mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies > Chess

Old 2014-12-06, 16:43   #23
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC516 Posts

Well, a couple of people have expressed a preference for keeping the time keeping as it was, namely a maximum of 7 days for each move.

Would it be a good compromise between the different opinions on that subject to say that the rule should indeed remain as it was but we should where possible observe a sporting agreement not to use all our available thinking time every move when it is not necessary?

As a further comment, I would really like to hear from LaurV who is, I think, the one remaining key person to have been silent since giving checkmate in game 2. And I'd like to know from the Pirates team in general if they consider that they have enough players to make a good go at game 3. If not, there are possible corrective courses of action. For example, I would be willing to swap teams if necessary going into game 3 and play alongside LaurV and WMHalsdorf to even up the numbers. My experience with my team-mates in the Geckos was and remains very positive indeed, but I would still be prepared to transfer if it helps get game 3 started. But that's just one of many possible measures we could take, of course.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-07, 17:31   #24
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

33·347 Posts

Hi everybody, sorry for the delay, we had national holiday here in Thai (king birthday, and father's day, total crazzzynes in the city, we wanted to get out) and I was not around with my family for the long weekend. I just arrived back few hours ago, and guess what I am doing since? Eating cake (my daughter's birthday today, she is 16) and reading a dissertation of the last game. It is really interesting to sort all the posts from both subforums, from all moves threads, in chronological order, and read them mixed like that, and see, with the board and notes in front, what the teams were thinking for a particular position.

I really want to congratulate the opponent team for the very nice posts and very fine game. You are really a veritable team, and I raise my hat in front of your fair-play and team collaboration. Which I can not say about our team, no disrespect for WMH or cheesehead, in fact when cheesehead left the team the game was already balanced totally on our side, so WMH and me, we didn't have much to do. You can say that cheesehead have beaten you, and not the pirates.

I don't think I am playing further.

I am not happy with the "luck" I had with my teams. The reason may be myself, I am kinda harsh guy. Or not. But the facts are facts. First I had that idiot called Raman (btw, I was laughing to read in your forum that he contacted each of you private to challenge you to 1-to-1 games, haha, what a jerk!), then I still can't get it out of my head that I was the one who upset Dubslow (he actually disappeared from the forum for an year or so, after I joked to him ("accused" him) that he was a "tyrant" captain, for me it was a joke, maybe for him too, but the fact is that he disappeared from the forum exactly after that, and never commented about, in spite of the fact that I tried to discuss it few times). Then for the second game, bb resigned from the team, with cheesehead we had show...

It might be me the tainted one ...

Now, people want to join the third game, but they want to join geckos, in spite of the fact that the pirates have two free positions. You know what? If I would play in the third game, I would also want to join geckos You really have a nice team. And statistically you lost two games, so you have to win the third (yeah, I know this is gambler's fallacy, the coin already tossed two times won't influence the third toss). So, if I would play, i would also like to join geckos, hehe. Do you know what "candidates" I had for the second game for my team? Davieddy, hehe. Yeah, no joke. I didn't accept him in my team because one of the moderators wrote me PM saying that I may not be able to handle an old alcoholic, and I didn't want to risk, after Raman. And well, not long after, Davieddy got banned. I am tainted, I tell you. If I would join Geckos, there it goes with the harmony in your team...

So, I think I better watch the next game from the fence. I better retreat in glory, hehe. You can't cheat me to come into the ring again, to purple my eyes... I won two games (well, technically not myself, but I was lucky to be in the winning team two times) so I take my money and go... Even when I am trading, I have this rule that I wait few candles after I close a trade, never re-enter immediately. Let the market calm down... (especially after a losing trade, never try to take revenge against the market, you will lose more, but also after the winning stakes, don't reopen and give the profit back to the market).

So, you see, I will watch from the fence this time. It does wonders for my free time, too. These games are very time consuming. What a pity chibitzing is not allowed.

Good luck to the further participants. I wish geckos win, you really have a wonderful team. I like your analysis.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-12-07 at 17:43 Reason: s/pitty/pity/ s/hate/hat/
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-07, 17:53   #25
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

41×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
... Then for the second game, bb resigned from the team...

