mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Gap Searches

Old 2020-03-20, 09:09   #23
MJansen

Jan 2018

37 Posts

Hi Seth, just to make sure I fully understand this:

I agree with pushing the prime gaps to the repository, but maybe if a new person/collective starts adding prime gaps, a message goes out so those gaps can be verified to see if they are correct?

I am not sure I understand the second option, sorry! But since it probably involves lengthy verification time, I would prefer option 1 with the additional check on new submitters.

Hope this is clear
Kind regards
Michiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethTro View Post
@robert44444uk @MJansen

Graham gave me the power to commit records to the official GitHub repository (i have currently been submitting them to my personal copy), I asked a week ago about frequency of submitting records and hey said I should hash it out with Rob.

I proposals the primegaps website should start pushes batches of records directly to the repository with no review (AKA trust me and my code)
Pros:
  • I'm a reasonable person
  • Code is open source and simple to verify.
  • Even if something went wrong there's a nice audit trail of what went wrong

An alternative would be that the primegaps website creates Pull Requests (like this one) and I/Rob/Graham hand review them before they are made official. This adds human eye in the process to make sure nothing looks weird, but I feel it's going to be overly burdensome and substantially slow down the time for reporting till they are part of the official record (we can imagine fully automating reporting form Pgsurround.pl in the future if we go with proposal 1)

What I'm asking for.
1. A yes or no if both of you are okay if I start submitting records I hand review to the repository
2. A yes or no if both of you are okay with me changing the website to automatically submit records after verification.
MJansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 09:19   #24
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJansen View Post
Hi Seth, just to make sure I fully understand this:

I agree with pushing the prime gaps to the repository, but maybe if a new person/collective starts adding prime gaps, a message goes out so those gaps can be verified to see if they are correct?

I am not sure I understand the second option, sorry! But since it probably involves lengthy verification time, I would prefer option 1 with the additional check on new submitters.

Hope this is clear
Kind regards
Michiel
We can do something like that. I'll add an email handler to the server so that any new contributor is hand reviewed (this also makes sense given they will need a new line in the credit table)

I'm also added a bunch of checks on submitting to the repository (checking merit and prime digits are correctly calculated, making sure more lines are added than deleted, making sure only one record per gap...) so the database should be even safer.

I'll post something here when I've finished the coding but expect this to go live in the next week!
SethTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 11:02   #25
MJansen

Jan 2018

3710 Posts

Brilliant! Thank you very much sir!

Kind regards
Michiel Jansen

Quote:
We can do something like that. I'll add an email handler to the server so that any new contributor is hand reviewed (this also makes sense given they will need a new line in the credit table)

I'm also added a bunch of checks on submitting to the repository (checking merit and prime digits are correctly calculated, making sure more lines are added than deleted, making sure only one record per gap...) so the database should be even safer.

I'll post something here when I've finished the coding but expect this to go live in the next week!
MJansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-08, 19:45   #26
Bobby Jacobs

May 2018

3×5×13 Posts

Are the record gaps between twin primes also kept on your site, or is it just for regular prime gaps?
Bobby Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-08, 20:20   #27
SethTro

"Seth"
Apr 2019

181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jacobs View Post
Are the record gaps between twin primes also kept on your site, or is it just for regular prime gaps?
Just regular primes. I don't think it would be very hard to store other prime gaps.

There are ~100k prime gaps, can you tell me the relative magnitude of other records? How many twin prime gaps? How many other categories might be worth recording (quad primes, quint primes, ...)?
SethTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-08, 20:38   #28
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

5028 Posts

Good reading: http://www.opertech.com/primes/k-tuples.html.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-09, 12:46   #29
mart_r

Dec 2008
you know...around...

22·3·72 Posts

Quote:
Just regular primes. I don't think it would be very hard to store other prime gaps.

There are ~100k prime gaps, can you tell me the relative magnitude of other records? How many twin prime gaps? How many other categories might be worth recording (quad primes, quint primes, ...)?
The current first occurence list for twin prime gaps has 4757 entries (at 54.6*1015) and for quadruplet prime gaps 134776 entries (at 5.5*1015).
The number of entries would increase dramatically if the search is continued outside the range for first occurence gaps.

A. Kourbatov has listed maximal gaps for tuplets up to septuplets here
https://arxiv.org/abs/1309.4053
and has even results for gaps in decuplets in the OEIS, for example A202281.

The probabilistic models for studying prime gaps in arithmetic progressions are similar to those for the usual prime gaps, that's why I think they are also quite relevant. My search lists on average a little over 200 entries per common difference q (for even q <= 2690). If this is too much data, one idea would be only to list the maximal gaps for each q, or only the top CSG value as I do in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
Here's some data as well. Though the site looked different some weeks ago. I'm not sure if the search for narrow admissible tuplets is still active, but here seems to be a contact address if any new results are found.
http://math.mit.edu/~primegaps/
mart_r is offline   Reply With Quote