Old 2011-07-05, 13:49   #1
amateur7

Jul 2011
Tobolsk, Russia

2 Posts
Default Transfering work from one CPU to another

Good day.
Some newbie's questions:
1) How can I transfer ongoing work from one computer to another?
2) Another computer has it's work too, so is there way to make it calculate these two works simultaneously?
3) What is expected completion date? How it generates? Can my computer make it faster then it is expected?

Thank you for your answers.
amateur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 15:17   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateur7 View Post
Good day.
Some newbie's questions:
1) How can I transfer ongoing work from one computer to another?
2) Another computer has it's work too, so is there way to make it calculate these two works simultaneously?
3) What is expected completion date? How it generates? Can my computer make it faster then it is expected?

Thank you for your answers.
I'm still a newbie compared to some but I'll try my best:

1) that has to do with worktodo and a few other files transferring them should do the trick I believe ( unless I oversimplified things).

2) 2 worker windows can do 2 assignments on the same computer , I believe what you are talking of is hyper-threading or parallel computation.

3) I'm unsure on this front outside of going to options and changing memory usage I haven't a clue on how else to do it quicker. someone higher up probably can give good links.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 16:13   #3
amateur7

Jul 2011
Tobolsk, Russia

28 Posts
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
1) that has to do with worktodo and a few other files transferring them should do the trick I believe ( unless I oversimplified things).
I have a thought about copying the Prime95 folder "as is" without the "local.txt" file. I'll try to test this supposition if there is any opportunity or two. I think I'll have to test a Hyper-Threading option too.
Thank you for your time :)
amateur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 17:46   #4
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

Hyperthreading, unfortuneately, doesn't resolve any of P95's bottlenecks, just introduces needless task switching. You need real cores to speed the task, not just a way to do fast context switches with shadow registers.

Copying worktodo.txt copies your current assignments. The non-text files ( no extension, .bu, and .bu2 etc) keep the current state of your assignment.

Unless you have no more tasks than cores, getting one computer to work on multiple tasks simultaneously is counter-productive -- switching between tasks has a substantial cost. It is better to merge the worktodo.txt files by hand and do the tasks sequentially.

The format of worktodo.txt isn't hard; it will be obvious if you open it with a text editor. Have a look at undoc.txt and readme.txt.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote