mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Old 2007-08-17, 05:52   #1
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

240538 Posts
Default Spanish; what is going on ?

I've looked all over the forums here for the last day or so and still don't see an answer or complaint for this. At first I thought it was a joke that would correct itself after a little while. My question is...why are part of the thread names suddenly changing to Spanish? And furthermore, it has now changed my information in the top-right corner of my screen to Spanish. That is, it's changed "Hello, gd_barnes" to "Buenos dias, gd_barnes" and from "Private messages" to "Mensajes Privados".

Can someone tell me what is going on? I looked around in my profile and elsewhere and couldn't find a setting for language so I'm dumbfounded by all of this. And it seems to be progressing...first the thread names yesterday, then the 'private messages' verbiage early today and just recently, the 'hello' greeting. So I'm starting to get concerned about what else is going to be converted.

I'm all for allowing whatever languages we want on here but I'd like it if we knew what was going on regarding them.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Gary
gd_barnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 06:37   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·751 Posts

I expect our beloved forum administrator is behind it all, or I could be wrong, perhaps the gerbils, they seem to get a lot of blame for things also.

Just ignore it, the gerbils (or whomever) are only after attention. As we all know the best way to deal with attention seekers is to ignore them. Wait a few days (I hope), when they are bored with it, and everything should return to the usual English nonsense that we have come to love and expect.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 12:53   #3
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

174128 Posts

Quote:
As we all know the best way to deal with attention seekers is to ignore them.
Attempting to think in a positive manner, we look at this unexpected and bizarre development as an opportunity to expand our language skills. We are just glad that whoever is responsible for this mess didn't pick Latin or Swahili.

Gerbil1: It is all Ernst's fault!
Gerbil2: Yeah!
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 13:17   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23×751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
We are just glad that whoever is responsible for this mess didn't pick Latin or Swahili.
Or Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Now where did I put my Rosetta stone?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 13:57   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We are just glad that whoever is responsible for this mess didn't pick Latin or Swahili.
Nihil obstat quominus hoc faciamus ...
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:31   #6
alpertron

Aug 2002
Buenos Aires, Argentina

2×11×61 Posts

Quote:
Attempting to think in a positive manner, we look at this unexpected and bizarre development as an opportunity to expand our language skills. We are just glad that whoever is responsible for this mess didn't pick Latin or Swahili.

Sorry, but nobody can learn foreign languages by reading laughable translations. Most translations are nonsense in Spanish. I prefer the original titles.
alpertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 15:33   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Or Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Now where did I put my Rosetta stone?
Dunno about your copy, but mine is still on its stand in the lounge.

I picked up my copy from the Ashmolean in Oxford, where they sell very nice half-size replicas. I don't know whether they run a mail-order business in them if anyone else would like a copy.

It really bugs me that the Egyptologists have yet to get their act together and produce an ISO-standard character set for Egyptian. The problem is not in producing the glyphs but in deciding which characters to include. Once they are included, any UTF-aware editor and viewer will be able to handle heiroglyphs, heiratic and demotic as easily as any other script. Coptic (a few letters of which are ϢϣϤϥϦϧϨϩϪϫ) isn't really enough.

If you have the correct font installed, you'll be able to read the real name of my tomcat, which is but the rest of you will have to be content with its English transliteration "Darius".

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2007-08-17 at 15:34 Reason: fix minor typo
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 16:03   #8
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

11111000010102 Posts

Quote:
If you have the correct font installed, you'll be able to read the real name of my bobcat…
We're using Debian and Iceweasel here and we sure would appreciate a clue to get those weird fonts installed, if anyone knows how.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.png
Views:	96
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1902  
Old 2007-08-17, 16:08   #9
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1F0A16 Posts

Quote:
…half-size replicas…
"I have a map of the United States… actual size. It says, 'Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile'. I spent last summer folding it. I also have a full-size map of the world. I hardly ever unroll it."
Old 2007-08-17, 16:35   #10
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts

Quote:
"I have a map of the United States… actual size. It says, 'Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile'. I spent last summer folding it. I also have a full-size map of the world. I hardly ever unroll it."
  • Patron: "I am looking for a globe of the earth."
  • Librarian: "We have a table-top model over here."
  • Patron: "No, that's not good enough. Don't you have a life-size?"
  • Librarian: (pause) "Yes, but it's in use right now."
http://www.rinkworks.com/said/libraries.shtml
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-17, 16:58   #11
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·3·1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpertron View Post
Sorry, but nobody can learn foreign languages by reading laughable translations. Most translations are nonsense in Spanish. I prefer the original titles.
Ejemplos específicos, por favor. Los gerbos pueden ser muy traviesos, pero aparentemente ellos se esfuerzan para algún grado de la certeza en sus traducciones.

Also, you may be thinking of certain threads in which the English gerbil first modified the title to something silly, *then* his hardworking, more serious-minded Spanish colleague rendered a faithful translation of the sillified thread title. In cases such as these, you would be doing Gerbo numero 2 a disservice by blaming the nonsensicalilty on him/her/it.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote