mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-02-17, 17:06   #1299
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

68016 Posts

"Intranasal fusion inhibitory lipopeptide prevents direct-contact SARS-CoV-2 transmission in ferrets"
Article: https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...f4896.full.pdf
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 05:44   #1300
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

24·383 Posts
Default Three-and-a-half months incubation time?

https://gov.fm/index.php/component/c...further-notice
Quote:
The crew have been strictly confined to the ship since September 22nd, 2020. On January 7th, twelve (12) crew were tested for COVID-19. One (1) individual was tested twice and, on both occasions, positive for COVID-19.
Maybe a four-month quarantine period is in order?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 16:10   #1301
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
And it's rich, coming from someone who presumes to declare people useless, or unworthy of receiving the COVID vaccine - people with existing health problems likely made bad decisions. Old people aren't going to live long anyway. Screw 'em. Just hand the vaccine out at random.
What a misrepresentation of my position. I'm saying a life is a life and that no group of people is more important than any other group.

People who've likely made bad decisions about their health or who may not have much longer to live deserve to get the vaccine just as much as people who likely took care of their health and/or have many decades left to live. No more, no less. If I really declared smokers, the obese, the elderly, etc., useless or unworthy of getting the vaccine, I would have moved them to the back of the line or denied them altogether.

By eliminating vaccine priority requirements, you get rid of a lot of the paperwork and bureaucracy and can therefore vaccinate people at a faster rate. If a whole bunch of people are drowning, you don't debate who is more worthy of being rescued first. You just start from the people closest to you regardless of their age or whether or not it was their fault for going into the water.

MODERATOR NOTE: Moved from "Peak Oil" thread along with some response posts, including one of mine

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-02-18 at 17:21 Reason: As indicated
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 16:19   #1302
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

24×383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carnivore View Post
By eliminating vaccine priority requirements, you get rid of a lot of the paperwork and bureaucracy and can therefore vaccinate people at a faster rate. If a whole bunch of people are drowning, you don't debate who is more worthy of being rescued first. You just start from the people closest to you regardless of their age or whether or not it was their fault for going into the water.
Bad analogy. Not everyone is drowning.

Younger people either have no symptoms, or very light symptoms, at rates far higher than other groups. So it could be argued that they don't need any vaccine (not yet anyway). Whereas "older" or "poor health" people often have high rates of severe difficulties dealing with the virus, so it could be argued that not prioritising the more needful group, and instead giving vaccines to those other groups that have no immediate need, is effectively saying "sucks to be you".
Old 2021-02-18, 17:04   #1303
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·5·449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post

Younger people either have no symptoms, or very light symptoms, at rates far higher than other groups. So it could be argued that they don't need any vaccine (not yet anyway). Whereas "older" or "poor health" people often have high rates of severe difficulties dealing with the virus, so it could be argued that not prioritising the more needful group, and instead giving vaccines to those other groups that have no immediate need, is effectively saying "sucks to be you".
Exactamundo.

Saying "vaccinating at random is (or might be) faster" is fatuous. Absent a large stockpile, vaccinations can't be given faster than vaccine can be made.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 17:20   #1304
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

612810 Posts

A young man and his grandmother, arrive at the clinic to get vaccinated.

Man (to nurse): We're here to get vaccinated
Nurse: Great. We have one dose left in this shipment. I'll toss a coin to see who gets it
Man: No, don't use a coin. Give it my my granny
Nurse: Nope. We have to be fair. Can't play favourites. But good news, you won the toss
<Nurse, not swayed by his pleas, proceeds to give the man the vaccine>
Man: When is the next shipment
Nurse: Six weeks. We'll call to remind you
<Three weeks pass, granny gets infected and dies>
<Three more weeks pass>
Nurse (on the phone, to the man): Hi. The shipment has arrived. Bring in your granny
Man: Nevermind.

Alternative version:

Nurse: Great. We have one dose left in this shipment. Granny goes first
Man: Cool, let's do it
<Nurse proceeds to give granny the vaccine>
<Three weeks pass, granny gets infected and gets a mild headache>
<Granny goes on to discover a cure for cancer, end world hunger, and prove RH and P=NP>
Old 2021-02-18, 17:33   #1305
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

25110 Posts

Quote:

Fine, I'll use another one based on this week's news:

A large number of homeless people are freezing. Shelter is available, but you can only fit a small number of people in your van to transport them there. You will then have to come back to load the next group of people onto the van. Do you:

A. - Keep driving around the neighborhood in search of the most poorly dressed vulnerable people who're least likely to survive without shelter

or

B. - Load the first people you see into your van and quickly come back for more?

I'm just saying that option B makes more sense.
Old 2021-02-18, 17:45   #1306
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

24×383 Posts

Quote:
Fine, I'll use another one based on this week's news:

A large number of homeless people are freezing. Shelter is available, but you can only fit a small number of people in your van to transport them there. You will then have to come back to load the next group of people onto the van. Do you:

A. - Keep driving around the neighborhood in search of the most poorly dressed vulnerable people who're least likely to survive without shelter

or

B. - Load the first people you see into your van and quickly come back for more?

I'm just saying that option B makes more sense.
Just as bad. Not everyone is freezing. Only a certain class of people are freezing. In this case people in one location.

To fulfil your analogy you would have people in all places being herded into vans and taken to shelter because parts of Texas have no electricity. We have to be "fair" right? Even though the other places don't need it, well, we can't let them miss out, that would be unfair. So everyone gets a turn in the van.
Old 2021-02-18, 18:18   #1307
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

251 Posts

Quote:

Nurse: Great. We have one dose left in this shipment. I'll toss a coin to see who gets it
Man: No, don't use a coin. Give it my my granny
Nurse: Nope. We have to be fair. Can't play favourites. But good news, you won the toss
<Three weeks pass, granny gets infected and dies>
<Three more weeks pass>
Nurse (on the phone, to the man): Hi. The shipment has arrived. Bring in your granny

Alternative version:

<Three weeks pass, granny gets infected and gets a mild headache>
<Granny goes on to discover a cure for cancer, end world hunger, and prove RH and P=NP>
This scenario is just as likely:

Man: No, don't use a coin. Give it to my granny
<Three weeks pass, granny stays at home since she's retired. But she still gets infected on her rare trip to the grocery store and dies>
<Three more weeks pass>

Alternative version:

<Three weeks pass, granny gets infected and gets a mild headache. The man gets infected, has minimal or no symptoms, and proceeds to infect hundreds of other people while working as a cashier at the grocery store.>
<One of those people infected by the man would have gone on to discover a cure for cancer, end world hunger, and prove RH and P=NP. But he dies before getting that opportunity.
>
Old 2021-02-18, 18:43   #1308
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

19×83 Posts

Quote:
[B]The man gets infected, has minimal or no symptoms, and proceeds to infect hundreds of other people
There's your mistake.
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 19:03   #1309
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
There's your mistake.
What mistake? Most transmission is caused by people who have no or very minimal symptoms:
https://consumer.healthday.com/amp/a...als-2649765579

Vaccinated people are less likely to transmit the virus, so vaccinating a young healthy worker who's frequently in contact with others at his/her job could save more lives than vaccinating an elderly retired person:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/03/healt...ntl/index.html