mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-12-24, 11:25   #1
MLoerke
 
Dec 2018

3 Posts
Default Which Hardware should I buy ?

Hello everybody
I want to use the first time prime95. For this I would like to buy a PC which is only used for it. It's just for fun.
I have a few questions:

1)
Did I understand correctly that only the CPU is important for the performance? Or which factors are still important?

2)
Are the iters / sec the right indicator to compare the performance?

3) I just wanted to get a motherboard + CPU and power supply + RAM, that should be enough, right?

In the forum I have seen that the Intel I7-9800X @ 3.6 Ghz deliver a very good performance for a normal price. In Germany 640,00 €. Or would you recommend another CPU?

I would like to say again that this is just for fun, the PC should go through 24 hours and cost under 1000 ¬.

Thank you in advance for your help
MLoerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 11:44   #2
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLoerke View Post

3) I just wanted to get a motherboard + CPU and power supply + RAM, that should be enough, right?
You'll need storage (HDD or SDD / USB3 or SATA3) plus a wire with an on/off switch.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 12:24   #3
MLoerke
 
Dec 2018

3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
You'll need storage (HDD or SDD / USB3 or SATA3) plus a wire with an on/off switch.


okay, I was wrong. That I need an HDD and RAM is of course clear :) I need a working PC :)
Are there any things that influence the performance? Is RAM important for performance ? IS 8 GB enough ? Is the grafic card importsnt for the performance?

thank you
MLoerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 12:41   #4
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2×1,723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLoerke View Post
okay, I was wrong. That I need an HDD and RAM is of course clear :) I need a working PC :)
Are there any things that influence the performance? Is RAM important for performance ? IS 8 GB enough ? Is the grafic card importsnt for the performance?

thank you
RAM: "dual rank" apparently is best.

8GB is fine, but for P-1 factoring there is a gain for having more.

A super-duper graphics card is a bonus for certain tasks such a trial factoring Merennes, but beyond a 1000 bucks budget.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-12-24 at 12:42
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 12:49   #5
MLoerke
 
Dec 2018

3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
RAM: "dual rank" apparently is best.

8GB is fine, but for P-1 factoring there is a gain for having more.

A super-duper graphics card is a bonus for certain tasks such a trial factoring Merennes, but beyond a 1000 bucks budget.


Thank you for your answers. Then I will install 2x 16GB of RAM.

For the performance it does not matter which motherboard I take or?
MLoerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 12:53   #6
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

2·1,723 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLoerke View Post
Thank you for your answers. Then I will install 2x 16GB of RAM.

For the performance it does not matter which motherboard I take or?
As long as it is the better of chipsets. Someone here will tell you what chipset is best for a I7-9800X.

Don't confuse "channel" with "rank". Sure your board may well be set up for quad channel -- but using dual ranked will give you an appreciable speed up. So definitely use 4 RAM sticks and dual ranked if you can.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2018-12-24 at 13:00
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 13:59   #7
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

3·23·43 Posts
Default

9800X supports Quad channel RAM which is the most important speed up. Make sure you get 4 of the same RAM modules, so 4x8 Gb is much better than 2x16, or even 4x4 would be preferable if 4x8 is too expensive. That is a significant speedup over dual channel (dual rank is a property of the RAM module itself).
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 19:40   #8
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

23·359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLoerke View Post
Or would you recommend another CPU?
Yes. The i3-8100 paired with the cheapest motherboard and two sticks of DDR-2400 will give you most throughput per money spent, and will be a well balanced system.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 20:24   #9
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×43×83 Posts
Default

Ram speed is very important. Buy at least DDR4-3200. Get DDR4-3600 if it isn't much more expensive. My SkylakeX system has 4 sticks of 4GB DDR4-3600.

Motherboard is not relevant. Graphics cards are unimportant any cheap one will do.

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2018-12-24 at 20:26
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 21:00   #10
masser
 
masser's Avatar
 
Jul 2003
wear a mask

101101001002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Ram speed is very important. Buy at least DDR4-3200. Get DDR4-3600 if it isn't much more expensive. My SkylakeX system has 4 sticks of 4GB DDR4-3600.

Motherboard is not relevant. Graphics cards are unimportant any cheap one will do.
Do most motherboards have the equivalent of "non-Z overclock" to make use of the faster ram? I would worry about buying the correct mobo to take advantage of the faster ram, but maybe I'm overly cautious?
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-25, 10:09   #11
VictordeHolland
 
VictordeHolland's Avatar
 
"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

2×587 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
Do most motherboards have the equivalent of "non-Z overclock" to make use of the faster ram? I would worry about buying the correct mobo to take advantage of the faster ram, but maybe I'm overly cautious?
Most high-end motherboards have support for XMP memory profiles. And Skylake-X (chipset X299) is about as high-end as it gets in consumer hardware.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardware robert44444uk Prime Gap Searches 45 2018-03-12 23:59
NAS hardware VictordeHolland Hardware 5 2015-03-05 23:37
Hardware error Citrix Prime Sierpinski Project 12 2006-06-07 09:40
Hardware Of the Week #1 moo Hardware 4 2005-10-19 15:58
specialized hardware tjdziuba Hardware 1 2004-06-21 17:42

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:24.

Mon Oct 26 00:24:07 UTC 2020 up 45 days, 21:35, 0 users, load averages: 1.81, 1.69, 1.67

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.