Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2012-08-28, 22:36   #45
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2×1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post

(Aside: I had no idea "striptease" isn't translated in French...)
What about "effeuillage" wich would translate back to "un-leafing"

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2012-08-28 at 22:43 Reason: I prefer "Le striptease"
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 18:58   #46
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

The real "fun" is when your urges are highly illegal. I haven't acted on my urges since I was 16(except in my head, which is a bad idea but difficult to prevent) but I've heard people I know, who aren't aware of my urges, say people like me should be hung by their thumbs. That last part is a para-phrase since, as I said, they weren't aware of my urges.

I've only told a few people, one to protect a young lady from my problem(I told her mom, since I didn't want her to think I hated her daughter for some reason) and I told my employer since avoiding temptation sometimes interfered with my ability to do my job.

The reason that I didn't stop acting on my urges until I was 16 is that I respect Christianity more than the law. I would almost certainly be an ex-con or convict if I hadn't become a Christian at about 15 or so. Personally, I think Christianity is a better deterrent to crime than any law ever written.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 23:18   #47
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

770310 Posts

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 18:05   #48
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
There is in fact some scientific evidence that female orgasm - long thought a vestigial trait (related to male and female sex organs starting from the same substrate and sharing a great deal of physiological features, somewhat like nipples in men but much more elaborate in this case) - may have some evolutionarily-adaptive function tied to fertility, but this is still the subject of ongoing debate:

Wikipedia | Orgasm: Theoretical_biological_and_evolutionary_functions
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
A program broadcast on the BBC some years ago displayed the view from an endoscope pointing at the cervix. The woman orgasmed after the man had ejaculated and the endoscope showed that the cervix repeated dipped into the pool of semen. It looked very similar to mammalian lips drinking.

Further evidence that the female orgasm may be evolutionarily significant.

What is also known is that the vaginal chemistry, especially the pH, varies after orgasm. In addition, X spermatozoa differ in their motility to their Y counterparts as a function of pH. I forget which are relatively disabled and which way the acidity varies. No doubt Google would be my friend if I asked it nicely.

Not sure whether the Beeb footage is available on iPlayer. It may well be filtered out by some ISPs,

Paul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jx0dTYUO5E
Most certainly NSFW, in case the quotes weren't warning enough.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 22:57   #49
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

270116 Posts

Quote:
While we're on the subject, research the Scunthorpe problem and why AOL was advised to change its name to Omerica On Line.

Paul

Hint: A non-Indo-European national language of a European country, while we're discussing country matters ...
Is there one besides Euskara? Basque

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_language#Hypotheses_on_connections_with_other_languages[/URL]
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 01:28   #50
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

5×7×172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Is there one besides Euskara?
Yes. I can think of at least four others.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 01:31   #51
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×3×5×193 Posts

Quote:
Am am am am I right on one of them?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 02:21   #52
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

5×1,997 Posts

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive. What are they?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 06:23   #53
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

5×7×172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. What are they?
I know at least one forum member speaks at least one of them, possibly two. I would not be surprised if each of the four aren't understood by at least one member.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 06:37   #54
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×2,399 Posts

Quote:
I know at least one forum member speaks at least one of them, possibly two. I would not be surprised if each of the four aren't understood by at least one member.
"Finnish is a member of the Finnic group of the Uralic family of languages. The Finnic group also includes Estonian and other minority languages spoken around the Baltic Sea."

"The Uralic languages constitute a language family of some three dozen languages spoken by approximately 25 million people. The healthiest Uralic languages in terms of the number of native speakers are Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian, Mari and Udmurt. Countries that are home to a significant number of speakers of Uralic languages include Austria, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Norway, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Ukraine."

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2012-09-13 at 06:42 Reason: I didn't know that H wasn't IE
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 06:44   #55
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

22×7×41 Posts

just reading this thread makes me hungary.

May I suggest the History of English Language Podcast. Episode 1 will answer all. And listening further is a delight to the mind, a well done and interesting treatment of what I always assumed would be a dull subject.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote