mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Operation Billion Digits

Old 2015-10-19, 12:59   #34
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

163158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
But I do believe that one could make the argument that calculus is just as beautiful, and definitely at least as important, as "to be or not to be".)
Certainly basic number theory is....

I am not so sure that I would call epsilon-delta proofs 'beautiful'.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 15:52   #35
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Thanks! That gives us a lot to think about!
If I may give you a bit more to think about...

"Being unusually smart" and "Having a good work ethic" are often orthogonal.

Those who are smart but don't work hard, and those who work hard but aren't terribly smart, tend to do less well than those who are both smart and work hard.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 16:05   #36
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

882410 Posts

Quote:
We have a contractor and his crew renovating one of our rental units. I remarked to him the other day about an issue with the siding on the West side of the house. He asked me which side was West. As he was standing outside and it was about 20 minutes before sunset, I told him that it was the side of the house facing the setting sun. His reply? "What does the sun have to do with it?"
Been there; done that.

Here in Bim cardinal coordinates are almost completely unknown. Instead directions are "OK, you go up to town" (even though you're going south, and down a hill). "Then you turn left at the place where there used to be a cow."

I'm not joking.

Quote:
(For the record, I am very much thankful for the opportunities that I had to study the arts, and I cannot say at all that I totally disliked those courses. But I do believe that one could make the argument that calculus is just as beautiful, and definitely at least as important, as "to be or not to be".)
To share, I almost dropped out of high school because I simply couldn't spell correctly (I still can't; I'm dyslexic).

But, I had a wonderful English teacher in high school, a Mr. Smith, who told me to "Ignore the spelling; just write.

Mr. Smith changed my life.
Old 2015-10-20, 01:42   #37
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

399410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Thanks! That gives us a lot to think about!
Note that the GED-and-JC at 16 plan conflicts with the "normal social development" plan. I was similar to your child also, and have been a teacher for 15+ years; I believe that so long as the HS is reasonably academically strong (AP course offerings, or IB, or a large number of honors students who are respected for their coursework by their peers), the path away from disengagement is to challenge and stimulate the kid outside the classroom rather than exit HS as quickly as possible. Academic Decathlon, math olympiad/competitions, a science club, etc are often available to the HS kids, sometimes within a gifted program. That ACT score might qualify him to do one of the summer university experiences; I believe those sorts of things *helps* social development more than a community college would.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-21, 00:39   #38
jwaltos

Apr 2012

2×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
That ACT score might qualify him to ....
It's also about motivation and challenges as well as adversity and failure. Big fish small pond mentality is one aspect to consider.
If he meets whatever intellectual/athletic challenges successfully there will be suitors with presents. When you're gifted, you know you're gifted and you really don't need to prove it unless required. Maturity and wisdom will happen in due course. There are those of equivalent aptitudes who must fend for themselves in less than nurturing environments and adapt to their circumstances. As long as he realizes he's already fortunate, that's a good start.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2015-10-21 at 00:49 Reason: Thread has veered into an off-topic singularity.
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-21, 01:01   #39
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100010011110002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
If he meets whatever intellectual/athletic challenges successfully there will be suitors with presents. When you're gifted, you know you're gifted and you really don't need to prove it unless required.
If I may, one of the most important things that happened to me when I was young was when I was asked to teach to my fellow students, by my teachers, 6502 assembly.

Almost (but not all) fellow students didn't understand.

I was fourteen; and /some/ students understood. And resonated. It was wondefull!!!
Old 2015-10-21, 02:15   #40
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

83·101 Posts
Default Change title required...

In spite of the fact that the last posts have nothing to do with "testing non-mersenne numbers for primality", this thread contains very good material, which is very relevant to my interests... (where is that icon???)

Found the icon.

and found a better one... hehe

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2015-10-21 at 02:17
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote