mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Operation Billion Digits

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-03-26, 17:14   #34
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

235810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
Now a question: I have a batch version of this program, and a list of about 3300 prime exponents starting from 3321928241,1,50 and ending with 3321999991,1,50 to feed it.
I'm attracted by the whimsical nature of starting a project that there is no hope of finishing. But not sufficiently attracted to put serious computing power towards it. I envision using an old Pentium-Pro 180 to gradually advance a single exponent. If there is no objection, I'll work on 3321928219.

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 17:18   #35
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

4,751 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp
I'm attracted by the whimsical nature of starting a project that there is no hope of finishing. But not sufficiently attracted to put serious computing power towards it. I envision using an old Pentium-Pro 180 to gradually advance a single exponent. If there is no objection, I'll work on 3321928219.

William
That's OK for me.

Then I will co-moderate LMH > 79,2 Project, eventually giving a small boost to the search

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 12:43   #36
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

2×32×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
I say HERE it is.
How do I set this up to work on "my" number? Does it use worktodo.ini?

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 16:47   #37
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

4,751 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp
How do I set this up to work on "my" number? Does it use worktodo.ini?

William
No it doesn't.

When you run ./factor3_1 it asks for the exponent you want to run, the start and the stop bit. If you stop the program then restart it with the -r parameter, and it will reload its status.txt file.

Code:
$ ./factor3_1

Please enter the exponent to be factored: 2^3321928219

Now enter start bit depth   : 1
Finally enter end bit depth : 67

Sieving from 2^2 up to 2^67...
HTH...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 17:18   #38
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

2×32×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
When you run ./factor3_1 it asks for the exponent you want to run
I tried "factor3_1 /?" and "factor3_1 3321928219" but I hadn't tried just plain "factor3_1". Thanks.

William
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 18:54   #39
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

4,751 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp
I tried "factor3_1 /?" and "factor3_1 3321928219" but I hadn't tried just plain "factor3_1". Thanks.

William
My fault... I only tested -r and -h switches

Glad it now works.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 16:32   #40
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

2·32·131 Posts
Default

I left factor3_1 running while I was away, and the computer was rebooted in my absence. I used the resume flag to restart the process, and it appears to be continuing from where it was shutdown. But can I be sure it didn't find any factors while I was away? Or do I need to repeat the search?
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 17:28   #41
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

4,751 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp
I left factor3_1 running while I was away, and the computer was rebooted in my absence. I used the resume flag to restart the process, and it appears to be continuing from where it was shutdown. But can I be sure it didn't find any factors while I was away? Or do I need to repeat the search?
You can be sure.

Every time the program finds a factor, it writes a line on the screen AND on result.txt file. You only have to check out that file to be sure...

Happy hunting!

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 18:37   #42
Thomas11
 
Thomas11's Avatar
 
Feb 2003

35558 Posts
Default

Hi Luigi,

I compiled your factor3_1.c under Linux but I always get a segmentation fault when I try to start it. It asks for the exponent, the starting and ending bit, but then it stops with that segmentation fault.
I haven't looked very much into the internals of your code. May be some of the GMP-arrays are too small or some pointers are computed wrong. Under some circumstances this could cause problems under Windows too...

Has anyone else tested your program under Linux and/or other Unix-like operating systems?

-- Thomas
Thomas11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-31, 18:56   #43
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

4,751 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas11
Hi Luigi,

I compiled your factor3_1.c under Linux but I always get a segmentation fault when I try to start it. It asks for the exponent, the starting and ending bit, but then it stops with that segmentation fault.
I haven't looked very much into the internals of your code. May be some of the GMP-arrays are too small or some pointers are computed wrong. Under some circumstances this could cause problems under Windows too...

Has anyone else tested your program under Linux and/or other Unix-like operating systems?

-- Thomas
I did :-)))

Factor3_1.c has been successfully compiled under Linux Mandrake 9.2, with GMP 4.1.2 and a Xeon PIII @ 500 MHz. I noticed no malfunctioning at all.

I myself ran across that "segmentation fault" problem. In my case was a matter of libraries' path. Anyway, I will re-check my source code and re-compile to see what happened, then I will send here a (hopefully working) gzipped copy tomorrow as soon as I get to my office.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-01, 01:54   #44
ColdFury
 
ColdFury's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

1010000002 Posts
Default

GMP allocates space for the numbers on the stack, instead of the heap. If you make a number that's too large, you'll run out of stack space and get a segfault.

They do this for speed. If you want numbers to be allocated from the heap, you have to specify it when you compile the library.
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "one billion minus 999,994,000" digits prime number a1call Miscellaneous Math 179 2015-11-12 14:59
Ten Billion Digits Mersenne Numbers aketilander Operation Billion Digits 13 2013-02-03 21:15
Operation Megabit Twin Oddball Twin Prime Search 370 2013-01-03 21:26
modulo operation for polynomials? smslca Math 3 2011-04-18 17:18
question range 1 billion to 2 billion? Unregistered Information & Answers 7 2010-08-12 06:25

All times are UTC. The time now is 05:57.

Wed Apr 1 05:57:43 UTC 2020 up 7 days, 3:30, 0 users, load averages: 1.26, 1.32, 1.27

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.