mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2016-05-15, 23:24   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

1101101100112 Posts
Default Are there Ophiuchus people?

I'm not saying I believe in astrology, or at least not those damn newspaper things, but I'm wondering something very specific about this new sign Ophiuchus.

Google is no help whatsoever. My basic question is,"Are there people right now that have this sign. It's said to apply to people born between November 29th and December 18th, but I don't know if they mean it's mostly children that have the sign or if some people have a new sign.

I'm not asking for astrological reasons, it's just that I have a sort of fascination for simple seeming questions that Google absolutely cannot process.

Off-topic: Another reason I may be posting this is that I've gotten a chemical in my system that causes rage, or maybe mania. It's called red #10, and it's in things like red hots and, apparently, some Jewish Passover chocolates. The Passover chocolates are purple inside, which is the reason I was slow in tipping myself to the problem. As you probably know, red and blue make purple, but I've only managed to train myself to be paranoid about the red color. Strawberries don't cause the rage, nor any naturally red fruit or veggie, it's specifically the dye, artificial red.

Anyway, I guess this is a two-pronged thread. If you read in the news about the cops taking down a Jason Goatcher in Conway, Arkansas ;) well now you know the reason.

Edit:found the answer about opiuchus, apparently, it's just a constellation and the signs stay the same. But Opiuchus is being described as "true man" which is pretty scary to a Christian or, I guess, a Muslim.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2016-05-15 at 23:38
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-16, 13:10   #2
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Astrology fascinates me. It's a true science with expert practitioners. I am eternally overwhelmed by the skills of its dedicated professionals in their continued success at serving up utter BS to the general public and receiving awed credulity from their perfectly sentient and otherwise presumably intelligent customers.

Mind you, their skills impress me far more than their ethical standards. The following extract from the article below sums it up rather well. After debunking Astrology, Phil Plait has this to say about the harmful nature of its effects. The whole article is a good read, Jason, and I recommend it to you. I know you write above that you don't necessarily believe in Astrology, but asking as you do about the effect of a pattern of visible stars as they appear in our sky on human population seems to indicate that you offer the subject some credence at least.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/astrology.html

Quote:
So what's the harm? Sure, astrology doesn't work, but it's all in fun, right? Wrong.
For one thing, it's estimated that hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on astrology every year in the United States alone. That's real money, folks, wasted on something that doesn't work.
For another, astrology promotes the worst thing in the world: uncritical thinking. The more we teach people to simply accept anecdotal stories, hearsay, cherry-picked data (picking out what supports your claims but ignoring what doesn't), and, frankly, out-and-out lies, the harder it gets for people to think clearly. If you cannot think clearly, you cannot function as a human being. I cannot stress this enough. Uncritical thinking is tearing this world to pieces, and while astrology may not be at the heart of that, it has its role.
For a third, and this one irritates me personally, astrology takes away from the real grandeur of the Universe. We live in an amazing place, this Universe of ours, and it's quite fantastic enough without needing people to make up things about it. Astrology dims the beauty of nature, cheapens it.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-16, 20:25   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Astrology fascinates me. It's a true science with expert practitioners. I am eternally overwhelmed by the skills of its dedicated professionals in their continued success at serving up utter BS to the general public and receiving awed credulity from their perfectly sentient and otherwise presumably intelligent customers.

Mind you, their skills impress me far more than their ethical standards. The following extract from the article below sums it up rather well. After debunking Astrology, Phil Plait has this to say about the harmful nature of its effects. The whole article is a good read, Jason, and I recommend it to you. I know you write above that you don't necessarily believe in Astrology, but asking as you do about the effect of a pattern of visible stars as they appear in our sky on human population seems to indicate that you offer the subject some credence at least.
I do believe astrology is bs. And, of course, some believe my Christian beliefs are bs.

To be honest, for me it's part curiosity and partly my belief that while Satan(if he exists) is a liar, he never starts from nothing. His deceptions are planned and thought out. So if there's a new astrological sign, then the Devil must be about to change gears in some way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, of course, after I've said I don't believe in astrology, I'm going to kind of contradict that by saying I believe in gematria, which is basically a Jewish form of numerology. Whether you find the following entertaining, disturbing or annoying, I offer it anyway.

Going by religious texts, it is thought that Adam was created in 4004 BC.

There's a verse in the New Testament that says something like,"To God a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day.

4004 plus 1996(a recent year) is 6000, 6 is a number of man. Also, since we started at 0, 6000 years counts as the beginning of the 7th day, if a thousand years is a day.

1996,1998 and 1999 are all years with 3 6s, 1996 has 3 6s with 2 upside-down, 1998 is 3 times 666 and 1999 is 3 upside down 6s.

Now, the most fanciful one. If 4004 is year 0, than 2062 is 6066. 6, 3 score and 6 with a seemingly random zero thrown in for flavor.

Not saying it means anything, but this is the kind of stuff my brain always comes back to. My brain is always trying to turn stuff to math. Luckily, though, I don't have anything beyond a high school education, so there are limits to the insanity.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-17, 05:39   #4
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

32×5×7×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I believe in gematria, which is basically a Jewish form of numerology. Whether you find the following entertaining, disturbing or annoying, I offer it anyway.

Going by religious texts, it is thought that Adam was created in 4004 BC.

There's a verse in the New Testament that says something like,"To God a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day.

4004 plus 1996(a recent year) is 6000, 6 is a number of man. Also, since we started at 0, 6000 years counts as the beginning of the 7th day, if a thousand years is a day.

1996,1998 and 1999 are all years with 3 6s, 1996 has 3 6s with 2 upside-down, 1998 is 3 times 666 and 1999 is 3 upside down 6s.

Now, the most fanciful one. If 4004 is year 0, than 2062 is 6066. 6, 3 score and 6 with a seemingly random zero thrown in for flavor.
Yep, that's pretty kooky.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-17, 07:36   #5
MattcAnderson

"Matthew Anderson"
Dec 2010
Oregon, USA

22×179 Posts

Hi Math People,

I agree with Jason. It is possible to buy two newspapers for the same day and read two completely different horoscopes. They are not consistent.

Good to read about the Late November birthdays.

To teach a little about the stars in the sky, from my limited knowledge, 3 bright stars in a row might be Orion's belt. Seven little stars very close together may be the seven sisters. They are gravitationally bound.

Best of luck.

Matt
MattcAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-17, 12:54   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

11×863 Posts

The astronomer and astronomy educator Pamela Gay lets people know that she is an Ophiuchus. She uses that fact to help people understand what a load of bunk astrology is.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-17, 16:55   #7
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

48516 Posts

I'm not a believer in astrology, but us Capricorns are naturally skeptical of most things.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote