mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2004-08-02, 02:34   #1
phrater phil

Aug 2004
Brisbane, Australia

102 Posts
Question Help needed for stress test of Albatron motherboard

I recently purchased a box with the Albatron KX18D Pro motherboard. After replacing some faulty RAM, the machine was running well, until the Prime95 stress test.

Sometimes I will get the rounding error, and other times I will get an incorrect result. Often it will fail at the first test, but I have been able to get to the third test before failure.

Let me say right now that this is an UNTWEAKED system. I would like to over-clock it eventually, but I will settle for a rock-solid machine first.

I must confess I don't know where to start looking for errors. I have run a few other stress tests, and they were ok. As far as I know my drivers are all up-to-date. Mem86test did find 97 errors after about 2:40:00 running time when last I checked, but I don't know if that means the RAM is faulty - the faulty RAM clocked up over 6000 errors in 30 minutes =) I can update the count when I get home tonight.

I copied down some details from the mem86test screen before coming in to work today:

This is an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ running at 2162 MHz
L1 cache is 128K at 13266 MB/s
L2 cache is 256K at 4223 MB/s
Memory is 512M at 982 MB/s (this is on one card, so I have 3 empty slots)

I have the NVidia Utility which will allow me to change some of the settings, but after reading many of the posts in this forum I realised I did not know where to start. If there is someone who has the same, or very similar, setup I would like to hear from you.

Normally I would not bother with trying to get Prime95 to run correctly, but I enjoyed mathematics in my younger days and thought it would be fun to contribute to this projects (instead of the Seti one, for instance).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Cheers,
Phrater Phil
phrater phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 21:41   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrater phil
After replacing some faulty RAM, the machine was running well, until the Prime95 stress test.
< snip >
but I will settle for a rock-solid machine first.
< snip >
Mem86test did find 97 errors after about 2:40:00 running time when last I checked,
Mem86test will find 0 errors on a rock-solid machine. 97 memory errors means your memory is far from "rock-solid".

Quote:
but I don't know if that means the RAM is faulty
Yes, it means the RAM is faulty.

Quote:
the faulty RAM clocked up over 6000 errors in 30 minutes =)
Well, 97 errors is certainly better than 6000 errors, so your new RAM could be described as being less faulty than your original RAM, but your new RAM is way far from rock-solid.

You need to get some really good RAM, probably from a better supplier/manufacturer than you've dealt with until now.

Quote:
after reading many of the posts in this forum I realised I did not know where to start.
Starting with the RAM is a fine place to start. :-)
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 01:01   #3
phrater phil

Aug 2004
Brisbane, Australia

102 Posts
Smile

Thanks for your reply, cheesehead

By the time I got home, mem86test was up to 190 errors in ten and a half hours. The error summary showed all of these were on tests 3, 4, and 5.

Okay, I guess I am up for some new RAM, again. Actually the guy who took my machine when I went to get the RAM replaced said something about my mother-board not playing nice with generic RAM. I thought he was just trying to cover his arse at the time but perhaps he was on to something...

In the meantime, I customised the blend test to use 128M (I think) of RAM, and that torture test ran for two hours without error. In fact, I started a PrimeNet session before I went to bed - about 9 and half hours ago - and it was still running without error when I left home again two hours ago. I did have to turn off the CPU diode high temperature alarm because it was getting to 70 degrees Celsius at times.

Hm, I think I should invest in another fan too =)

I am under no illusion. The RAM is not perfect. I am hoping I can go back where I got the box and upgrade the generic stuff for a stick of Corsair RAM. I figure it should only be an extra $30 (AUD) or so.

Thanks again for your feedback cheesehead.

Cheers,
Phrater Phil
phrater phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 03:41   #4
geoff

Mar 2003
New Zealand

13·89 Posts

It is possible for a faulty CPU, power supply, overheating etc. to cause errors in memtest86, but in that case I think the errors would be random across all tests rather than be confined to just a few specific ones.
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 00:43   #5
outlnder

Aug 2002

2×3×53 Posts

Don't be cheap on the heatsink. A good copper unit with an 80 mm fan is needed for an XP.

Last fiddled with by outlnder on 2004-08-04 at 00:43
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:56   #6
eydolic

Oct 2004
Longview, Texas

10102 Posts

Quote:
A good copper unit with an 80 mm fan is needed for an XP.
Not entirely true. If you keep your case cool (below 38C ambient, full load) and have some decent thermal compound, then an 80MM fan is overkill. I have an XP2500+ Barton @ 2.45Ghz (233X10.5@1.875v) w/ Arctic Silver 5 and a TT Volcano 10+ (60mm/4800rpm/copper HS). Idle is ~36C and full load is ~48C. I keep my ambient case temperature around 35C.
eydolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 11:20   #7
BotXXX

Aug 2003
Europe

2×97 Posts

Good cooling is indeed not somthing to save money on. But also check the settings of the memory in the BIOS of the motherbord. Try maybe to lower the RAM speed and/or raise the latencies of the memory. It can be that this will help a bit.

Some mothebords have some problems in detecting the correct values registered in the RAM. And some RAM modules have had bad values registered and would work rock-solid on lower speeds.
BotXXX is offline   Reply With Quote