Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-07-29, 20:37   #3906
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

120E16 Posts
Default The importance of scale

How to survive a fall or a predator https://www.wired.com/story/how-outrun-dinosaur/
(Things I hope to not need to know)
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-01, 23:29   #3907
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·59·83 Posts

Man who lost penis to blood infection has new one built on his arm | NY Post

A British man whose penis fell off due to a severe blood infection had a new one built – on his arm, where he even got an extra 2 inches, according to a report.

Best reader comment: "this gives new meaning to 'wearing your hard on your sleeve'."

Dude's p0rnstar name will be "Rambo", because he's so well-armed.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-04, 18:43   #3908
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·2,311 Posts

Fire and series of explosions in Beirut port sent many to nearby hospital, which had been destroyed also. https://www.theblaze.com/news/breaki...emains-unclear
Old 2020-08-04, 20:16   #3909
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

32×37 Posts

A video of the second (much larger explosion):
http://mobile.twitter.com/borzou/sta...75854767513600
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-04, 20:34   #3910
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×3×31×47 Posts

One of those buildings vanishes.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-04, 22:20   #3911
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·2,311 Posts

Damage radius several miles; people knocked off their feet at more than half a kilometer. Fatality count has reached 60 and injuries in the thousands. Initially there was a fireworks factory fire, and the big blast is being attributed to a subsequent detonation of a shipload of ammonium or sodium nitrate. Some people are claiming on Twitter they think it was a nuclear explosion. But the video does not support that. There are multiple flashes of small fireworks explosions during daylight as the fire continues, then the large detonation. and largely spherical shock wave. The red brown cloud is the product of of the fireworks fire, before the big blast. Probably a lot of firefighters killed. Beirut has been through so much, for so long.

Seems likely to be added to this list that's already too long. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larges...ear_explosions

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-08-04 at 22:56
Old 2020-08-04, 22:56   #3912
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

2×263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Damage radius several miles; people knocked off their feet at more than half a kilometer. Fatality count has reached 60 and injuries in the thousands. Initially there was a fireworks factory fire, and the big blast is being attributed to a subsequent detonation of a shipload of ammonium or sodium nitrate. Some people are claiming on Twitter they think it was a nuclear explosion. But the video does not support that. There are multiple flashes of small fireworks explosions during daylight as the fire continues, then the large detonation. and largely spherical shock wave. The red brown cloud is the product of of the fireworks fire, before the big blast. Probably a lot of firefighters killed. Beirut has been through so much, for so long.
I have to disagree with part of your assessment. The white smoke appears to be the fireworks fire. When the ammonium nitrate exploded in a nearby warehouse (2,750 tons of it) the reddish cloud was produced. That would be normal for an ammonium nitrate explosion.

At least that is the current story. 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored there for the last 6 years, and the fireworks factory explosion fire set it off.

But I have a problem with that story. As far as I know, ammonium nitrate needs to be mixed with a catalyst (like diesel fuel) in the right proportions before it becomes that explosive (like the Oklahoma City truck bomb which was mixed in 55 gallon barrels). So unless the stored ammonium nitrate had been specially prepared ahead of time, I don't see how a fire could have caused it to explode with that magnitude.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-04, 23:31   #3913
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·2,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
When the ammonium nitrate exploded in a nearby warehouse (2,750 tons of it) the reddish cloud was produced. That would be normal for an ammonium nitrate explosion.

At least that is the current story. 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored there for the last 6 years, and the fireworks factory explosion fire set it off.

But I have a problem with that story. As far as I know, ammonium nitrate needs to be mixed with a catalyst (like diesel fuel) in the right proportions before it becomes that explosive (like the Oklahoma City truck bomb which was mixed in 55 gallon barrels). So unless the stored ammonium nitrate had been specially prepared ahead of time, I don't see how a fire could have caused it to explode with that magnitude.
Ok, watched some again, I see what you mean about plume color timing. In a truck-bomb, such as Oklahoma City, or Sterling Hall Madison WI, the liquid fuel is there partly to help the detonation shock wave propagate through the granular nitrate material. If the nitrate is already consolidated it will sometimes detonate without liquid fill with a sufficient trigger, even accidentally. See the Oppau disaster, where they were doing small blasting with dynamite to break up consolidated material, intending NOT to cause a bulk detonation, just help the workers using pickaxes by breaking up the material. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppau_explosion Fuel oil or other fuel combusting may boost the yield of a truck bomb, but it is not required to cause a fertilizer detonation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANFO#Disasters
The sudden appearance of the reddish part of the plume is consistent with explosive decomposition of nitrate to produce nitrogen dioxide. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide
Explosives become unstable upon heating. A fireworks factory fire can both send initiators flying, and provide heating.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-08-04 at 23:42
Old 2020-08-05, 01:51   #3914
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23·3·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
On April 16, 1947, the almost 2000 metric tons of ammonium nitrate deep in the hold of the French cargo ship Grandcamp at Texas City, Texas caught fire, and ultimately exploded. The ship's 3000-pound anchor was found two miles away.

So plain old ammonium nitrate can make a big explosion if you simply get enough of it hot enough.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-05, 02:24   #3915
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2·3·31·47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
On April 16, 1947, the almost 2000 metric tons of ammonium nitrate deep in the hold of the French cargo ship Grandcamp at Texas City, Texas
I knew a lady that lost her father in that event. Some things just disappeared with no trace of them ever found.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-05, 09:08   #3916
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

23·7·163 Posts
rolleyes Airlander 10. Section: Design. "Hmmmm…"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid...le_Fitting.jpg
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote