mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-09-14, 04:57   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

1001010010012 Posts
Default experimental chip delivers 350 GHz @ room temp.

[link]

Yum! I hope this becomes available to consumers in the future!
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 14:31   #2
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

ACB16 Posts
Default

And my monkey can jump up and down at 1PHz provided his feet are at -1 Kelvin
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 15:29   #3
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·32·5·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
And my monkey can jump up and down at 1PHz provided his feet are at -1 Kelvin
I think you're spanking him too much if he jumps that fast
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 19:36   #4
garo
 
garo's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

ACB16 Posts
Default

Spank the monkey? Fuhgeddaboutit.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 06:51   #5
Eivind
 
Feb 2006

3·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
And my monkey can jump up and down at 1PHz provided his feet are at -1 Kelvin
Humm, 1PHz we will se, but -1 Kelvin?

Tell you what, if you get -1 Kelvin, I'll find the address in Stockholm


Somehow my monkey seem to wera out to soon, if I spank it too fast.

-Eivind
Eivind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 11:28   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

299616 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind View Post
Tell you what, if you get -1 Kelvin, I'll find the address in Stockholm
I've no idea whether -1 Kelvin has been reached exerimentally, but I very much doubbt that you'd be able to get another Noble for creating systems with negative temperatures.

You are probably within a metre or so of a system (I'm now within a few cm) that works at a negative T and you've probably got several such where you live.

Read up on "population inversion" and "negative temperature".

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 11:42   #7
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

194A16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Read up on "population inversion" and "negative temperature".

Paul
Yes I thought of this.
e.g. take a paramagnetic substance in a magnetic field,
then reverse the field quickly. However I always considered this
cheating since the distribution of magnetic moments hasn't reached
equilibrium.

David

Were you thinking of a laser?

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2007-09-17 at 11:43
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 12:18   #8
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind View Post
Humm, 1PHz we will se, but -1 Kelvin?

Tell you what, if you get -1 Kelvin, I'll find the address in Stockholm


Somehow my monkey seem to wera out to soon, if I spank it too fast.

-Eivind
It is easy to get to -1 Kelvin. You just need a substrate built from
resublimated Thiotimiline..
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 12:51   #9
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted
 
Mini-Geek's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I've no idea whether -1 Kelvin has been reached exerimentally, but I very much doubbt that you'd be able to get another Noble for creating systems with negative temperatures.
-1 Kelvin is really a joke, I think. 0 Kelvin is defined as absolute zero, the temperature at which the molecules are not 'bumping around', if you will, at all. A negative Kelvin temperature can't happen, by definition.
A temperature very very close to 0 Kelvin has been reached experimentally, but absolute zero has not.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 22:23   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1064610 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
-1 Kelvin is really a joke, I think. 0 Kelvin is defined as absolute zero, the temperature at which the molecules are not 'bumping around', if you will, at all. A negative Kelvin temperature can't happen, by definition.
A temperature very very close to 0 Kelvin has been reached experimentally, but absolute zero has not.
I repeat: read up on "negative temperature" and "population inversion".

Since giving that advice, I've since re-read up on the matter and have discovered that temperatures on the order of -1 nanoKelvin and higher have been reached experimentally, so -1K is far from impressive.


Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 22:24   #11
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·5,323 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
Yes I thought of this.
e.g. take a paramagnetic substance in a magnetic field,
then reverse the field quickly. However I always considered this
cheating since the distribution of magnetic moments hasn't reached
equilibrium.

David

Were you thinking of a laser?
Yup. There's one in my laptop's CD drive which, as stated, is a few cm from me.


Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Room Temperature Alloy a1call Lounge 0 2017-05-20 14:34
Good mathematical tinkerers are in the Zen room wildrabbitt Miscellaneous Math 57 2015-06-03 16:06
IRC room? kracker Lounge 3 2012-06-17 20:59
LHC delivers doppelgΓ€nger piazza ewmayer Science & Technology 42 2008-12-18 01:44
Any room for optimization on Core 2 processors? E_tron Software 4 2007-03-30 06:59

All times are UTC. The time now is 11:40.

Sun Apr 18 11:40:31 UTC 2021 up 10 days, 6:21, 0 users, load averages: 2.22, 2.10, 2.09

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.