mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-04-08, 18:22   #1
tului
 
Jan 2013

22·17 Posts
Default Which Work Types are Multithreaded

I've noticed it seems P-1 is, but what others would benefit from say having 1 main CPU assigned and 3 others for threads. Regardless of real cores or SMT or HT style debate. Just want to know what all work types can and do in the current build use multiple threads for improvement.
tului is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 18:57   #2
legendarymudkip
 
legendarymudkip's Avatar
 
Jun 2014

23×3×5 Posts
Default

LL, P-1 and ECM are all multithreaded, past a certain point. For P-1 and ECM the cutoff point is around an exponent of 200000, as far as I know. With LL I think the cutoff is very low. I don't know about PRP tests. Trial factoring isn't multithreaded, but GPUs are much better at it, even if it were multithreaded in prime95.
legendarymudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 17:18   #3
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

61018 Posts
Default

Doing ECM on M1277 seems to receive no benefits from multithreading, adding 4 threads it still only uses same cpu percentage as 1 thread.

I think this is because of the tiny FFT length? Multithreading only benefits higher FFT lengths?

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2015-11-28 at 17:19
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 18:07   #4
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tului View Post
I've noticed it seems P-1 is, but what others would benefit from say having 1 main CPU assigned and 3 others for threads. Regardless of real cores or SMT or HT style debate. Just want to know what all work types can and do in the current build use multiple threads for improvement.
On an FX8350, when I was running P-1 with two threads each, four Workers, 8 "cores" (integer units which shared an FPU), there was an interesting pattern. Stage One would pretty much keep both "cores" of the set busy, as would ECM. During Stage Two (28 GiB RAM available), the second core would drop to something like 2/3 of full usage, once the allocated memory for the Worker was fully engaged.

The first screen shot shows a single Stage 2 Worker on the 7th and 8th cores. The other shows the transition from Stage 2 Init for cores 5 and 6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-stage2-2thread1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	13477   Click image for larger version

Name:	End Stage 2 init.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	13478  
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 18:07   #5
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

3,137 Posts
Default

Hmm this is wierd, doing 4 x ECM on M1277 now it uses 4 times as much cpu as before, but each test takes 60% longer than running 1 ECM with 4 threads, even if the cpu usage was low.

Before it was using 12-13% cpu which is what 1 thread normally uses (4 physical cores, 8 threads with HT which I cannot disable). Now 4 tests is using 50% cpu which is the full cpu when HT is enabled.

But since each test is taking 60% longer now it must have gotten some benefits from multithreading before even though it could not be seen in the cpu usage.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2015-11-28 at 18:11
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 21:35   #6
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

22·1,873 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Doing ECM on M1277 seems to receive no benefits from multithreading...

I think this is because of the tiny FFT length? Multithreading only benefits higher FFT lengths?
Yes, only larger FFTs will benefit from multithreading.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 21:59   #7
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

23·599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Hmm this is wierd, doing 4 x ECM on M1277 now it uses 4 times as much cpu as before, but each test takes 60% longer than running 1 ECM with 4 threads, even if the cpu usage was low.

Before it was using 12-13% cpu which is what 1 thread normally uses (4 physical cores, 8 threads with HT which I cannot disable). Now 4 tests is using 50% cpu which is the full cpu when HT is enabled.

But since each test is taking 60% longer now it must have gotten some benefits from multithreading before even though it could not be seen in the cpu usage.
Or HT is decreasing your efficiency... Perhaps you have other tasks going on some cores, or P95 is not properly assigning cores to avoid HT-contention.
VBCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do the different types of work each mean? jrafanelli Information & Answers 20 2019-02-01 05:27
New work types for GPU72? chalsall GPU to 72 72 2013-10-03 20:21
New work types Unregistered Information & Answers 0 2011-07-25 10:19
Work Types Unregistered Information & Answers 3 2010-07-28 09:54
v5 work types S00113 PrimeNet 14 2008-12-10 00:26

All times are UTC. The time now is 23:47.

Tue May 18 23:47:56 UTC 2021 up 40 days, 18:28, 0 users, load averages: 1.78, 1.45, 1.46

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.