tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

24A16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
Call me skeptical.

I remember when they were doing the tests previously the system was so horribly inaccurate that they had to "juice" the intercepts by placing transponders in the targets to guide the ABM in. This, of course, was so that they could claim an inflated kill ratio. Do we have any assurance they have stopped cheating?

And what about the problem of simply overwhelming the ABM system with reams of cheap dummy warheads? Have they solved that problem?

These headlines and press releases are just so the defense contractor can continue to get funding.

The Dakotas and Montana are littered with the decaying remnants of giant Air Force installations that were part of an earlier ABM system.

Last fiddled with by tServo on 2020-11-17 at 17:12
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-17, 22:27   #3
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

10010010102 Posts

I found two more tidbits in another article:

The ABM missile was launched by a destroyer fitted with an AEGIS defense system. Perhaps you might remember the Iranian civilian airliner shot down by a different US warship with the same system? It was highly touted that it could track and shoot down multiple incoming threats simultaneously. In reality, it couldn't tell the difference between a f F-14 and an lumbering Airbus A300.

Also, the test was hailed because it intercepted the target waaaaay high up beyond the atmosphere. The problem with that is that dummy warheads look identical to real ones way up there.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 00:11   #4
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

418210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
I found two more tidbits in another article:

The ABM missile was launched by a destroyer fitted with an AEGIS defense system. Perhaps you might remember the Iranian civilian airliner shot down by a different US warship with the same system? It was highly touted that it could track and shoot down multiple incoming threats simultaneously. In reality, it couldn't tell the difference between a f F-14 and an lumbering Airbus A300.

Also, the test was hailed because it intercepted the target waaaaay high up beyond the atmosphere. The problem with that is that dummy warheads look identical to real ones way up there.
This is great! With the new system, we'll be able to destroy our own satellites! Low earth orbit will be unusable in no time!
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 04:08   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×23×199 Posts

Yep, the business of the future, make some toy that goes to orbit and collect the garbage and metal/scraps/dust/whatever and brings it back to Earth (or sends it out of orbit, to Sun, Jupiter, Andromeda, whatever).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 13:10   #6
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

105616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Yep, the business of the future, make some toy that goes to orbit and collect the garbage and metal/scraps/dust/whatever and brings it back to Earth (or sends it out of orbit, to Sun, Jupiter, Andromeda, whatever).
The "Kessler effect" or [echo chamber]The Kessler Syndrome! [/echo chamber] is named for a NASA scientist. But it looks like somebody else got on it first: ESA commissions world’s first space debris removal
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 04:08   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

11×13×71 Posts

I am skeptical because the ABM-launching ship presumably could know the target's launch location and maybe launch time. Just knowing the location gives them an advantage..I suspect staged "test" to impress Congress Critters and get 'billions and billions" more $$$s.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-11-24 at 04:09
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-30, 12:47   #8
TommyJ

"Tom Johnson"
Dec 2020
United Kingdom

11 Posts
Default I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The "Kessler effect" or [echo chamber]The Kessler Syndrome! [/echo chamber] is named for a NASA scientist. But it looks like somebody else got on it first: ESA commissions world’s first space debris removal
As far as I've heard, quite a few space debris removal projects are in the final stages of testing. Swiss, Japanese, British, American companies are actively involved in this issue. Explain to me the skepticism of previous commentators? There is work to be done. So someone will do it. And make money on it.
TommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote