works.
I wonder if primenet will get confused by these 4 assignments completing and being reported manually in a few days, after being reserved on an old i3 laptop that could not finish one of the assignments in 3 months, and having been removed from the worktodo.txt of the regularly reporting i3 system.
Old 2019-05-23, 15:14   #9
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·5·172 Posts
Default methods for gpus

Quote:
The easy way to get some assignments (with Prime95):
  • Stop Prime95.
  • Edit your worktodo.txt, inserting the new lines, save it, and close the editor.
  • Restart Prime95
  • Go to the menu Advanced-> Manual Communication
  • Make sure "Contact PrimeNet server now" and "Send new expected completion dates to server" are checked. Hit OK
  • After Prime95 is done communicating, look and see if any of the new exponents don't have an Assignment ID (because they were already assigned.) If they don't, stop Prime95, reopen the worktodo.txt, remove those lines, save, then restart Prime95
If someone can post tips for the GPU's that would help.
The following assumes gpu application(s) CUDALucas etc. are already running and are not near completion of the current work item(s). Add gpu application stops and starts as appropriate if that assumption is not valid.
  • Post which DC or TC candidates you're taking.
  • Edit your gpu(s)' worktodo.txt, inserting the new lines, save it, and close the editor.
continue, with either Method 1:
  • Go to https://www.mersenne.org/manual_assignment/
  • Set preferred work type to Double check ll tests
  • set Optional exponent range fields to one less, and one more than the exponent in the first worktodo entry added that does not yet have an AID
  • click Get Assignments
  • If it succeeds, copy the assignment with AID, and overwrite the corresponding gpu worktodo.txt entry that had no AID, with it, and save.
  • If it fails, likely it is with error 40, no assignment available. Use a prime95 session as uncwilly described, to get the assignment, then copy that to the gpu worktodo.txt, again, overwriting the no-AID version entry.
  • Repeat previous steps of method 1 for each DC or TC. Depending on how many you're doing, it can get tedious.
or continue with Method 2:
  • reserve as described by uncwilly in a prime95 session.
  • Copy the new assignments with AIDs from the prime95 worktodo file to the gpu(s) worktodo file(s), and save, then close the gpu worktodo file(s).
  • Move the new assignments in the prime95 worktodo file, to the end of the prime95 worktodo.txt file behind some ongoing lengthy work intended for the cpu, save the prime95 worktdo file, stop and restart prime95, and check with Test, Status, that the assignments order in effect on the cpu is as intended.
For either method, wrapup:
  • If you're unable to get a reservation for any exponent you posted you were taking, by either method, edit your initial post to exclude it. If the edit period already expired, post which you were unable to reserve in a new message.
Optionally: if any gpu assignment is about to expire, because manual extension does not work, try
  • Open the prime95 worktodo file, temporarily put its worktodo entry at the front of the prime95 work list, save prime95 worktodo file, stop and restart prime95 computation to run at least 0.1% of completion.
  • Go to the prime95 menu Advanced-> Manual Communication
  • Make sure "Contact PrimeNet server now" and "Send new expected completion dates to server" are checked. Click OK, and wait for prime95 to finish talking with the primenet server
  • Stop prime95, move the extended assignment to the end of the prime95 worktodo file, save and close prime95 worktodo file, restart prime95, check with Test, Status.
  • After the gpu assignment completes, remove the corresponding assignment entry from the prime95 worktodo file, save and close the prime95 worktodo file, stop computation and resume in prime95, delete the prime95 save file and backup files for the few dozen iterations performed on the cpu for the completed gpu assignment.
A variant of this extension method seemed to work, in which I commented out the prime95 assignment copy and deleted the exponent's save file and bu files, on an exponent I had that was going to expire yesterday. It gained 10 weeks in the assignments report. But I see today that it is marked expired for me and assigned to someone else. Its chance of working to maintain the extension may be better if it remains in the prime95 instance's worktodo as an active entry that will be included in periodic automatic reporting of progress. By putting it at the end of the work list, behind a lengthy DC I'm running on the prime95 instance, it should report status periodically from there, and yet not use up cpu cycles partially duplicating gpu work.

A side effect of using this method for extension is it changes the assignment from manual to the prime95 instance used to extend it. At least that is what the assignments page shows.