These games are very time consuming....
This is the reason I resigned, it had nothing to do you with! Just so you know.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-07, 18:06   #26
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

249916 Posts

Everybody had a reason, of course you would not say the real reason here in public...

(just kidding with you, as I said at that time, I am very happy to know you working at yafu, instead of wasting your time playing chess. Yafu is sill one of the best tools for factoring, here around, and from which I learned lot of things!).

(and btw, I hope people don't take my "mockery" very seriously here, that's more like a satire, or fun)

(going to bed now, 1:06 AM here, still few hours of sleep)

(the cake was wonderful! the wine not so. You can't buy good wine in Thai, at least not for non-prohibitive prices)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-12-07 at 18:13
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-07, 20:11   #27
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC516 Posts

@LaurV I spent several hours on Friday reading through the threads of the Pirates subforum for game 2. Not that I played through all the reams and reams of analysis of course - that would take me weeks! - and it wasn't just cheesehead who posted lots of this from what I can see, both you and WMHalsdorf (after the departure of bsquared) clearly put huge efforts in too and found many errors or improvements in what he wrote which he always acknowledged. You were clearly a very talented and enthusiastic team, all of you. I take my hat off to you all. And I am sad to see you leave. Maybe we'll manage to entice you back later despite what you write above.

Well then, we have WMHalsdorf as the only former Pirate still playing, plus all four former Geckos and davar55 who wants to join the Geckos on an occasional basis. Is it a good idea for me to jump ship and join WMHalsdorf in the Pirates team so that we have two against four for the time being? Obviously WMHalsdorf should have a major say in that possible development.
Old 2014-12-07, 21:37   #28
WMHalsdorf

Feb 2005
Bristol, CT

33×19 Posts

I joined game 1 in sometime in the middle when the number of players kept dwindling. In all fairnest it would be better to retire the Pirates/Geckos team names and create new teams.
WMHalsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-07, 21:54   #29
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHalsdorf View Post
I joined game 1 in sometime in the middle when the number of players kept dwindling. In all fairnest it would be better to retire the Pirates/Geckos team names and create new teams.
Okay. And, in the hypothetical situation in which it was entirely up to you, how would you most like to see the makeup of the two teams, whatever their names? Would you prefer to be in a team by yourself or with one, two or more team-mates? Your opinion is important on that question, I think, because you are the only remaining member of the former Pirates team.
Old 2014-12-08, 00:13   #30
WMHalsdorf

Feb 2005
Bristol, CT

33×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Okay. And, in the hypothetical situation in which it was entirely up to you, how would you most like to see the makeup of the two teams, whatever their names? Would you prefer to be in a team by yourself or with one, two or more team-mates? Your opinion is important on that question, I think, because you are the only remaining member of the former Pirates team.
I would prefer 3 or more in the team but would settle for 2. I don't know how the original names were chosen so that would have to wait.
WMHalsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-08, 00:35   #31
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

CC516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHalsdorf View Post
I would prefer 3 or more in the team but would settle for 2. I don't know how the original names were chosen so that would have to wait.
Well, one configuration which would give 3 in each team is the following:

WMHalsdorf, Brian-E, davar55

paulunderwood (captain), henryzz, richs

Team names, and captain of the first mentioned team, still to be decided.

This keeps three of the former Geckos together as they (we) were a closely knit team. It moves davar55 who expressed a preference for the Geckos but this team would no longer exist as such anyway.

Would people be unhappy with that possible arrangement? Are there other suggestions?
Old 2014-12-08, 00:42   #32
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

361710 Posts

Suits me
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-08, 02:34   #33
davar55

May 2004
New York City

10000100010002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Suits me
Me too.

I vote for Brian-E for Captain.

Now as to team name: how about the Knights Exemplar ?
It just sounds cool, and chess related.

Can we start tonight? I may or may not be around until Thursday.

Last fiddled with by davar55 on 2014-12-08 at 02:35
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote