mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2003-04-23, 15:53   #1
QuintLeo

Oct 2002
Lost in the hills of Iowa

26·7 Posts
Default MOO 3

Is it just me, or is the interface for Masters of Orion 3 incredibly frustrating?

I've spent more time over the last 3 weeks yelling at that game for doing stupid stuff than playing it - possibly *literally* - and am to the point of taking it back for a refund 'cause it just does NOT work well - and the problems seem to be inherent.

Don't even get me started on their so-called "support" - my email exchange with them got to the point that my last responce would have scorched paint - they don't consider any of the problems I've pointed out to them to *be* problems....
QuintLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-23, 22:31   #2
asdf

Sep 2002

22×3×5 Posts

I don't know anything about MOO3, but the original MOO is so cool. I heard MOO2 is horrible, so I'm not going to get that. I'm waiting to see what my friend has to say about MOO3.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-26, 06:38   #3
Tasuke

Aug 2002

23·32 Posts

I'll be direct with you and say that for the first few hours I thought the game would drive me mad. People who have kept their Strategy Cortex well maintained on other massive management games might have an easier time with it, but this is not a "game" in the classic sense of entertainment so much as it is a "aparatus" or tool." It is an interface designed to ease the management of a star empire.

Once you learn that, the rest is easy.

The issue is that there is so Goddamn much information that you need to acclimate yourself to it.

Oh, and get the Prima guide, and study it like a text book. Hell, write up some multiple choice tests, or have a friend/family member do it. Flashcards would also help. All in all I have lost about 25 hours of my life to it an I have to say that MoO3 is awesome. Just takes the kinda of dedication that it took to get through the first semister of Eng. lit. Lots of reading and re-reading.
Tasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-27, 07:24   #4
QuintLeo

Oct 2002
Lost in the hills of Iowa

7008 Posts

I'm a long-time fan of strategy and monster games. Civ from the BOARD game days up to III, including Alpha Centauri (but skipped Test of Time), STARS!, among many others. Can *you* say "SPI's War in Europe"?

Out of ALL of the games of this genre I've played, MOO3 is THE most incredibly annoying. It's the ONLY game I've ever ended up spending more time pissed off at than playing due to the interface.

I suspect that 2 changes would help a LOT

1) Either FIX the bloody save game so that it saves EVERYTHING you've done within a turn reliably, or fix the SitRep so that you can pull it up right after loading a saved game.

2) Longer build que - 3 is WAY too short, and far to easy to build through IN ONE TURN then you get stuck building stuff you don't WANT sometimes.

I also get *VERY* tired of getting stuffed into the Planetary Infrastructure screen instend of the Build screen when I hit the hyperlink in the SitRep on a completed Military build - I normally couldn't care LESS about that Infrastructure screen, I *know* what I want to build next.

Unfortunately, after my exchange of emails with the Infogames and Quicksilver groups, I seriously doubt that they CARE - they gave me the definite impression that there won't be any changes made, as *they* like the game the way it is.

Their loss - they've lost *any* chance of my ever *considering* the purchace of a MOO 4 or later with their attitude.

It's too bad - the game does have some nice stuff and concepts, though I find 250 stars way too small for a "huge" game and the 800x600 max graphics resolution pretty primitive for a current game release.

BTW - 25 hours? Is that all? I've got probably a couple HUNDRED invested - got well past turn 150 in to seperate games before I just got totally annoyed at the game doing the SAME stupid stuff over and over again.
QuintLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-04-27, 07:48   #5
Tasuke

Aug 2002

23×32 Posts

If you saw how my life was currently running off tracks, you would be more worried about how I found those 25 hours.
Tasuke is offline   Reply With Quote