Because this assignment or extension method might confuse Primenet about what's happening on the prime95 instance, and any expirations may count against that instance/system in getting new assignments, consider using an old slow cpu for making these reservations or extensions, where it will make little difference regarding assignment of future work via primenet.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-06-10 at 13:48 Reason: done at the request of the op
Old 2019-05-30, 08:54   #10
GP2

Sep 2003

5×11×47 Posts

Quote:
GP2 can you handle the honours of posting the worktodo lines? I have no clue about them.
Lines suitable for doing a double-check with mprime would be:
Code:
PRP=1,2,87667499,-1,76,0,3,4
PRP=1,2,87595463,-1,76,0,3,4
I assume gpuOwL can understand the same format.
Old 2019-06-10, 12:44   #11
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·5·172 Posts
Default methods for gpus (amended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
The following assumes gpu application(s) CUDALucas etc. are already running and are not near completion of the current work item(s). Add gpu application stops and starts as appropriate if that assumption is not valid.
  • Post which DC or TC candidates you're taking.
  • Edit your gpu(s)' worktodo.txt, inserting the new lines, save it, and close the editor.
continue, with either Method 1:
  • Go to https://www.mersenne.org/manual_assignment/
  • Set preferred work type to Double check ll tests
  • set Optional exponent range fields to one less, and one more than the exponent in the first worktodo entry added that does not yet have an AID
  • click Get Assignments
  • If it succeeds, copy the assignment with AID, and overwrite the corresponding gpu worktodo.txt entry that had no AID, with it, and save.
  • If it fails, likely it is with error 40, no assignment available. Use a prime95 session as uncwilly described, to get the assignment, then copy that to the gpu worktodo.txt, again, overwriting the no-AID version entry.
  • Repeat previous steps of method 1 for each DC or TC. Depending on how many you're doing, it can get tedious.
or continue with Method 2:
  • reserve as described by uncwilly in a prime95 session.
  • Copy the new assignments with AIDs from the prime95 worktodo file to the gpu(s) worktodo file(s), and save, then close the gpu worktodo file(s).
  • Move the new assignments in the prime95 worktodo file, to the end of the prime95 worktodo.txt file behind some ongoing lengthy work intended for the cpu, save the prime95 worktdo file, stop and restart prime95, and check with Test, Status, that the assignments order in effect on the cpu is as intended.
For either method, wrapup:
  • If you're unable to get a reservation for any exponent you posted you were taking, by either method, edit your initial post to exclude it. If the edit period already expired, post which you were unable to reserve in a new message.
Optionally: if any gpu assignment is about to expire, because manual extension does not work, try
  • Open the prime95 worktodo file, temporarily put its worktodo entry at the front of the prime95 work list, save prime95 worktodo file, stop and restart prime95 computation to run a couple dozen iterations,
  • Go to the prime95 menu Advanced-> Manual Communication
  • Make sure "Contact PrimeNet server now" and "Send new expected completion dates to server" are checked. Click OK, and wait for prime95 to finish talking with the primenet server
  • Stop prime95, move the extended assignment to the end of the prime95 worktodo file, save and close prime95 worktodo file, restart prime95, check with Test, Status.
  • After the gpu assignment completes, remove the corresponding assignment entry from the prime95 worktodo file, save and close the prime95 worktodo file, stop computation and resume in prime95, delete the prime95 save file and backup files for the few dozen iterations performed on the cpu for the completed gpu assignment.
A variant of this extension method seemed to work, in which I commented out the prime95 assignment copy and deleted the exponent's save file and bu files, on an exponent I had that was going to expire yesterday. It gained 10 weeks in the assignments report. But I see today that it is marked expired for me and assigned to someone else. Its chance of working to maintain the extension may be better if it remains in the prime95 instance's worktodo as an active entry that will be included in periodic automatic reporting of progress. By putting it at the end of the work list, behind a lengthy DC I'm running on the prime95 instance, it should report status periodically from there, and yet not use up cpu cycles partially duplicating gpu work.

A side effect of using this method for extension is it changes the assignment from manual to the prime95 instance used to extend it. At least that is what the assignments page shows.

Because this assignment or extension method might confuse Primenet about what's happening on the prime95 instance, and any expirations may count against that instance/system in getting new assignments, consider using an old slow cpu for making these reservations or extensions, where it will make little difference regarding assignment of future work via primenet.
Substitute "at least 0.1% of completion" in place of the phrase highlighted in red.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2019-06-10 at 12:47
Closed Thread