mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2008-09-30, 09:23   #1
dtripp

336410 Posts
Default Parallel version of Prime for HPC?

Does anyone know of a parallel implementation of prime search for distributed memory clusters. I tinkered around with building one a while back, but time isn't on my side. I know it would be a large undertaking to create an MPI version and post it to GIMPS, but I know of many HPC centers where large scale machines site idle part of the time. I could dedicate a couple million CPU hours to the project if there was a parallel version. I have found some MPI versions of FFT, but I'm not a mathematician, I'm a HPC system admin with a background in hardware, a BS in CS, but as my teachers would tell you, I'm not that great at mathematics! I like to reply back "a computer can add, and all the rest if just decompositions of that".

Thanks for the help,

- Donald Tripp
University of Hawaii, Hilo
Old 2008-09-30, 09:56   #2
BotXXX

Aug 2003
Europe

3028 Posts

Best bet would probably one of the following:
- Mlucas program by Ernst Mayer of Cupertino California USA.
- Glucas program by Guillermo Ballester Valor of Granada, Spain.
Both programs are used in the verification of primes discovered by GIMPS and run on HPC.
BotXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 11:12   #3
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

22·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtripp View Post
Does anyone know of a parallel implementation of prime search for distributed memory clusters.
If you are talking about networked clusters, I don't think a parallel implementation will be efficient since bandwidth is a real concern.

IIRC Ernst wrote somewhere on this forum that he would release a newer parallel version of his Mlucas program, the one that was used to double-check the 2 latest primes found. But my memory has been proven wrong enough that you should not trust me blindly :)

Last fiddled with by ldesnogu on 2008-09-30 at 11:15
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 19:52   #4
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

5×2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
IIRC Ernst wrote somewhere on this forum that he would release a newer parallel version of his Mlucas program, the one that was used to double-check the 2 latest primes found. But my memory has been proven wrong enough that you should not trust me blindly :)
Your recall is correct - in the time leading up to the official release [no form date yet, let's just say "hopefully before end of the year"], anyone who wants a zip archive of the current code snapshot can simply e-mail me at ewmayer@aol.com . Please note that would-be builders should be experienced enough to work through the more-obvious kinds of platform-related build issues [e.g. tweaking the compiler options as needed] themselves, as my support bandwidth is extremely limited.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote