mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Homework Help

Old 2010-04-15, 20:21   #1
wetfoot

Apr 2010

5 Posts
Default Investigating Distributed Computing Projects

Hi guys,
I am doing some research for my dissertation which is on assessing the application of grid computing in projects such as the ones here.

I was wondering if some of you who are part of these projects might do a short survey (6 questions and a space for comments) to help in my research?

I am particularly interested in stability, security and advertising of projects but any and all info is appreciated!

I would really appreciate it if you could take part and if anyone is interested I can post the results back when it's finished.

You can find the survey at the link below
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/59XJ5QJ

Thanks
wetfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 05:26   #2
wetfoot

Apr 2010

5 Posts

Without an edit button decided to reply (was at top of list so not bumping :P)

Thank you very much for your responses so far guys, some very useful responses there!

Keep 'em coming :D
Old 2010-04-16, 06:15   #3
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

I submitted my response just now--you should be able to recognize it easily, it's the one where each box contains a near-essay. I was surprised that it didn't ask for an optional name and email address at the end, so I figured I'd identify myself here. I'm actually an assistant administrator on two distributed compting projects here, so my perspective may be somewhat different than the typical distributed computing aficionado at which the survey was targeted--most notably on the question of "have you ever had any issues with distributed computing projects", since I'm usually the one tasked with solving those issues rather than being the user in distress myself. Hopefully my responses will prove useful.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 06:49   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

37·281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
I I was surprised that it didn't ask for an optional name and email address at the end, so I figured I'd identify myself here.
For that I used the final box which asked for comments.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 06:52   #5
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
For that I used the final box which asked for comments.

Paul
Yeah, I was about to do that but I figured "surely it will ask me for that info after I click "Done", right?" Wrong. Silly me, should have put it in there anyway--couldn't hurt.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2010-04-16 at 06:52
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 09:03   #6
Random Poster

Dec 2008

179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetfoot View Post
Hi guys,
I am doing some research for my dissertation which is on assessing the application of grid computing in projects such as the ones here.
Have you seen http://www.distributedcomputing.info/? As far as I know, this is the most comprehensive list of distributed computing projects. Unfortunately that means it also lists a lot of dead projects. (I wonder if we should call those "disturbed computing" projects...)
Random Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 17:45   #7
wetfoot

Apr 2010

1012 Posts

Thanks guys!

@mdettweiler
Pretty sure I know which responses are yours... Very useful information!

@random Poster
I have checked out that link site before and it is very useful!

@all, Thanks for all the info it's really helping put together a picture of the opinion of the community involved in these projects! Combined with the responses from the other forums I have asked for help on I am up to 28 completed surveys! So definitely getting to the point where I can see some real trends in opinion!!!!

@those who thought the survey was a little simple, I decided to make it that way to get as much response as possible on the main aspects I am interested in. If there is anything else anyone wants to add in the forum that they think is pertinent I would gladly hear it as bonus!

When the dissertation is finished I will post the main findings here (although I'm not sure how profound they will be!).

Also someone mentioned on the seti@home project forums that I was a bit anonomous with who I am and what I will do with the findings so just to clarify here is the jist of my response!

My name is Qaasim Alexander Majid, I am studying toward a Computer Networking BSc at Sheffield Hallam University in England, my dissertation is looking briefly at how these 'Distributed Computing Projects' utilise Grid Computing to achieve their aims and more in depth at how Distributed Projects achieve success over competition and ignorance. The purpose of this survey is to see what people involved these projects see as key points of what makes/threatens a good distributed computing project.

No personal info is asked for, nor do I believe any of the questions to be invasive at all and as implied in my original post by me saying
Quote:
...if anyone is interested I can post the results back when it's finished.
the comments taken may be shown to people. However should you have put your name and email in the comments box as 2 people have I would ask you before putting them anywhere (not that I would have any reason to use those details in results summation).

Thanks everyone :D

Survey's still going! (Don't want to imply otherwise )

Last fiddled with by wetfoot on 2010-04-16 at 17:47
Old 2010-04-16, 18:40   #8
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
Unfortunately that means it also lists a lot of dead projects. (I wonder if we should call those "disturbed computing" projects...)
"Deceased computing projects" ?
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 19:42   #9
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

11×211 Posts

I've submitted a response as well.
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 20:51   #10
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

2·3·149 Posts

I will submit a response soon; however, at the moment I am getting ready to head to a study session for some major exams Monday and Wednesday. Look for my response after that :)
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote